Author Topic: Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed  (Read 37047 times)

Offline Shin Gallon

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Wii
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2006, 08:44:48 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Originally posted by: Shin Gallon
I've tried for years and I'll never understand how they expect you to play that series with a Playstation or SNES controller and still be ablt to effectively do combos.

I'm guessing something like

This:

Or maybe this:

Perhaps I'm just to old...

I had both of those, I bought a SNES arcade stick so I could play them properly. Street Fighter is unplayable without 6 face buttons in a 2 row, 3 column arrangement.

"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline 1day

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2006, 08:54:21 PM »
From my experience of playing with Logitech's PS2 controller, it doesn't have to be uncomfortable when the stick is in that position; as for the other one, I'd say it leaves it open to more potential...but I'd also say it gives it a better sense of harmony and symmetry that we all know and love.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
RE: Wii
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2006, 08:59:45 PM »
It's funny, I've never had a single problem out of the PS2 pad's analog stick placement, and nor has anyone else I've ever met in my life for that matter...
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »
This slightly off topic, but 6 buttons across the face of your controller will help with the SF games, but you will still be left in the dust by anyone with a real arcade setup. Notice I didnt say arcade stick, because the act of having one, even a really good one, means squat. To take true advantage of it, you need to have it set up and secured to a stand that puts it at releative arcade cabinet height. Then you need to weigh it down, so it wont move all over the place.

I worked at an arcade for over 5 years, and played in area that is host to some of America's best players (California, valley area). I played fanatically and in tournaments whenever possible. I had many friends whom thought they could play just as well with a pad as any tourney player could with an arcade stick. The best way to show the how wrong they were was to just have them come to the arcade when the tourney SF crowd filed in to get practice. When they started to see all the things those guys pulled off, and how hard they laughed when asked if they thought they could do that on a home console pad, they kinda figured it out.
Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2006, 09:06:18 PM »

Plus the analogue sticks are too smooth...

Well, now Nintendo is going with a smooth style for their analog sticks as well. I'm sure they'll feel much better than PS's sticks, though.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2006, 09:18:36 PM »
Well, I've never had a problem with Nintendo analogue sticks, so this one should be fine. I was thinking moreso of the resistance of the sticks when I wrote that. The Dualshock analogue sticks just don't have enough resistance for me, and feel too "smooth" when I use them. Same as the Xbox ones. The GameCube sticks, on the other hand, just feel right; especially in terms of resistance.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline OverHeat

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 10:27:09 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Well, I've never had a problem with Nintendo analogue sticks, so this one should be fine. I was thinking moreso of the resistance of the sticks when I wrote that. The Dualshock analogue sticks just don't have enough resistance for me, and feel too "smooth" when I use them. Same as the Xbox ones. The GameCube sticks, on the other hand, just feel right; especially in terms of resistance.

Dualshocks bugged me in this way too. What it boils down to me is, how many bad/sucky/crappy controllers has Nintendo made? Faith people, faith. I have alot of non-Nintendo fan friends and the general consenscious(sp?) that I contantly get is that the N64 has a "crappy" controller. Now dont shoot the messanger here, I liked the old N64 controllers alot.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2006, 10:28:31 PM »

I was thinking moreso of the resistance of the sticks when I wrote that. The Dualshock analogue sticks just don't have enough resistance for me, and feel too "smooth" when I use them. Same as the Xbox ones. The GameCube sticks, on the other hand, just feel right; especially in terms of resistance.

Oh yeah. Nintendo's sticks have the most fantastic springy, spongy, feel. I tried moving around a cube stick and a ps2 around at the same time recently, there's just no comparison (even if the cube stick had developed an annoying dead-zone).
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
RE: Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2006, 12:24:47 AM »
at least both analog sticks are the same size, bye bye c-nipple.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.”

Offline mmortal03

• View Profile
RE:Wii 'Classic Controller' Revealed
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2006, 06:39:14 AM »
Yeah, the controller would be great for the Street Fighter II and Alpha series if we could have six buttons on the front. That is what I always wanted back then, because playing Street Fighter with the shoulder buttons is very annoying.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2006, 06:50:31 AM »
I think that a N64 pad with extra analog placed below in the right handle and analog shoulders is perfect and could be even used for the Cube games. maybe it looks a bit scary and complicated but the virtual console target fanbase arent going to mind that at all.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2006, 11:33:53 AM »
Have you guys seen this yet?

Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2006, 11:50:26 AM »
Can't third parties make a controller if this one ends up being inadequate?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »
Hey guys, check out the article again for an update from the show floor.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2006, 02:06:27 PM »
vudu: Maybe they do attack, but that looks pretty unwieldy.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2006, 02:11:06 PM »
Seeing the back of the controller makes me no more confident that it will be comfortable or natural, but I'll reserve final judgement until I hear some impressions and/or get to hold it myself.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2006, 02:30:42 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
Have you guys seen this yet?

8====D

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2006, 02:36:17 PM »
I'll try and write more detailed impressions later, but to be brief, I thought the controller was SUPER comfortable and many others felt the same.  I actually heard one person say "This is what they should have done with the GameCube controller."

BTW, We were able to play Mario 64, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, Sonic 1, and Bonk.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2006, 02:54:23 PM »
Dah...no point getting rid of the fourth shoulder button, I thought they were finally coming to their senses. I hope they price the controller right...
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2006, 03:00:56 PM »
How big is the controller? if its smaller than the GC one it might be slightly tolerable such placement for the analogs.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline mmortal03

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2006, 04:18:03 PM »
Ok, so I have seen screens of the Virtual console going around the 'net, and they have a screen for each game that shows how the controls are mapped.  Problem is, they didn't show the controller screen for Super Mario 64, so it was still impossible to figure out how they will map N64 games to this.

Pale: Since you played it on the floor, how were the controls and the C-buttons mapped for Super Mario 64?

Also, did anyone notice that on the picture of it from behind, not only was there only one Z shoulder button, as he mentioned in the article, but the cord wasn't coming out of the top anymore, and instead oddly coming out of the bottom?

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2006, 05:42:45 PM »
It makes sense that the cord would come out of the bottom, as it plugs into the remote like the nunchuck does.   If the remote does attach to those clips, then the cord would have to come out the back, lest it be wrapped around the entire combination.

Offline mmortal03

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2006, 05:51:07 PM »
Yeah, I am assuming that it hooks into the wii-mote, and then the wii-mote clips on to the back, on to those grooves, but who knows, because that would be too simple of a secret for them to want to keep about those grooves on the back.

So is that picture with the wii-mote on the top of it official, or photoshopped?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »
In order for it to clip into the remote, the remote would have to be redesigned, or there would have to be a harness.  The back or the remote itself shows no signs of clipping into something.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, as I assumed that at first.  It's just nothing really points to it yet.  A harness would be kind of annoying to store and stuff.
---------------------

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »
Oh, and as for Mario 64, I didn't play it... ><  I know some others on staff did.  Hopefully they'll pop in here.  I will say that I've heard some complaints though.  ><
---------------------