Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 349205 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1100 on: August 18, 2006, 10:25:40 AM »
You know you say not to complicate the game.  But Melee easily tripled the complexity over the original and we don't feel that game is complicated...and we know that Brawl is probably going to be simplified over Melee.  

But Melee had Smash attacks which you had to time to pixel perfection to use effectively, and dodges, dashes, extra special moves, Shields that have varying degrees of protection, Those Smash Spike moves and such.  The game was actually very complicated for what it is.  I don't think I even know about 1/20th the depth that is buried in that game.  It just seems simple.

Now, we are just discussing ideas and I don't think these ideas are any less or any more complicated than what is already present in the system.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: August 18, 2006, 11:14:02 AM »
I agree with darkheart.  I want to see Mario's head explode.
GOREGASM!

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: August 18, 2006, 11:26:58 AM »
I think what they meant to say Spak-Spang, is keep the controls simple.

You can make a game complex, yet keep the controls simple enough that the complexity is almost transparent. That's IDEAL for any game (case in point, Mario Tennis 64).
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1103 on: August 18, 2006, 12:11:07 PM »
Requiem:  OH gotcha.  Oops.

I am definately all for that.  Which is kinda why I wanted to make only one means of jumping by a button.  I always thought Up to jump was problematic in many fighters, and ended up limiting how you approached designing attacks.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: August 19, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
I thought of a cool idea if they were to put Sonic in the game, rings could fly out of him when hit, and everyone who gets them gets slightly healed (1% per ring) so he'd become the punching bag that everyone vents their generic rage out at.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 20, 2006, 05:27:47 AM »
What characters would you like to see in the next SSB?
Thought I post it because I haven't seen it posted and I don't want to lose anyones ideas.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1106 on: August 20, 2006, 05:48:30 PM »
GoNintendo has a pretty awesome character select screen designed by one of the readers. You guys should check it out.

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/ssbbrawl_roster.jpg
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: August 21, 2006, 05:50:18 AM »
Blech, if that's what the final screen looked like, I'd be sorely disappointed.

If Sakurai's strategy for deciding characters is "Let's include 3 more characters from each franchise" then it'll be even worse than Melee.

From everything I've read, though, he wants more franchises represented, not more of the same.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1108 on: August 21, 2006, 06:44:11 AM »
Smash:  I agree with you.  We don't just need new characters from each franchise, we need new unique characters that add new variety and strategy to the game play.

Where are is Olimar with his Pikmin Army?

Where is Luigi with the Vaccuum, which would have some awesome abilities?

How about Jill with her Dozer?  No better character has been made to fit the combat style of Smash Brothers.

The list was kinda sad.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: August 21, 2006, 06:51:09 AM »
I agree on a different selection of characters, but as for the layout and design of the screen, it's not bad.  Also, I would love to see Jody in the game.  Grrrrow...but yeah, new characters from different franchises with unique abilities is what they should be going for.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: August 21, 2006, 08:44:54 AM »
i dont think anyone has thrown this out, as a joke or not, for a ice climbers replacement:

young link w/ Tingle.

and yes, they could be cel shaded too ;-).

controls:

up+b = tingle inflates balloon for an upward thrust while link does a spin attack (rising with tingle)
dwn+b = double bombs (both link and tingle pull out bombs to toss)
fwd+b = some sort of fwd slash combo where link and tingle trade off stabs. link uses his sword and tingle uses his magical map writing pen. it could kinda be like marth/roys move where it could be done in four steps or so
b = charge up cyclone spin from wind waker, has a downside where if near or at a full charge you get dazed for a second or two.

super (the smash bros. icon thingy) could be one of those giant bombs from FSA. only way to doge it is to be as close to the far edge of the screen as possible. it would make it dangerous becuase on smaller stages you'd have to time a jump to the edge of the screen and back without being caught in the blast. you could steal mario's idea about sonic, but replace them with ruppees that fall from every character cuaght in the blast that tingle automatically collects.

by the way i was joking in this post
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1111 on: August 23, 2006, 11:43:06 AM »
Go check out the artwork for BWii.  I love the character designs, and I believe we definately need one of those troopers as a fighter in Brawl.  

Hey, perhaps we can be lucky and they can make it a female trooper...though probably not.

I think the cute/anime style would fit well in Smash Brothers Brawl.  The Backpack can carry different weapons, and to be different, you can have the player able to switch items and weapons to have different move sets and special moves.  

I know that Sakurai doesn't want real weapons in the game...but these characters are really cool, and I don't think using fictional military arms is that bad.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1112 on: August 23, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
Leave BWii guys out of this.

The Rifleman can only use a rifle, end of story.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 23, 2006, 02:38:29 PM »
It could be a special agent which could be a female.  With an alternate attack.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1114 on: August 23, 2006, 02:45:16 PM »
Now you're just making up characters.

