Author Topic: Episode 244: Party of Five  (Read 9214 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 244: Party of Five
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
I liked Steel Diver...

It's not amazing, but it's a cool game.
Didn't you talk about Steel Diver in one of the Newscast Episodes?

No doubt! Though read my review for my more organized thoughts on it. There's something alluring about the game's setup that I like. The content feels lacking, though, and it's so slow paced.
I'm fairly sure I read it when I heard you talk about it on Newscast, which is how it normally happens.
Here's the Review if anyone is interested: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/25949
I feel it could have used some pictures.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »
choo-choo!! Lindy cracks me up.

Another fantastic episode.  Responses...

1. The single-player campaign is the primary reason I bought GoldenEye.  I was not disappointed.

2. I really dig the Pokémon movies.  They are a great way to enjoy the mythos behind the games without having to watch 600+ episodes! ^_^

3. It is really amazing to think how far the Kart franchise has come.  It has truly become one of the series I HAVE to play.

4. I'm very glad Nintendo doesn't show things until they are close to coming out.  Even waiting this long for Kid Icarus has been rough.  Other companies tease products and then spend 2-4 years saying "we're working on it! we're working on it!" - so annoying.  Yes, I know Nintendo has exceptions like Pikmin 3 and Skyward Sword.  But still, they are just that, exceptions.

5. I feel like last year a ton of games were announced for Wii/DS and then we got them.  Why would it be so crazy for that to happen again?

6. I wanna see DQX!!

7. Nintendo has to talk to the gamers at E3.  The Today Show only needs sound bytes to relay to its audience that does not watch E3.  That only takes a few seconds of stage time to accomplish.  But gamers watch E3, you gotta make 'em happy.  Last year Nintendo understood that which is why THIS was the result.

8. Lindy - I hear ya on the shrinking market of handheld games.  My experience has been that high-quality portable gaming has become a lot MORE important in my life.  Where as, I have yet to hear someone mention the "juggernaut" of phone games and cite anything besides Angry Birds.

I know millions of people might be playing millions of different games, but I'm just not sure there is a business model there.
... I guess we'll see.

9. My hopes for the Project Cafe control method are that the new touchscreen controller will be used for "traditional" gaming much like the CCPro is.  Also, I'm really hoping the 3DS can be used as a Project Cafe controller.  It would save me the price of a second controller and help justify my future 3DS purchase!

WiimotePlus handles motion control games. Done.

10. Greg, thank you for acknowledging the foolishness of wanting Sakamoto banned from future Metroid projects.  The execution of Other M was questionable, but I'm pretty sure the "father" of the franchise should be involved with it for as long as possible.   And yea, the characterization surprised (shocked/pissed off) a lot of Americans, but I believe that, in Japan, where there were mangas that introduced Samus' backstory, the Japanese were more prepared for Other M's content... and sales reflected it.

11. The panel mentioned hopes that Nintendo would "take 3D seriously" on the 3DS.  What would that involve? Doesn't it seem like, just with motion control, when done well, it's because of quality game design, but when they focus on any one technological aspect it tends to come off as a gimmick and is ignored as such. Agree? Disagree?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:43:04 PM by NinSage »

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
@ NinSage

I love reading your responses.

@ Jonny

You're so right about Metroid! I tried so hard to get into it and I simply can't; the game is not for me, but it's strange how it's always considered one of Nintendo's top 3 franchises. I guess it's like the Mother games -- the few people who play them are really, really loud about how great the games are.

Different strokes for different folks.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 09:17:44 PM »
As I've mentioned before, probably in the Super Metroid episode, that is a series that I didn't latch onto until adulthood, even though the original Metroid was probably one of the first video games I ever saw and played. Metroid II was actually the first one I owned, and I bought that to play on my Game Boy Color around early 1999. Between Prime and Fusion, I developed a new respect for the gameplay that spurred me to go back and play Super Metroid again. By the time Zero Mission came out, it had bloomed into an obsession.

