Author Topic: DivX?  (Read 13605 times)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2003, 01:30:10 PM »
VIP? We're cool enough to have VIP's now? Kickin'.

Eh, to the guy who said he hoped Metroid Prime 2 would use it, why? The the best of my knowledge, Metroid Prime sported no FMV and if it did it was so well done I didn't notice it and hence doesn't need the benefits of DivX. It's possibl MP2 will have some CG stuff, but I doubt it.

"INCONCEIVABLE!!!" (from Griffin's signature)

Just asking, but did you get that from The Princess Bride? Wallace Shawn as Vizzini says inconceivable all the time in that movie- so funny.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2003, 02:01:55 PM »

Originally posted by: RickPowers
By the way, guys.  Stop hitting on the VIP.  

Yeah, I was going to comment on that too, but didn't quite know how to say it.    Just curious though... who is she?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: DivX?
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2003, 04:51:57 PM »
Well, she works at DivX Networks, I'll say that much.  Anything else, I'll leave to her to reveal.  Ladies don't like it very much when you go babbering all their secrets.  

Oh, and she's certainly not the only VIP here.  There are others, some just haven't chosen to reveal themselves yet.  Time will tell.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2003, 05:43:58 PM »
Okay, okay, I'll admit it.

I'm a VIP.

Now.. All I need is a custom tag....

*Glances around room*

*Dives out window*

Offline DivXGamingGrl

• VIP
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2003, 02:02:33 PM »
Thanks Rick! There is a certain appeal to keeping the mystery going Hopefully several of the companies we met with at E3 will soon be taking up DivX as well... were any of you there?  

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
DivX?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2003, 03:04:51 PM »

Originally posted by: DivXGamingGrl
Thanks Rick! There is a certain appeal to keeping the mystery going Hopefully several of the companies we met with at E3 will soon be taking up DivX as well... were any of you there?

No, I wasn't.

But I did pay the $30 to be a licensed DivX Pro user, how about that?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2003, 03:11:17 PM »
Oh, you bet I was there.  I've already heard a couple companies saying that they're considering the DivX tools for GameCube, so hopefully that's a good sign.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2003, 03:46:00 PM »
Yes, I'm sure the majority of GC owners would be pleased if DivX became the standard for GC developers.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2003, 03:47:03 PM »
At the risk of actually getting this thread back on topic, how expensive is using DivX for the Gamecube? I understand 3rd parties need to make money on their games, but I'm not fond of developers taking short cuts to make more money when it's the consumer that gets the short end of the stick (read: crappy game). Although I really do have a lot more respect for 3rd parties and their plite after listening to the Seamus Blackley interview.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2003, 03:48:26 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666

No, I wasn't.

Erm... I downloaded the spyware infested pro pack, and later reformatted my hard drive to clean it all off and installed the basic pack... then I hassled PGC to use DivX encoding in their game movies.  

Anyways, it's great to have you here DivXGamingGrl, as the presence of VIPs such as yourself does nothing but enhance the quality of this board.  And you can be sure that all GameCube owners are very pleased about DivX support on our system.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2003, 05:06:45 PM »
i remember on the old forums i got my own little vip description because i spelled scorpion wrong....
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2003, 05:22:59 PM »
Heh... I would have made you a Very "Special" person.  

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2003, 05:32:34 PM »

By the way, guys. Stop hitting on the VIP.

It's his fault for using a name that suggests that he's a female.

I've gotten hit on by men a number of times since I picked up the "Ruby" part of my name, but you just get used to it.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2003, 05:49:52 PM »
Hey Ruby,

"How you doin'?"

... Oh, *reads post*

Nevermind.

Anyway, after witnessing Enter The Matrix with it's uber cool looking video clips, I'd like it very much if more developers would use the technology. I'm looking in your direction Silicon Knights and EA. ... Somehow.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2003, 06:15:12 PM »
i believe i read somewhere that the DivX tools were being used by Factor 5 to play cinematics in real-time... maybe so clips from Star Wars movies can be played at the same time that a cut scene is rendered around it?
(eg. luke watching R2D2 play the clip of Princess Leia, all done with polygons, but the clip is from the movie)

i thought i also read somewhere that a video could be placed onto polygons or something, like a texture, with this kind of compression.  i dunno, i hope i didn't dream that info but it may be possible.
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2003, 06:33:08 PM »
I didn't think that made any sense at first...but now it does. The GCN can display FMV at any angle, so maybe they could use a DivX encoded video as a texture...but I don't really see why that would be necessary unless it was used for moving water or fire or something.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2003, 07:53:02 PM »
Ruby ... she IS a girl.  It's still rude to hit on her.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2003, 08:13:06 PM »
This thread just got confusing all of a sudden.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
DivX?
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2003, 11:26:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja

Originally posted by: Professional 666

No, I wasn't.

Erm... I downloaded the spyware infested pro pack, and later reformatted my hard drive to clean it all off and installed the basic pack... then I hassled PGC to use DivX encoding in their game movies.  

Anyways, it's great to have you here DivXGamingGrl, as the presence of VIPs such as yourself does nothing but enhance the quality of this board.  And you can be sure that all GameCube owners are very pleased about DivX support on our system.

I'm "Pro."  I purchased the "Pro pack."  I can download ALL THE FUTURE "Pro packs" (that do not contain ad/spyware) for no additional cost (until their policies change).  End of story.  Maybe not.  Paying is not only a way of aquiring that great piece of software, it's my way of showing appreciation for the work DivX Networks (and their DivX ;-) predecessors) has done.

I'm thru with "bothering" our resident DivX VIP.  I'm busy enough capturing the trailers from the Demo Disc so I can make them available on the 'net in DivX format.

Fear a world that might be dominated by.................... Quicktime.  Or WM9.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline deminisma

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2003, 11:40:41 PM »
Thanks.

I guess we'll have to wait until Rogue Squadron III for the first GOOD game using it.

Offline DivXGamingGrl

• VIP
    • View Profile
DivX?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2003, 08:40:44 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
At the risk of actually getting this thread back on topic, how expensive is using DivX for the Gamecube? I understand 3rd parties need to make money on their games, but I'm not fond of developers taking short cuts to make more money when it's the consumer that gets the short end of the stick (read: crappy game). Although I really do have a lot more respect for 3rd parties and their plite after listening to the Seamus Blackley interview.

I'll give you a hint as to what I do at DivX - it's not technical support On a serious note, for any Pro purchases with issues, you can email prosupport@divx.com, ask for Ryan. You did not get his name here.

DivX SDK's for GCN and Xbox are not over the top expensive. It is more than Bink, the most commonly used alternative, because it is a different technology. Bink is MPEG-2, DivX is well... DivX. I realize what developers are used to paying and have created several options for them to make DivX an affordable solution, giving consumers the best video available. It all depends on their ability to advertise DivX, how many titles and how many skus they are publishing.

And yes, I am a girl.