Author Topic: Verdict on New Super Mario Bros. 2?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Chad Sexington

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • UO Thief
Verdict on New Super Mario Bros. 2?
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:46:23 PM »
I've only owned a 3DS for a few weeks (since the Pikachu XL edition came out) and I haven't really been playing any games on any console for the past 5-8 years.

I'm just about done with Super Mario 3D Land, beating almost every normal level and secret level, with both characters, with yellow flags on every stage.  And I've seen some mixed reviews for New Super Mario Bros. 2.

Is New Super Mario Bros. 2 worth buying?  For someone who has never played any of the New Super Mario Bros. games?

Is the amount of content in NSMB2 comparable to Super Mario 3D Land?
12 years of Ultima Online - www.uothief.com - Twitter: @UOThief

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Verdict on New Super Mario Bros. 2?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:59:33 PM »
get fire emblem...

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:19:32 PM »
Is New Super Mario Bros. 2 worth buying?  For someone who has never played any of the New Super Mario Bros. games?
If you don't ever plan to buy Wii or U, then yes.

Is the amount of content in NSMB2 comparable to Super Mario 3D Land?
I want to say NSMB2 has more content. But it's hard to say because in tradition of all 3d Marios SML3D reuses the same levels at least twice.

NSMB games never force you to play the same levels with an added gimmick halfway through, like 3d Marios do.

Plus various DLC levels, if that's your thing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 11:22:19 PM by azeke »
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »
I really enjoyed NSMB2 when it came out. The level design is great- you will see things happening on a Mario game that's never happened before. I remember being excited about it and I even liked the dlc levels, I didn't get all of them, but the ones I have are fun. The only thing I regret about it was buying it digitally- I wish I could just swap out the game and lend it to someone. I still get a lot of street pass for it, but since having moved on and through several other games it's sort of hard to recommend it as a must have title because I did everything I could in the game. I would say that 3D Land is the superior Mario game on the 3DS.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
I was surprised how much I liked NSMB 2.  It has some solid level design and a focus on coin collecting that has never really been what I look for in prior Mario's.  But it turned out pretty fun when the screen is covered in gold and you have to run everywhere to finalize it.  There are more levels in NSMB 2, but as discussed above, it's hard to judge if it will take you longer.  I think the price point makes it a must have.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:29:31 PM »
I will give my opinion and hopefully in conjunction with other people's opinions you can make up your mind.

I thought NSMB 2 was the most by the numbers and uninspired Mario platformer I've ever played. I would recommend picking it up if you can find it cheap, but otherwise I'd say you're not missing much.
Gouge away.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:24:11 AM »
1) Super Mario 3D Land is the better Mario game in every single way. Great level design, great ideas, great game.

2) NSMB 2 isn't bad, but it is generic and they've managed to make the exploration aspects in 2D Mario tedious. I do like it better than the original NSMB for DS, but it doesn't come close for NSMB Wii for me. (I have yet to play NSMB Wii U.) However, maybe you'll be less cynical since you haven't played any of these games.

What you should do instead is pick up a Wii and play the Super Mario Galaxy games (especially if you liked 3D Land) or NSMB Wii if you need the 2D Mario itch scratched.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:56:08 AM »
I would rank the NSMB games U>2>Wii>>>>>>>>DS.

I think NSMB2 is really good, although if you're comparing it to 3D Land it's not going to hold up very well. I'm on record as calling 3D Land the best game I've ever played, while NSMB2 isn't even the best NSMB game I played last year.

Still, it's really well made, with very good level design, and I'd certainly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of 2D platformers.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »
If you haven't played any of the other New Super Mario Bros games, then 2 is a good starting point.  It has a lot more variety than the DS & Wii versions, and there is plenty of content to go through if you like 2D Mario games.

A lot of complaints about this game is that Nintendo hasn't changed much in terms of the way the recent 2D mario games look, sound, and feel.  If you haven't had experience with those games, then those will be complaints that shouldn't affect your opinion on it.

I will add though, that once I played the Wii U version, I haven't touched 2.  Not a knock against 2, but I find Mario U by far the best of the NSMB games.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »
Having actually played through a recent game for once, I'll add in my two cents. About 6 or 7 months ago, I finally bought and played through NSMB Wii. I'd played a couple levels here and there with different friends who owned it but it never really engaged me that much. However, once I started from the beginning, I started digging it actually and coming to like and respect the game. I completed the whole thing in about a week playing a bit every day that week because it was rather addicting.

Flash forward to last month and I thought I'd play NSMB2 expecting it to be a shorter playtime like NSMB Wii and cut through my backlog. While it didn't take that long to complete, (I'd say about 2 weeks playing it off and on although I'm not even close to getting a million coins), I found it a struggle to complete as it just didn't engage me or interest me as much as NSMB Wii. I think it has something to do with the hardware. The Wii had moving ground and hidden caves and yoshis and other such goodies. NSMB 2 doesn't have many of those features and plenty of beanstalks instead which was disappointing. I'd play a couple levels and almost have to force myself to keep playing at times. Some people like the coin rush aspect of the game and that will be how you get your million coins but for me, I'm not an arcade type player where the goal is to get as high a score as you can. I just don't see myself really ever going back and playing this game through again like other Mario titles such as World, Sunshine or even the original.

I have started playing Super Mario Land 3D however and that is the better order to play these games. 3D Land is so odd and different and yet strangely very right. I may end up derailing this topic talking about it but I'm just about to start the 4th world so my take on it is still early. That said, the way I'd describe this game is like an alternate history version of Super Mario 64. SM64 came along and basically set the template of how to do 3D platforming after nothing but 2D adventures and that is what we are all use to. However, after a series of 2D NSMB games, SML3D feels like a 3D version of those games but it is so different from Nintendo's other 3D Mario games. That's why I say it is like this alternate history version of what if Miyamoto wasn't around to have made the 2D - 3D jump and this is what developers may have come up with of how to make that transition. It adds such an interesting layer to this game as I play it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:15:40 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »
New Super Mario Brothers 2 is very easy, probably the easiest Mario game in existence. Most levels focus on collecting coins and finding secrets, so if you're looking for challenging platforming, you won't find it in NSMB2. The game has more unique stages than Super Mario 3D Land (almost double the stages), but if you include the Special Worlds of 3D Land then they're about equal in length. NSMB2 will take longer though if you shoot for 100%, as in all Star Coins and one million coins (or ten million minus one if you're crazy). I actually do think the coin gimmick can be enjoyable, especially Coin Rush, but overall it's a pretty weak Mario game.

Honestly, I'd recommend getting the original DS New Super Mario Brothers instead. You can play it on the 3DS, so there's nothing stopping you. Though I think the Wii game is the best of the three (not counting NSMBU since I have yet to play it), if you have a Wii.