Author Topic: Seriously, guys, get a S-video cable for your Cube. It REALLY mkaes a BIG difference.  (Read 11901 times)

Offline Bonethugs

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Saturday I went to my local GameStop store here in KC, just to see what new games came out. Now I've been a Nintendo fan since day 1, but I'm amazed at all the games I see for it. Some game I didn't even know where out, and I keep up with that stuff, but any I looked at the S-video cable, and saw it was only $10, so I picked it up. Now I heard it made a difference in picture quality from here , and other sources, and the guy at the store said it made a big difference, and I thouht "yeah right", but since it was only $10 I got it any way. Now the Cube already has great graphics. But when I hooked the S-Video up, it looked a 100, no 1000 times better. I have a 32" TV, and the picture is MUCH MUCH more sharper. The lettering is great. I was playing Madden, Live, and I put in Need for Speed......enough said it amazng. I got one of those free DVD's Nintendo had in store for their Holiday games, and the footage on that looked way better than how I originallu had it with no S-video cable, btu I'm pretty sure they used a S-video on that footage. It's worth it people. I can't wait till All-Star Baseball 2004 comes out this week, it going to be tight like a virgin.

Offline TAYREL713

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I hear you on that, the display just really brightens up and things get real clear. The thing is, it can get better with component cables, could you imagine and even better display?  
"I put my foot so deep in your ass the water in my knee will quench your thirst." (Ras Kass 'Miami Life')

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
sad my tv has no svideo
LZ 2005

Offline adamhap

• View Profile
I have a 32" non HDTV with componet.  I got the component cables and it only made a slight difference from the S-video cables.  I also notice that on somegames the clarity can make them look a little shotty.  Like Tiger Woods 2003 with just composite cables the faces don't seem as blotchy and the textures seem to blend better then when using Component.  Just an observation on my end.

Adam
Mature people don't care about (in)mature games

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Just a question.

There's no way in Hell I can get the official S-Video cable in here... so will any cheap third-party one do just as well?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline ShutEye

• View Profile
I use the Madcatz cables and they work great.  S-video is highly recommended.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Just a short description of how my video works....  I have a long RCA cable I use as an extension, so that my video output can reach my VCR.  My VCR is an old piece of crap that doesn't really work anymore.  Its single purpose in life is to provide picture for my GameCube and N64.  From there, a coaxial cable runs to my TV.  The TV is ok, but I can't adjust the brightness, and it's dark as hell.  A quirk with it though is that unless the cable going into it is aligned just right, and the moon is full, and the planets are in alignment, there is just no way in hell I can get decent picture.  There is always a whole bunch of interference on the screen.

It's just something I have learned to live with.  I do mean to buy a VGA box someday though, as my monitor is pretty decent.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
I wish I could use S-Video. As it is, only one TV in my house even has AV jacks- I'm using R/F cables now, so if you guys think you're missing out on something, remember those guys who have the crappy TV's.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
S-Video can be both - A plus and a minus to your viewing experience. Although I do not have my GameCube hooked-up to S-Video, I recently changed my DVD hook-up to S-Video (from RCAs). The picture is phenonimal in most cases, but at the same time, S-Video also exposes every minor flaw that is usually blurred out with regular RCAs. Until technology improves a bit, I don't think it will be possible to get the best of both world just yet.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Alliedrally68

• View Profile
Yeah, I have mine hooked up through component as well.  It's too bad that you have to order it through their website only though.  It'd be nice just to be able to walk into the store and pick it up.
Allied Rally
.....////////......///////....
...///...........///...///....
..////////.......//////.......
.///...///.....///...///......
.///////......///////.........  "

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
component inputs are very seldom
i have s-video on our big thompson in the living room but i dont play on it often because its 16:9 and..well, in the living room

ive more games begin to support 16:9 which i desperately hope then i must get a fancy tv myself

altough my tv is fine, metroid still has awesome graphics for example
good thing i never saw S-Video
LZ 2005

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Simple fact: If you have a TV (25" and up) that has an S-Video jack, buy an S-Video cable.  The Madcatz and Interact ones are great, considering they also come with the standard yellow RCA video jack too.

However, if you have a TV with component inputs, you should still probably get an S-Video cable simply because the difference between component and super isn't all the huge on the smaller TVs.  Of course, if you have something like a 36 or higher, or a projection TV, by all means, spend the $35 and get one, since you'll almost need one to get progressive scan.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline spartus

• View Profile
I don't see a difference. It's because I am color blind I bet. Some of my friends say they see a difference others don't.  
My systems: Jaguar/Jaguar CD, Saturn, 3DO, N64, Dreamcast, Genesis, NES, SNES, GameCube, PS2, Xbox.

