Author Topic: Anyone have Sonic 4: Episode 2?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
Anyone have Sonic 4: Episode 2?
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:54:10 AM »
If so what do you think of it? I think it's a huge improvement over Episode 1. The physics are much more accurate (no more wall clinging or wonky running animation), the music is more Genesis-style, the level design is better (but there are still plenty of cheap deaths, like in all Sonic games).

Overall, the game is a solid retro-style Sonic game. It looks and plays very similar to the Genesis games, but it's not perfect. The special stages are also a great bit of nostalgia for those who loved Sonic 2.

My main gripe with the game is the connection problems while playing online co-op. Sometimes I can't find anyone to play with, and when I do, the game lags horribly. I've never had this problem with any of my other games on Wii, 3DS, or PS3, so it must be a server problem on SEGA's end.

It should be said that these problems only occur when playing with random people. When I played co-op with a PSN friend, the game flowed smoothly.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have Sonic 4: Episode 2?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
To be honest, the lackluster reviews of Episode I prevented me from downloading it.  I have Colors and Generations waiting in my backlog, so, it will probably be a while before I get around to this.

Overall, how do you think that Sonic 4 compares with the other recent Sonic Platforming games?
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
To be honest, the lackluster reviews of Episode I prevented me from downloading it.  I have Colors and Generations waiting in my backlog, so, it will probably be a while before I get around to this.

Overall, how do you think that Sonic 4 compares with the other recent Sonic Platforming games?

Episode 1 is a mess. The physics are awful, and the stage designs are mostly rehashes of Sonic 1 & 2 stages.

Episode 2 is much better. They fixed the physics and the stages are more creative, though there are still plenty of homages to the older games (mainly Sonic 2 and Sonic CD). The music also sounds more like the Genesis, which is a plus for a game that tries to mimic the Genesis games.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Tora

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
Played the XBox version.  It was okay.  The graphics where kind of lackluster and the sound effects where aggravating.  Other than that, I was a lot better than the first episode.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:52 PM »
I'd probably buy it if it were on 3DS (or Vita, which I plan on getting soon). I rarely play my consoles anymore.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent