Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Resurrection Update  (Read 20310 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Chrono Trigger Resurrection Update
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2004, 09:46:07 PM »
Tomb Raider died because there was little to no change between the too frequently released iterations of the series and the big game that was supposed to save it was a buggy POS (besides, there's a seventh Tomb Raider game in development). You can't tell me Final Fantasy N is just a rehash of Final Fantasy N-1.

3rdrocket: They could, but those minor projects don't mean anything to them. This one here is a major project that has proven its ability o reach a high level of quality and (unlike most fan games/mods) actually get finished. Since time spent playing CTR is time not spent playing new games CTR IS competing with SE's lineup (though one could argue that since CTR isn't a PS2 game the people who could have played it weren't SE's customers, anyway).

The late shutdown was because companies tolerate fan art to a certain degree (since telling the fans not to make fan art would just make them angry) and the less they C&D the better. Fan projects have a tendency to fall apart long before they finish anything playable so Square-Enix just assumed this one wouldn't reach completion, either. Then they saw that this team could actually pull it off and that CTR isn't going away without their intervention, so S-E sent a C&D letter.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2004, 08:09:02 AM »
I think KDR's paragraph above sums up my feelings.  It sucks that Square Enix didn't do something sooner so that the team members didn't spend so much time on the project, but I think the company is well within it's rights, and I can't blame the company for protecting itself from such an ambitious project.  I don't think this game actually posed any real threat to Square-Enix, but in a world gone sue-happy, I can't blame companies for taking steps to avoid tougher legal battles later on.  

That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Chrono Trigger Resurrection Update
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2004, 01:01:08 PM »
How would this have been released anyway?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2004, 12:43:18 AM »
For "dev kits" and PC. Read: Code injection.

Offline Magus_Forever

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2005, 06:38:28 PM »
i dont get it why would they want this to end....i mean chrono trigger was so great they should love to see someone remake it and make more people love it...  
MAGUS_FOREVER

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2005, 09:12:17 PM »
Wow, Magus_Forever dug this thread up!  Yes, everyone has the same feelings.  Unless I see some sort of Chrono Trigger 3D remake announcement at E3 this year, Square Enix is just being anal.  I mean, how many fan-made Zelda knock-offs are there floating around the internet?
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2005, 09:41:49 PM »
The Zelda ones got cease and desist notices as well. Graal and the 2D OoT are both either down or not Zelda anymore.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2005, 09:54:06 PM »
I think Mario said it best with "WTF BUMPZILLA"

Offline X-Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2006, 04:08:42 PM »
Wow, I learned about this way too late. I had heard about this a long time ago, but never saw anything like screenshots. This stuff looked amazing, and I honestly hope that S-E takes this idea and develops it fully: I've been waiting ages, and I mean AGES, for someone to take a classic game like that, or even FF3, and just re-animate the whole game into fully-3D graphics. There are so many games that could take this and do it and I think it may even work out well. But we have to remember the interface: Some games are built specifically on their Interface and we can't let that slip for pretty graphics and amazing renders.

Chrono Trigger just happened to be one of those games where the 3-D Rendering took off: An amazing game with an excelling story, great amount of replay and practically a small cult following. I think, though, that the companies of some of these games (I'm thinking along the lines of Secret of Mana and Zelda: Link to the Past) should perhapse look into the market of re-rendering their games, with similar viewpoints and control, but entering them into the realm of Full 3D.

I applaud the group who began the creation of CT:R, and I hope they look into completing the idea through communications with S-E, or perhapse approaching other companies with ideas on other games that may be worth investing in to bring to 3-D. I also look forward to any new projects they've been working on.
>>> Alas, all good things must come to an end. <<<

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2006, 04:16:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Ms.Pikmin
I think Mario said it best with "WTF BUMPZILLA"

Indeed again, I was wondering why the hell the images were down until I looked at the post date...
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2006, 05:52:05 PM »
I mean AGES, for someone to take a classic game like that, or even FF3, and just re-animate the whole game into fully-3D graphics.

Lucky for you, Square is doing exactly that for the DS..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2006, 11:56:00 PM »
I think he means FF6 because noone over there knows about FF3.

Offline Saturn2888

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2006, 10:15:38 PM »
So, what happened to the team that was making this project?

Did they start another one like they said they would?
Only insanity brings perfection.