Author Topic: What microsoft thinks of the virtual console.  (Read 14721 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: What microsoft thinks of the virtual console.
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2006, 06:28:52 AM »
Well, we all know this guy at Microsoft opened his mouth and barfed a big pile of balogna all over the table.  He's just doing his job but he's obviously totally wrong.  There are a couple of other interesting topics, here, though:

Opening game development up: I personally like this idea although I'd want to see quality control done somehow.  Someone was discussing not trusting Nintendo's approval system due to Superman 64...there's always some crud slipping through the cracks.  The NES had games that were easily as bad as Superman 64, and I bet the Super NES did too.  Superman 64 just somehow became an icon for bad games everywhere, maybe because the N64 didn't have a lot of games and Superman is such a popular figure, it was easy for his misadventure to earn a lot of publicity compared to, say, Tag Team Wrestling or Amagon, my two most-hated NES games.

Developing for less-popular systems: Yeah, I agree that this can be a good strategy for a lot of companies.  However, I think your product needs to stand out for the strategy to really work - for example GameCube owners will be all over an exclusive that is of good quality (Viewtiful Joe, Tales of Symphonia) but lower-quality games don't do as well (Geist and Batallion Wars).  If you're going to release junk, PS2 is still a great place to do it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 09:01:26 AM »
Correction.  Battalion Wars is a decent game.  Geist falls short of worthy, but it's still significant; its ideas will show up in future games (aka stolen?).

I'll group them with Killer 7:  their DISMAL sales have a lot to do with how their publisher marketed them.  All 3 of them weren't made by internal teams (or teams with a healthy, established history with the publisher).  Interestingly enough, Capcom and Nintendo "forgot" to advertise them!  Sure, a magazine article here, an IGN review there, one in-store prop, but they didn't push them in a way to make us care.  It was just "ok, here it is, no this isn't another E3, you're not dreaming".  There was also little hands-on opportunities for the press between their trade-show appearances and releases, and we only really heard more once they were about to launch.

I love all 3 of them, but I also expect sales/marketing for Chibi-Robo to experience the same deal, despite some of our peers expressing enjoyment from the game.

NINTENBO IS TEH SUKK
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:What microsoft thinks of the virtual console.
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2006, 10:30:03 AM »
The thing with Sega is the Revolutiond DOESNT ALLOW emulation of the systems AND Sega has already stated that its NOT IN THIER BEST INTEREST. They said they would LIKE to support REV VC BUT its not feesable.

Also BECAUSE thier games are on every other platform IS reason not to put them on REV, theres no need to, SEGA had MANY compilations that never made it to GC.  Sonic is different story but SEGA is so muc MORE than SONIC! Sonic tehy alraedy agreed will be on REV, first a new games, second Sonic Mega Collection. Thier other old games arent on GC at all. Sega has barely suported GC and they barely suport GBA and DS so theres reason to beleive they will still focus on itehr systems taht make them profit. Sega is far more profitable now than they have been in YEARS and they arent stupid enouigh to screw that up.

goto Sega.com and do some lookng around Sega has already said trhey are more interested in 360 than ANYTHING else right now, thats were their suport is going, Segas alwasy been a Technology company and 360 offers new technology for them to toy with.

And the bottum line is the REV will not have GENESIS,SMS, Satrun, and Sega CD EMULATORS BUILT IN, so in order for it to play thos egames they have to do a lto of extra work or something.

"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2006, 11:55:42 AM »

Originally posted by: animecyberrat
The thing with Sega is the Revolutiond DOESNT ALLOW emulation of the systems AND Sega has already stated that its NOT IN THIER BEST INTEREST. They said they would LIKE to support REV VC BUT its not feesable.
And the bottum line is the REV will not have GENESIS,SMS, Satrun, and Sega CD EMULATORS BUILT IN, so in order for it to play thos egames they have to do a lto of extra work or something.

Oh, please.  You're telling me the Revolution wouldn't be able to do "blast processing"?  

