Author Topic: Revolution vs XBOX360 vs PS3  (Read 10861 times)

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Revolution vs XBOX360 vs PS3
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 01:24:20 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
Like they did with the Sega Master System, the Intellivision, the N64, etc.

You know what I mean.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2005, 03:18:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Dirk Temporo

Like they did with the Sega Master System, the Intellivision, the N64, etc.

You know what I mean.

Yeah, I know, but I don't think those people are worth targetting anyhow.

Look at what's happening with the PSP. They're selling the hardware at a significant loss, and a lot of the earlier adopters seem to be using it as little more than a fashion accessory. The tie-in ratio is a dismal 2:1, and even that is artifically inflated because at first they only sold the thing as a bundle. That's nothing resembling a good business model.

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2005, 07:49:33 PM »
Don't know if this has been posted but I got this from the Nsider forums which was taken from the gamespot forums lol.

Quote:
IBM tells all the design requirements for each of the 3 nex gen consoles

Quote: "All of these [companies] are looking for a way to differentiate themselves from each other," said IBM's Su. "What we offered them is sort of a bag of tricks in terms of processor technology ... that they could pull from to differentiate their products."

Microsoft is emphasizing Internet connectivity with its new high-definition Xbox 360, as well as other entertainment features such as the ability to connect to home computers to play music and show movies.

Sony's new PlayStation is expected to introduce a new high-definition DVD technology, called Blu-ray, along with all sorts of ways to connect with other Sony electronics such as MP3 music players and digital cameras.

Nintendo, meanwhile, is sticking fast to the gaming business. It was looking mainly for ways to better display graphics, speed up the processing power of its GameCube successor, and make it more user-friendly, with wireless controller connections and other features.

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/auto/epaper/editions/sunday/business_24683f4d47fa40d30084.html

Quote:
I know that 14 editors already have the kits.

Activision, Atari, Capcom, EA, Hudson, Koei, Konami, Majesco, Namco, Sega, Square Enix, THQ, Ubisoft, Vu Games.

Other companies will confirm very soon.

http://www.nintendomaine.com/ndm.php?funcs=dnews:1116442391&PHPSESSID=a9540ba5efce84bd95916a2ad101c6bd

The writer doesn't include Konami but it was confirmed at the E3.

"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
RE: Revolution vs XBOX360 vs PS3
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2005, 05:12:58 AM »
that list is sex.  I also hear valve is trying to get their hands on one, if they don't have it already. that would make me verry happy.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2005, 08:25:24 AM »
They're probably looking for a way to port HL1 to it to milk even more money out of the same damn game.

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2005, 02:53:52 PM »
Here's some more info about XBox360...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html
Granted it's done my Microsoft, but it talks about a couple things
we've mentioned here.

http://www.firingsquad.com/features/xbox_360_interview/
This interview is mainly about the XBox360 VPU.  A lot of good info.
It points out that developers will basicly have 4XFSAA almost for free.

Well the plot thickens...  
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2005, 06:33:25 AM »
VPU? I thought only the PS2 had those things?
Perhaps you mean GPU?

And "free" 4xFSAA isn't spectacular, I'm sure I wouldn't notice a slowdown if I forced my GF6800 to use 4xFSAA at all times.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2005, 09:30:38 AM »
this is all pretty interesting. the reason i started this thread was because i had heard that nintendo's console would be severely underpowered when compared to the sony and my post is a train wreck consoles. i guess i should have known better since that same trash was being said 4 years ago when the gamecube launched. it would be nice if nintendo just lied a little bit to hype the revolution up.

tpfkanep: this thread isnt premature or immature. all companies have released at least some specs. its worth the debate, and since there was no other thread on this subject that i could see, i think it was legit.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2005, 11:57:58 AM »
Nintendo wouldn't even have to lie to hype the revolution up - it would just have to stop saying things like, "We're not concerned with power, we're going in another direction, we're going to use power to make it more efficient and quiet, etc." and start saying things like, "We will have just as much power as the others, don't worry.  On top of that, we'll have a smaller, quieter, more efficient system."

But it isn't saying stuff like that, so who knows?  I hope Nintendo matches the others in graphical capabilities, but I won't die if it doesn't.

Edit 1: Thanks to KDR for straightening me out earlier.  

