Author Topic: Motion sickness/eyestrain headaches and the GC  (Read 6259 times)

Offline xts3

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Motion sickness/eyestrain headaches and the GC
« on: August 24, 2004, 07:32:23 AM »
Is it just me or have other GC users experience motion sickness/eyestrain headaches with a few gamecube games? I've been really getting annoyed that some games have this "feature" in them but I'm not sure what the cause is and I'm sure it must be something to do with the game itself but I'm not sure what. I can play 99% of all the games out there with no problems but biggest (and only) offenders for me were Mario sunshine and Starfox adventures on the gamecube, I could not stand to watch/play them for very long without having to take breaks to prevent 'gaming sickness'.

How prevalent is this out there I wonder or is it rare with the two games I mentioned?

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
RE: Motion sickness/eyestrain headaches and the GC
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 07:45:03 AM »
I beat SFA in about three painful sittings.  None of that had to do with eyestrain or dizziness.  I have gotten headaches before when I found that the game was more entertaining than I was hungry (low blood sugar will do that to you ) or when I play with the lights off during my sexy parties.  I have never had any specific trouble with the games you mention though.
You know that you are 'suppose' to take 10-15 minute breaks...maybe you fall into the category that Nintendo wrote that for.  If you are getting sick you shouldn't push yourself for a video game.  I can tell you right now just drop SFA, it just isn't worth it .
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 07:53:47 AM »
Geez...If you get "motion sickness" from these games I *highly* recommend you don't play a game like Rez... <_<
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Motion sickness/eyestrain headaches and the GC
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 07:59:16 AM »
Well xts3 maybe you have some kind of motion sickness, Nintendo doesn't enforce the warning labels for montion sickness on all of their gamecube games for nothing (they don't want to get sued and like to enforce ALOT of safety precausions). I never had problems with the 2 games you mentioned.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 08:42:50 AM »
Maybe you're feeling sick because Super Mario Sunshine and Star Fox Adventures just suck so much!

C'mon someone was going to say it sooner or later.  I personally was kidding about Mario Sunshine.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 08:46:38 AM »
haha nice one ian sane

i think maybe its from the bright coloriness or something. i watched Star wars episode 2 and since everything was poor quality CG stuff it started to hurt to look at it. man that movie sucked. but ya.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 08:56:29 AM »
I experience the same thing for some odd reason.  It just doesn't make sense.  I play a game like Beyond Good and Evil and get sick.  Why?  I do not know.  There isn't anything fast moving, no bright colors or anything of the such...yet I still get sick.  Then I play a game like TimeSplitters 2 or F-Zero GX and don't get sick.  Heck, even Viewtiful Joe is much more action paced, and I'm like "Lah dee dah."  Another game that does this to me is Civilization III.  I'm just an odd mamma jamma like that.   Oh well, I'll eventually beat BG&E some day.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 09:01:56 AM »
Some of it may be phyclogical, or colors you are not accustom to seeing in great quanity. It can also be the FPS and your eyes have trouble with certin settings. There is a lot more than just motion sickness and seizures from flashing lights that can happen. And maybe its the TV it may not like the way the games graphics are rendered and you are sentive to that. And the "motion sickness" you feel may come from the eyestrain from such.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 11:17:57 AM »
See that's the thing, I explained this.  I'm used to the colors, I'm used to the flashing lights (example was Vietiful Joe), I'm used to FPSes (TimeSplitters, Halo, Metroid Prime) it's just for some reason it makes me sick.  It's not the camera becasue Wind Waker's is much more intuitive and moving around more.  Same with Sunshine.  I just don't know what it is, Civ 3 and BG&E are the only ones that do that to me.  It's not the RTSes that make me sick, because I play Rome: Total War, StarCraft, and countless others flawlessly...it's just BAH!!  Damn games...I'm getting to old for all these new fangled contraptions.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 12:00:37 PM »
I find that FPSs give me a headache and nausea. This sucks because I like FPS games and continue to play them, although in small doses.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 01:10:17 PM »
The only game that has made me feel sick was Halo. Those 4 dozen or so circlular rooms gave me a splitting headache.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 01:13:47 PM »
Metroid Prime makes me feel dizzy sometimes, but that's not a bad thing!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 02:02:46 PM »
Agent Under Fire made me sick.