Offline NoVisAnima

• View Profile
Since i live in europe my cube doesn't output s-video or component. Only composite and RGB scart. Since i run my Gamecube though my computer's tv card this meant i could only use composite .
That was until i found an RGB scart to s-video converter, this connection is sooo much better than the composite, i always noticed the mass of dot crawl fuzzing around the picture, and now... it's bliss.

Offline David G

• View Profile
I have the mad catz multiple console s video cables.  Do I hook up the yellow video rca with svideo, or just the svideo and sound?

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile

Originally posted by: David G
Do I hook up the yellow video rca with svideo, or just the svideo and sound?
Just the S-Video and sound.

PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline RockmanX

• View Profile
Grey Ninja, I used to run my cables through the VCR, what the problem is with that is that you're still getting what you'd be using with an RF switch.  Since your VCR probably uses RF cables to be hooked up.  If you buy an RF switch for your GC, the picture might be better because you'd get a connection from the GC straight to the TV.

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile
Good to hear.  I got an S-Video on its way in the mail.

I play my GC through the computer since I have a 20" monitor, and my TV is inredibly old w/ no inputs other then RF (1982).  Been going RCA so far now, and it doesn't look very pretty on a computer monitor naturally.  I was hoping an S-Video cable would make things a bit better.  It'll never look as good as a TV since monitors are too high resolution, but better than nothing.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: RockmanX
Grey Ninja, I used to run my cables through the VCR, what the problem is with that is that you're still getting what you'd be using with an RF switch.  Since your VCR probably uses RF cables to be hooked up.  If you buy an RF switch for your GC, the picture might be better because you'd get a connection from the GC straight to the TV.

The majority of the problem is my TV.  The jack in the back is totally messed, and doesn't like any cord that much.  The one I have in it right now is the only one that gives me a semblance of a good picture.  If I fight with it long enough though, I can get a decent picture for about 30 minutes without error.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Other than GameStop where might I be able to pick one of these cables up? Also I read there are different kinds,  I want the best, so can someone tell me what its called?  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Scyth3r

• View Profile

Originally posted by: Caterkiller
Other than GameStop where might I be able to pick one of these cables up? Also I read there are different kinds,  I want the best, so can someone tell me what its called?

They ahve these thigns everywhere.

Best Buy, CompUSA, EBGames... any game retailer.

I highly doubt there will be any noticeable difference (if any) between the the s-video adapters.   You could always buy the $50+ or whatever the price is for the Gamecube monster cables, but trust me... you're not going to see a difference.

Offline NickNiteQ93

• View Profile
Hey all.  I was wondering something.  First off, wish me luck.  My dad's gettin a new TV, and I wanna bum his old 32" one off his back cuz it's got S-Video.  Also, when you hook up the S-Video, do you hook both the big black and yellow cable, or just the black?  

Oh, and if you can afford to buy one, get a Sony Wega.  It doubles the res of almost any input device (including GC).  Makes a HUGE difference.  If S-Video looks like that, I'm hooked.  Nothing like actually being able to read the type in ED or MP or RE.  
I think, therefore I wish.  I wish, therefore I'll never get.          

Life is long and hard, so rock out with your cock out.

Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: TAYREL713
I hear you on that, the display just really brightens up and things get real clear. The thing is, it can get better with component cables, could you imagine and even better display?
The difference between Super-VHS/ S-Video and Component Video is not visible on a standard TV.  You need a hi-resolution HDTV and even then you'd likely need a magnifying glass.

The reason Super-VHS/ S-Video is so much better than the single RCA composite plug is because chroma is kept separate... and that prevents color bleeding/blurring.  Maybe I'll go pick up mine now.  

Offline Riotamus

• View Profile
I've got the chance to buy either the gold plated rgb scart cable or the gold plated s-video cable, so which do i go for?, i have an s-video to scart adapter for my pc which is gold plated, as i run my dvd's through a wharfedale 28'' through the scart socket in the back, would this work fine with the s-video cable for the cube?.

Offline EggyToast

• View Profile
I have a big projection HDTV with component plugs, and oh man, it's fantastic.  Seeing Metroid Prime take up half the wall is breathtaking.  I've got two component plugs (one for prog. scan dvd player, one for 'cube), and it's great to turn on the split screen and play a game on one side while someone else watches telly or a movie on the other, and the screen is still big enough to easily see what's going on.  And 4 player split screen?  oooooo!

But yeah, it kinda sucks for older games.  OoT looks better, sure, but you definitely notice the crappy N64 textures and blockiness.