If they wanted to emulate them, they could.  It's a business issue, much more than any technical one.

And for goodness sakes, slow down when you type!

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 12:36:24 PM »
SEGA sucks, they have no idea how to make good names and they consistantly make THE worst business decisions ever.  I hope they never release another game again.

Now excuse me while I go play REAL games.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2006, 12:43:26 PM »
I, for one, refuse to believe that Sega would pass up the opportunity to resell the roms for all of their old games yet again.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2006, 12:57:43 PM »
Correction to my last post:
When I said "lower" quality, I didn't mean the games are low-quality, I just meant they aren't as good as Viewtiful Joe or Tales of Symphonia.  And also, I meant to say Killer 7 rather than Battalion Wars, since my impression is that BT is actually a very good game.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2006, 08:36:03 PM »
Yep, Sega loves supporting the XBox, the console whose userbase doesn't like Sega's approach to games and shows it by not buying what Sega makes. I don't know what kind of insanity is driving Sega but they're more suicidal than lemmings. Their XBox exclusives would have sold big on any other platform. Maybe they have a grudge against Sony and Nintendo because those two companies did 10% of Sega's sinking (Sega itself was 90%) and MS hasn't hurt Sega yet or something stupid like that. But then again Sega did give sizeable support to the PS2 and GC...

Offline Ages

• Wii the People
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2006, 08:34:22 AM »
I think it would have to do with hats...made of money heh.  Probably had more to do with idea that Microsoft had no franchises on the system.  If Sega had (smartly) seen what kind of gamer MS was attracting, they would've seen they could have sold many more games on the Cube, as they had similar fanbases.  Also, remember how close Microsoft and Sega were back in the DC days.  The DC ran off a version of Windows CE and the DC controller was completely "borrowed" for the Xbox.
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you n

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2006, 06:55:04 PM »

SEGA sucks, they have no idea how to make good names and they consistantly make THE worst business decisions ever. I hope they never release another game again.

YOU suck, and have no idea what good games are and you consistantly show THE worst taste in games ever. I hope you never release your opinion on another game again.

Now excuse me while I go play Super Monkey Ball.

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2006, 09:05:53 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering

SEGA sucks, they have no idea how to make good names and they consistantly make THE worst business decisions ever. I hope they never release another game again.

YOU suck, and have no idea what good games are and you consistantly show THE worst taste in games ever. I hope you never release your opinion on another game again.

Now excuse me while I go play Super Monkey Ball.

Oh yes, SMB. That's out for the PS2 isn't it? You know, it's one of their major flops on the PS2.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2006, 09:43:03 PM »
Bad business decision? Yes. Bad game? No.

So, several parts of your argument still don't hold water. Namely: the 'sega sucks' part, the 'sega makes bad games part' and the 'sega doesn't make real games' part.

...or wait. Did you say 'they don't know how to make real names'? As in, you don't like the name 'sonic' for some reason? That changes everything!
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2006, 01:59:45 AM »
Bad business decision? If SMB were a bad decision it wouldn't have been Sega's biggest seller this gen (okay, so I'm not sure that it's Sega's biggest seller but I don't think they have any other big sellers except for Sonic and Sonic is a turd with spikes).

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2006, 04:01:47 AM »
Maybe my taste is a little off, but Sonic, even as a "turd with spikes", as you say, I still find enjoyable.

Yes, I liked Sonic Heroes.  Shoot me.

I used to say "Sega sucks!" when I was a Nintendo fanboy.  (Now I'm a fan, there's a difference.)  But that was back in the NES/Master System and Super NES/Genesis days when my preference was for the Nintendo console and the versions of the games for them.  Sega themselves...well, their own games are as good or better than many other developers'.

Sega may make bad decisions now and then but I think they're still enough of a force and I would rather see as many Sega games appear on Nintendo consoles as possible than on the others.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2006, 06:52:31 AM »
I liked Sonic Adventure 2, quite a bit actually.  However, I admit the games are flawed and Sega doesn't seem to ever address the flaws...that's the big  issue.