And that sounds like StarCraft Ghost.  And we all know how that turned out.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 23, 2006, 04:37:35 PM »
Was Ghost ever finished?
GOREGASM!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 23, 2006, 05:31:45 PM »
Nope.
But it's fairly common for a game of Battalion Wars style to have a Hero character.  Considering when Brawl comes out they could make it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1117 on: August 23, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »
Wow, finally got some support for the idea.  Thanks.  

It doesn't have to be a female character, but I dunno, I figure if you are going to take a generic soldier and turn them into a hero type icon, you mind as well make it a female...because male soldiers are done to death.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 24, 2006, 04:48:59 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Blech, if that's what the final screen looked like, I'd be sorely disappointed.

If Sakurai's strategy for deciding characters is "Let's include 3 more characters from each franchise" then it'll be even worse than Melee.

From everything I've read, though, he wants more franchises represented, not more of the same.

I agree, but I must say Ray 01 from Custom Robo is an interesting (potential) addition to the roster. Moves exist already: regular attacks, aerial attacks, pods, bombs and a dash attack. They would obviously need to choose which specific parts but nevertheless it would be a cool character.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 24, 2006, 09:00:20 AM »
Yeah, some of the characters would be a neat idea, but pulling in every last Zelda character and antagonist would just be silly.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 24, 2006, 02:20:15 PM »
Here's my take on what the final charactor selection will be if the game does have around 40 charactors and how the franchises will be represented.

The thing is most of the charactors will be from the existing franchises that are in the game.  Even though I agree it would be great to have alot more franchises represented, the current franchises shown in Melee are the most widely known, best selling series of Nintendo.  Those are the series everyone knows about and so adding more charactors from those series are what's going to get the majority of the gaming population excited.

I'm going to say this right now, Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are all going to have at least two new charactors added to their series since those are Nintendo's top three.  Every other franchise will have one new charactor, except Ice Climbers and Game and Watch since there's no other charactors to add from those series.

So if you break it down we're looking at 13 new charactors coming from existing franchises.  Since Meta Knight and Wario have been shown that'd make 11 new charactors from existing franchises that we dont know about yet.  So when you add all that up, but take into account they will be removing some of the existing charactors, plus the the 2-3 third party charactors, I'd say we're looking at only about 4 new Nintendo frachises being represented and I'm counting Pit as one.  So that leaves 3 more charactors from different Nintendo franchises to be represented.  

The mostly likely choices for those three would have to be Caption Olimar, an Animal Crossing charactor and an Advance Wars charactor since the Pikmin, Animal Crossing and Wars series are the top three most popular franchises from Nintendo that are not represented.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 24, 2006, 04:31:12 PM »
I think it would be awesome if they included the lead from Animal Crossing with all the available customizaions.
Like you choose the name, gender, and even design clothes for him/her.

As for Olimar. He could be a really interesting character. Perfect for novices.
He'd have really pathetic strength and agility but start each stock with a ton of tough AI Pikmin at his disposal to not only protect him but be called to attack other opponents.
Basically he'd be the toughest character with his Pikmin army but basically helpless if and when they're all disposed of.

Don't forget Chibi Robo either. It would make a great addition, cool stage too.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1122 on: August 25, 2006, 04:44:10 AM »
Luigi Dude:  I like your analysis, but I think I will add to it, and disagree some.  

1)Wario will be a Mario representative, and I don't really see any need for another Mario character except maybe Daisy.
2)Zelda Ganondorf with a real move set will be one of the new characters and clone Ganondorf is gone.  
3)I see Pichu disappearing, so when two pokemon are added we will be losing one freeing up more space.
4)Animal Crossing is not the most likely series to get another character, far from it actually, and I have my doubts about Advance Wars as well.

Here is a major disagreement, I believe we will have less new characters from already represented franchises, and more single characters from popular franchises.

I expect representations from:
Pikmin
Drill Doser
Advanced Wars
and I expect around 4 to 5 different 3rd party characters represented.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #1123 on: August 25, 2006, 08:46:05 AM »

Originally posted by: Spak-Spang
and I expect around 4 to 5 different 3rd party characters represented.

Sakurai already went on record saying there was only going to be 2-3 in the game (including Snake), so that's not likely.

Also, just to be clear, that "around 40" number came from the same false piece of news that stated that Baby Bowser was confirmed, so we really have no idea what number of characters might make it in.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 25, 2006, 08:58:27 AM »
Given the popularity of Animal Crossing, it would be nice if there were more than just trophies for Brawl.

While I would like a fighter like the main character, what would he/she be called?  "Boy"/"Girl"?  And it could be either really cool or really weird to see K.K. Slider or Tom Nook trying to fight.

Maybe Tom Nook could appear in a Coin match and he and Bandit (from the Yoshi games) might run by and grab any loose Coins?