Edit 2: I agree that being able to say you have the most powerful system does mean something to some people, and I do think Nintendo will see some losses if it's system is noticeably weaker than the other two.  That's why I'd like to see the company aim for similar power to the other two, even though I don't care too much.  If Nintendo could manage something like 80-90% of the performance of the others, I think most people would not be able to tell that it's weaker.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline MrMojoRising

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2005, 01:24:12 PM »
I also wouldn't care if the Rev wasn't quite as possible as the competition as long as it was as close as say PS2 is to X-box (the OG).  In other words PS2:X-box::RevS3 in raw power wouldn't bother me.  I'm not sure i'm making sense.

Offline MadMan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 05:40:51 PM »
It's been forever since I've posted here, but there's some new info from IGN's Revolution FAQ that should please Ian:

Q: Is Revolution "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube"?

A: USA Today reported this news based on a comment from Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan. The information was later determined to be false. We do not yet know how much more power Revolution wields over its predecessor.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 06:19:12 PM »
That's just the kind of thing that pisses me off about Perrin. You shouldn't make off-the-cuff comments like that.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2005, 06:23:34 PM »
It's odd that they report that it's false NOW.  I think that the Rev WAS 2-3 times more powerful than the GC, but then Nintendo saw the PS3 at E3 and knew that they needed to change.

Okay, that's out of the way, nobody else needs to say it.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2005, 06:26:00 PM »

Originally posted by: MadMan
It's been forever since I've posted here, but there's some new info from IGN's Revolution FAQ that should please Ian:

Q: Is Revolution "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube"?

A: USA Today reported this news based on a comment from Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan. The information was later determined to be false. We do not yet know how much more power Revolution wields over its predecessor.

Imagine that!

Imagine this!

I predict things get finalized by the end of the year for both Rev and PS3.

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2005, 07:36:49 PM »

That's just the kind of thing that pisses me off about Perrin. You shouldn't make off-the-cuff comments like that.

Perrin is in charge of PR, do you think she'll make a mistake like that?  I'm more inclined to believe that she purposely said that as apposed to her messing up and saying that.  Her job is to talk to the public, she's been doing it for years.  These people know what to say before they even say it.  IMO, I think this is all a set up on Nintendo's part.  

Besides, there is benchmark or standards in measuring system power so who knows how everyeone's calculations match up to each other.  Nintendo, MS, and Sony could all be measuring their system's power on different aspects of their systems.  Also, Sony has a reputation of exagerating and MS has one for doctoring pictures, which ultimately means neither can be trusted.  Nintendo has always been modest and in reality, when it all came down to it, developers always managed to push out way more than what Nintendo had always claimed was possible.  As for Sony's "specs" I can only see them downgrading from here.  The closer they get to release, depending on the cost of production and chips, some elements of the system might be downgraded or scrapped.  Does anyone remember the psx and all how many promised features Sony scrapped from it upon release?
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2005, 09:51:58 PM »
Perrin is in charge of PR, do you think she'll make a mistake like that? I'm more inclined to believe that she purposely said that as apposed to her messing up and saying that. Her job is to talk to the public, she's been doing it for years. These people know what to say before they even say it. IMO, I think this is all a set up on Nintendo's part.

So what your saying is Nintendo purposely made everyone think their graphics will suck so they can surprise them later when they reveal the "Revolution" by how good the graphics are as well as how small the package is.

I'd be shocked if this were true. Nintendo holds a conference (SpaceWorld) and shows the Metriod REV being played by a developer. The graphics are beautiful, the controls are perfect, and the REV is very small. Something like this could completely change the outcome of Xbox 360's launch. Not to mention how destructive the DS will already be to sales.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2005, 12:42:06 AM »
Actually 2-3 times might be a realistic assessment. I've heard that developers are expecting polygon counts of 5k-20k for the next gen, Leon in RE4 was 10k so that might have looked like 2-3 times to someone as clueless as a marketing manager that okayed those Nintendo TV spots.

Offline Galford

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2005, 05:24:57 AM »
KDR, the VPU is what ATI and Nvidia like to call their DirectX 9ish parts.  Marketing that's all.
Also, I glad to hear the 2x3 times more powerful is wrong.
Wii Code - 8679 5256 1008 2077

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2005, 09:00:34 AM »
I have never seen Ati or NVidia use the term VPU, the chips are referred to as GPUs.