Author Topic: How does DOA compare to Tekken and Virtua Fighter?  (Read 5865 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
How does DOA compare to Tekken and Virtua Fighter?
« on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
I've never played DOA before. How does it play compared to Virtua Fighter and Tekken?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Re: How does DOA compare to Tekken and Virtua Fighter?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:28:24 AM »
It's pretty much a shallow clone of Virtua Fighter with greater emphasis placed on tits and countering.
Seriously though, same three button controls. They've put virua fighter characters in the latest DOA and no one has even noticed.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
I suck at fighting games, and I've always felt that DOA was easier to get into.  Maybe that's just because of the boobies.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
Just get a modded XBox 1 and play DOA Beach Volleyball with all the  nude hacks. Then play Tekken.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:54:33 AM »
I liked the concept of the countering system.  I think it is a pretty fast game.  I do not find it is deeper or less deep than say Tekken...but then I usually can't stand 3D fighters so I am not the person to ask about them...or which are good.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 07:44:01 AM »
The only 3D fighter I really liked was Soul Calibur II which was a great extension of the first one (not Soul Edge). Then, SCIII was a mess and SCIV turned the series' character designs into Dead or Alive which bummed me out because Namco started appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Dead or Alive was rather shallow to me. I'm not an expert since I'm not really into fighting games. Everyone knows what Dead or Alive is known for.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:25:20 AM »
"She Kicks High"

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
Bosoms, melons, milk factories, busts, funbags, knockers, ballistics, boobies, jugs, nipples, jubblies, STONKING... GREAT... ****.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MukiDA

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 11:32:31 AM »
Woah woah woah!!! This is what I was MEANT FOR.

It's basically a lighter Virtua Fighter. Trust me, you play both side-by-side, especially going back to the first DOA, and it's eerie. Identical button layout and there's smiliarities in their "ring-out" mechanic. This isn't a funny coincidence, or copycat syndrome: Yu Suzuki helped Team Ninja build the original DOA. There's a lot of mutual love between the teams; The VF5 guest chartacters arrived in DOA5 free of charge, or at least that's what Team Ninja's current director says.

Lighter's a not particularly "fair" assessment. Virtua Fighter is a FRIGHTENINGLY deep fighter. They shot off into the expert pool ages ago, and you're gonna need to learn to swim QUICK in those waters. You know a fighting game is technical when character guides don't start with combos, but with FRAME COUNTS. And that's ignoring the fact that the effects of your moves are actually affected by the FOOT STANCE of each fighter, respectively to one another.

I'm think I'm a moderate-level fighter. I'm not even vaguely tourney-worthy, but I have all the staples downpact for any of my Tekken characters (read: Alisa 'n Lili). Tekken is just technical enough to look impressive while still having enough mash-friendliness.

DOA is a lighter fighter than either, but not for nothin', it's also the quickest at making you feel competent. If you've ever had the frustration of being beaten by someone because you're better, but still nowhere near good enough to take on a masher, and you don't feel like spending a couple hours on Tekken Zaibatsu giving your character of choice some "teeth", DOA is probably the game for you. Once you have the counter system down-pact (there's in-game tutorials tied to the storyline for this), you can wreck people pretty quickly.

TL;DR?
DOA - Light, easy faire, but figure out how to counter
Tekken - A step up in complexity, if you don't mind juggling folks by their ankles
VF - Beyond here lie dragons

One last note: I'll tell you straight-up, I'm a DOA whore. About the only fighter I value higher is Smash. It's gotten monumentally better in each itteration, though there seems to be an internal and external tug-of-war regarding the more "exploity" themes.

In DOA2, the boobs jiggled like a six pound jello brick, the amount of time you had to execute a counter could be measured in SECONDS, and a counter would eat a quarter (no joke) of your life bar. In DOA5, they jiggle's minimal, counters have split-second windows, and you're only gonna tear through a health bar if you earned it.

If you're looking to dip in, you might wanna wait for them to announce a Wii U version of 5 Ultimate (due out this fall). Barring that, look for a sale on the DS "Dimensions" game (good for getting up to date with the story, for whatever it's worth (not much)) or the PS3/Xbox 360 version of 5.

If anyone's experiencing frustration with the combat system, drop me a line here, I'll try to help.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 11:40:21 PM »
If DOA is easier to learn, then why is Tekken more popular?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 11:47:44 PM »
Hopscotch is even easier to learn. Why are other games more popular? Maybe it's because people just like some things more than other things.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
I am a pretty big fighting game fan and I never cared for DOA at all. Virtua Fighter is pretty shallow as is. Tekken is just a mindless button masher no skill at all, Soul Calubur is worse but at least it has something going for it that is unique. SC2 is a damn near perfect game but also a button masher. I think 3D fighting games are all shallow compared to traditional 2D ones though so I might be biased. Mortal Kombat had 1 terrible 3D entry and then things got better real quick. If you want a game that is similar to VF but has some challenge try Fighting Vipers that was a pretty good one, one of the few Saturn games worth owning too.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 01:08:11 AM »
I've been getting into Skullgirls and Persona 4 Arena.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:09 PM »
Tekken was big on playstation. That is why it is more popular.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post