Author Topic: Recommendations needed: XBox360 fell into my hands  (Read 2119 times)

Offline MoRZ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Recommendations needed: XBox360 fell into my hands
« on: August 19, 2015, 05:36:40 AM »
Hi guys,

I've never owned a non-Nintendo device. (SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, DSlite, Gamecube, Wii, WiiU) But now a 360 has been given to me (one Controller, Kinect, 3gb flash drive, I attached a 300gb drive to it that the WiiU did not want).

I'm really not sure what are good games for the 360 even though I have heard all the new Business on RFN over the last few years. Most shooters and the general bleak and grey aesthetics of most games do not interest me. I've downloaded a lot of demos (2,4wifi super slow).

What I've liked in the past years:
Runner 1 and Runner 2
Wii Sports
New Super Mario Brothers U
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Assassin's Creed 3
Boomblox
Prince of Persia for Wii
Super Mario Galaxy 1&2

also I put serious hours into Telltale's Walking Dead on the iPad

I'm interested in:
Fifa & PES
Forza Horizon 1&2
Indie Games
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles: Out of the Shadows

A few pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations needed: XBox360 fell into my hands
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 05:57:50 AM »
For platformers check out Super Meat Boy. There is also Mr. Splosion Man and Ms. Splosion Man games but i didn't like the demo, but maybe you will like it.

Check Assasin's Creed II or IV or Rogue if you liked III.

general bleak and grey aesthetics of most games do not interest me
ilomilo on xbox live has a very neat and colourful aesthetic.

If you like beat'em up check out: Scot Pilgrim The Game, Double Dragon Neon and Castle Crushers. Battleblock theater is also kinda similar to NSMB in it's co-op.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 08:05:02 AM »
The Portal games are worth checking out. They look like shooters, but are really puzzle games instead. Narration and story are very humorous and help the games stand out.  The first game comes in "The Orange Box" along with a couple of other FPS games... not sure if they'll be your thing, but Portal 2 stands well enough on it's own that you could just start there.

Mass Effect series also is very highly regarded, and even though part 3 came out on Wii U you would be better playing on a console that offers all of the games if you have any interest in this type of gameplay.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is worth investigating. Good co-op, still decent solo.

Beyond Good & Evil HD is a very entertaining game; not sure if you've played the original, but it's kind of a 3D Zelda-type adventure with plenty of character.

The Wolf Among Us is another TellTale series that seemed popular. If you liked Walking Dead this might be worth a go.

Indie games that I recommend would include: Spelunky, Super Meat Boy (even though I didn't like it, almost everyone else did), and Fez. Others can probably recommend more.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:10:49 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 11:02:18 AM »
Second (or third, or whatever) Super Meat Boy, this is one of the only platformers I'd rate among Nintendo's best.

I'd also recommend Shadow Complex, as it's one of the best Super Metroid clones there is.

For retail, my favorites were The Orange Box, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Bulletstorm, and Vanquish.

Honestly, there weren't a ton of games I thought were particularly exceptional the system. Like, Gears of War 2 reaches some campy heights and has a lot of variety, so I thought it was pretty good, but otherwise don't find the series interesting. Catherine is one of the more bizarre games I've played, but I don't think it was actually that good. Deadly Premonition is fascinating, but an absolute piece of **** to play.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:26:06 PM »
The Mass Effect trilogy might be my favourite games of last generation.  Though they are more or less shooters.  I found the appeal was more in the characters and story though.  It also isn't all grey and brown.

I also recommend Split/Second which is an awesome racing game that revolves around the concept of triggering disasters on the track so that your opponents (and you) have to dodge falling debris and such.  Very creative twist on the genre and just a fun game all around.

Of course I'd say that if you're a Nintendo-only guy, owning an Xbox 360 should be your chance to branch out and try the types of games that don't normally appear on Nintendo consoles.  You probably won't like all of them but it's not hard to find major Xbox 360 games that are a few years old now that are dirt cheap used.  So is there anything that you were always curious about when owning just Nintendo stuff?  Try it out.  If it's cheap you're not out much if it doesn't click with you.  I see all sorts of used 360 and PS3 games that got rave reviews when they came out that are under $10.

You list a lot of platformers as game you like.  Well Nintendo consoles have the best platformers.  You don't get an Xbox 360 to play that sort of stuff, you get it for shooters, western RPGs, fighting games, openworld games.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:16:35 PM »
Halo defiantly a must have for any xbox owner, and as Ian Sane said Mass Effect is probably of of the best games of all time (eispaccally 2!), and Minecraft is relatively ok on xbox (pc is better though).
oh yeah, Skyrim. Holy **** you need that.
Made you look ****.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:25:43 AM »
I haven't played it myself, but have heard that Viva Pinata is a good game to pick up for Xbox 360.

There's a remaster of the original Fable game that released on Xbox 360 a year ago, I think that'd be a good investment if you like those kinds of games.

I'd also Give Tomb Raider a try.