Author Topic: Amazing Deals!  (Read 296675 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Deals!
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2010, 02:18:46 AM »
Not too bad a deal, especially considering the free shipping.

If only I owned  360....

/cry
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2010, 04:22:21 PM »
These threads are depressing for me because I keep seeing games I bought for full price and then, at best, played only a little of them so far, but usually I haven't even seen the title screen, for quite a bit less than that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2010, 04:29:37 PM »
That does suck. Like when I bough MPTrilogy as part of a B2G1 free thing with DSE and something else, and then a week or 2 later they both go on sale for $20 each meaning I spent $60 more than I needed to on 2 games, one of which I still haven't opened and the other that I only played for a short amount of time. I could have waited on those 2 games and just bought the game I got for free, or got 2 other games at full price and had 2 more games I likely wouldn't have gotten around to yet.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »
Yeah, during the holidays I remember quite a few places had MP Trilogy for $19.99. It REALLY sucks that I didn't grab a bunch of copies of it back then, because I could have sold them now (or in the future) on ebay for huge profit.

Most games drop drastically in price if you wait awhile. Anything on 360 or ps3 will cost $60 at first, but if you wait long enough it will drop to $19 or less. That's almost a certainty. Nintendo games are the one big exception to this rule, because Nintnedo will never discount the price and they will just cease production of it if the sales slacken.

So this means Nintendo games don't really decrease in price, and in fact they can even INCREASE in price because once Nintendo stops shipping them they become scarce and highly sought after.

So having missed out on the Metroid Trilogy for $19 I am kinda pissed, but I learned from this and next time Nintendo comes out with something like that and its that cheap I'll be sure to grab it. Even if it isn't something I'm not interested in, because there is always ebay...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:20:13 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 26, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »
Psychonauts - $2 on Steam

I still can't believe this game never came to the GC.
If it had, I would have owned it and pretty sure I would have liked it.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 26, 2010, 04:28:04 PM »
Great deal.  I played the game on PC a couple years ago then Game Tap had it as a free game for a month.  It was tons of fun.  I'll probably pick this up on the off-chance I ever want to play it again in the future.

I love Steam.  I hate all the whiny cry-babies who complain about purchasing vs. licensing and DRM and all that junk.  Then again, I've never bought anything on it that cost more than $10, so I'm not too worried if I lose my rights to a game in the distant future.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 26, 2010, 04:32:16 PM »
If steam were to go down, couldn't hey just un-DRM all the games that have been purchased so that they work without having to check for authenticity?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 26, 2010, 04:46:35 PM »
Of course they could.  Granted, there's no guarantee they would.  Plus, what would happened to all the games that you had purchased but weren't installed on your computer at the moment?  If Valve is bankrupt and closing up shop giving people ownership rights to games they only licensed probably isn't their top priority.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 26, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
It might be possible to break the encryption on communication with the steam servers, which would let you intercept and spoof them so you could play the games you have installed.  That's not feasible now because it would take a lot of processing time to break the encryption, and then Valve could release an update in a half hour.  But if they go bankrupt, there won't be any more updates.

On the other hand, if the servers weren't running, reverse engineering half of the communications would add another wrinkle.  Breaking the client itself might actually be simpler then.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:54:07 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 26, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
I'm fairly certain that Valve has said that if Steam ever ceases to exist they intend to unlock all purchased games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 26, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »
Does Valve have complete say in the matter?  I would think the individual publishers could let the games die if they wanted to.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 26, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
Valve could just be referring to their own games, not ones owned by other companies. Though Valve could have made it part of the licensing contract that the games get 'unlocked' so that people who legitimately payed for them could still enjoy them (though the lack of a physical install disc means it has to stay on that computer alone and can't be taken to another machine).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2010, 12:19:43 AM »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2010, 04:10:48 PM »
Sam & Max Season 1 - $5

I saw this deal on Joystiq and though, "Oh snap, it's not quiet free and it's not on Mac, but for that price I pity the fool who doesn't get this"

Heck, at that price it beats pirating the damn thing. It's certainly faster and more convenient. Now I wish Steam wouldn't break on me so often...
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 31, 2010, 03:20:47 AM »
Steam Sale: 1/31/2010 (today only):

Both Freedom Force games (the original and its expansion pack): $2.00 for the both of them together
All the X-Com games (whatever they are): $2.00 for all of them together

I've never tried the Freedom Force games, and I need something to play till Bioshock 2 comes out.  I may just check that out.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline mustbeburt

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 01, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »
anyone know where i could get any of the mario wii games for pretty cheap (galaxy, paper mario, mario party...)??  thanks!

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 01, 2010, 10:09:37 PM »
Sam & Max Season 1 - $5

I saw this deal on Joystiq and though, "Oh snap, it's not quiet free and it's not on Mac, but for that price I pity the fool who doesn't get this"

Heck, at that price it beats pirating the damn thing. It's certainly faster and more convenient. Now I wish Steam wouldn't break on me so often...

Speaking of, anyone know if there is a digital copy of Sam n Max Hit the Road?  It was the first or second game in the series, from the nineties.  Its not on Steam so I'm assuming my best option picking up an old cd.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2010, 02:16:08 PM »
PSN Sale: Do you like Flower?  Well, the guys from Thatgamecompany have their previous work, flOw up for sale today (2/13/2010) only for the low low price of...nothing!  The base game will cost you nothing to download, and it has trophies.  So what are you waiting for?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2010, 10:46:01 PM »
Yup.  I was lucky to catch that one yesterday, I've wanted to check out Flow for awhile. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2010, 03:25:05 AM »
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun + Firestorm expansion

All for Free from EA
http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic?sourceid=eag1321

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »
I've never played any of the C & C games other than a couple hours of dabbling in college.  Any of these still worth playing?  Which one is "the best"?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »
They are all free, just download them all, sort them out later :P

But to answer your question.... I don't know. The only one I've played is the first one.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »
Red Alert was a pretty awesome game. I didn't like Tiberian Sun, and never played Tiberian Dawn. But Red Alert was cool...

It was cool of EA to release these games as freeware. They aren't profiting from them anymore, so why not? Lots of companies won't do that, though. But anyways, check out RA at least.
is your sanity...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
I own Tiberium Sun and the expansion pack and they didn't impress me terribly. Go with the other ones since they are generally viewed as classics. I never have completely beaten a C&C game's singleplayer mode outside of Generals so I'll be getting these and trying once more.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2010, 06:18:53 AM »
I've never played any of the C & C games other than a couple hours of dabbling in college.  Any of these still worth playing?  Which one is "the best"?

IMO, the only "classic" C&C game still worth playing is Red Alert 2...which is not part of this release.  Of those that are here, Tiberian Sun is fun but really really dated.  It's literally a Tank Rush game when you get down to it, but it has some fun campaign missions (especially on the Nod side towards the end of the game, when you spend most of your missions stealing GDI equipment, including the all-mighty Ion Canon); destructible terrain; and probably the most effective artillery (on the Nod side...seriously, those things do not miss....ever...in the original Tiberian Sun, but are useless in the expansion) in the history of RTS.

The original C&C is kind of fun in a nostalgic way, but its campaigns are really hard and the interface is incredibly antiquated now.  Red Alert has a cool story, but has the same gameplay problems as the original C&C.