It was just ass.  I don't like ass in that form.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 02:10:45 PM »
The only game to make me feel sick is Descent due to the "F*ck!  Which way is up?!" factor.  But that was more pychological than anything.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 02:13:02 PM »
The only game that gave me a splitting headache was sonic 3d blast because off the crap gameplay and the isometric view sucked ass.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Gremio

• Pikmin Spores of Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 06:52:24 PM »

Originally posted by: xts3
Is it just me or have other GC users experience motion sickness/eyestrain headaches with a few gamecube games? I've been really getting annoyed that some games have this "feature" in them but I'm not sure what the cause is and I'm sure it must be something to do with the game itself but I'm not sure what. I can play 99% of all the games out there with no problems but biggest (and only) offenders for me were Mario sunshine and Starfox adventures on the gamecube, I could not stand to watch/play them for very long without having to take breaks to prevent 'gaming sickness'.

How prevalent is this out there I wonder or is it rare with the two games I mentioned?
Yeah, Starfox Adventures, I-Ninja, Freaky Fliers, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy and Timesplitters 2 give me eyestrain & headaches. Can't play them for more than a few minutes without starting to feel sick. Something to do with the graphics scheme. The mansion entrance in Eternal Darkness has it too but that room can be avoided since it's only a small part of the game. At least those are the games that come to mind.  I can play anything else, rapid movement or spinning doesn't bother me and I have no problem with flashy lights or anything. I'm fine with all the other FPS I've played and no problem with Mario Sunshine.  

Offline xts3

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 12:00:10 AM »

Well xts3 maybe you have some kind of motion sickness, Nintendo doesn't enforce the warning labels for montion sickness on all of their gamecube games for nothing (they don't want to get sued and like to enforce ALOT of safety precausions). I never had problems with the 2 games you mentioned.

Yes but like I said I'm a huge hardcore gamer, I've probably been exposed to a near infinite number of flashes, colorschemes, etc.  But only those games cause a strain.  I'm guessing it has to do with the noise ratio of certain color schemes (in mario sunshine) but I'm kind of at a loss with Starfox adventures, since the graphics dont appear any different then most FPS games I have 100% no problems with.  I've played tonnes and tonnes of games for hours on end with no problem on a wide range of TV's monitors, and the like, then theres the rare game that gives me huge eyestrain on every single television or monitor.  I can even have have my consoles hooked up to my monitors and the problem itself is reproducable.  I've rarely if ever experienced this kind of feeling except with one similar feeling with one game and that was a PC game:  descent.  But that was more due to the 3D nature of and strange free movements that we don't normally perform and after playing it for a while I totally adjusted and didn't feel 'motion sickness' (since if there is ever a game that can cause it in a lot of people, it surely is Descent series of games).

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2004, 01:09:55 AM »

but I'm kind of at a loss with Starfox adventures, since the graphics dont appear any different then most FPS games I have 100% no problems with.

Here's a guess from me: SFA uses a lot of particle effects, for both grass and fur, so essentially you're constantly exposed to it. When the perspecive changes, even the slightist defect in the rendering system or TV could send your brain some really bamboozoling stuff from where the strands overlap. Try decreasing the sharpness on your TV a bit, then play it.

If that doesn't work, try playing the games in black and white for a while, at least just to see if that is the problem.

I've never had a problem with games, though I can pretty easily get motion sickness on the long car/bus trips associated with travel in the South Island.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2004, 03:43:14 AM »
The only game that ever made me physically sick was watching someone play Halo. They got into one of those flying thingies (Ghosts? I forget the proper name... but it looked kinda like a puma), flew up to the highest point in this one level, then spent about five minutes barrelling straight down, while spinning. I guess that combined with the low frame rate made me seriously dizzy, and I was dizzy almost the entire next day.