So, my recommendation for all non-lovers of Metroid is to try it again some other time. You might just discover the hook.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 09:38:08 PM »
I never liked Metroid until a few years ago. My first experience was with Metroid II (in hindsight, a very poor choice), which I couldn't understand. I bought Fusion, which I played through a lot of, but mostly just playing right from the guide, and got stuck on a boss and gave up on it. I rented Metroid Prime and I hated it. I ended up preordering Metroid Prime 3 purely because I wanted to play with the pointer controls, and bought Super Metroid on the VC when it came out a week before MP3 because of its reputation. I immediately fell in love with it, and really enjoyed Corruption, and then got the Trilogy disc when it came out. Jonny's right: keep trying it from time to time. It just might eventually click with you and become one of your favorite series, like it did for me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 09:43:08 PM »
10. Greg, thank you for acknowledging the foolishness of wanting Sakamoto banned from future Metroid projects.  The execution of Other M was questionable, but I'm pretty sure the "father" of the franchise should be involved with it for as long as possible.   And yea, the characterization surprised (shocked/pissed off) a lot of Americans, but I believe that, in Japan, where there were mangas that introduced Samus' backstory, the Japanese were more prepared for Other M's content... and sales reflected it.
I would have bought the Manga or comic for backstory.  Shame that they didn't do that here.
As I've mentioned before, probably in the Super Metroid episode, that is a series that I didn't latch onto until adulthood, even though the original Metroid was probably one of the first video games I ever saw and played. Metroid II was actually the first one I owned, and I bought that to play on my Game Boy Color around early 1999. Between Prime and Fusion, I developed a new respect for the gameplay that spurred me to go back and play Super Metroid again. By the time Zero Mission came out, it had bloomed into an obsession.

So, my recommendation for all non-lovers of Metroid is to try it again some other time. You might just discover the hook.
I didn't get into Metroid till Fusion.  I'm not a fan of aimless wondering.  I really enjoyed the Prime games.  Though if they didn't have the lore entries and all the character data and like I probably would have like them a lot less.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 10:08:44 PM »
I'd say that if you played Metroid on NES or Metroid II on Game Boy and didn't like them, try one of the other titles. The first two games in the series have aged terribly and absolutely do not hold up compared to every other entry in the series.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 10:33:04 PM »
I've played games about The Western Front that were faster than Steel Diver.

And I'm not talking about Cambrai, I'm talking Verdun.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 11:02:42 PM »
I owned a GameBoy before I owned a NES so Metroid II was my first Metroid experience.  It is the black sheep of the series (or was before Other M!) but I loved it.  Still do.

Funny, when I was a kid it took me months and months and months to finally beat that game.  I played it again in college and it took me 2 hrs and 59 minutes.  Crazy.

@ happyastoria

Wow, thanks buddy.  Just callin' 'em as I sees 'em ^_^

@ Ceric

The manga were fan-translated into English and put online.  I can get you the link(s) if you'd like.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 11:26:21 PM »
I owned a GameBoy before I owned a NES so Metroid II was my first Metroid experience.  It is the black sheep of the series (or was before Other M!) but I loved it.  Still do.

Funny, when I was a kid it took me months and months and months to finally beat that game.  I played it again in college and it took me 2 hrs and 59 minutes.  Crazy.

@ happyastoria

Wow, thanks buddy.  Just callin' 'em as I sees 'em ^_^

@ Ceric

The manga were fan-translated into English and put online.  I can get you the link(s) if you'd like.

Linky Linky.  I still have my original NP's with the Metroid Comic they did.  Loved it.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 01:25:57 AM »
Linky Linky.

Here are the ones you want ...

Samus' "official" backstory,
Vol. 1: http://metroid-database.com/manga/listing.php?vid=19
Vol. 2: http://metroid-database.com/manga/listing.php?vid=13

There are several other manga but they are unofficial.

Keep in mind, if you didn't like Samus' portrayal in Other M, you won't like this much better.  However, if you have the presence of mind to not only notice when Samus is acting like a scared wuss, but also notice when she's acting like a bad-ass bounty hunter, then you'll do just fine.

I'm 100% certain there is a torrent online that contains the entire 2-volume set in one easy to read CBR file.  But, I didn't want to get in to torrent linking on the forums for fear of divine retribution. ^_^
Should you decide to pursue the internet's seedy underbelly of torrents, keep in mind that one of the chapters is mysteriously out of order.  I believe it is the first chapter of volume 2 got stuck at the end of volume 2 due to a naming error of the CBR's inner files (CBRs work just like ZIP files... probably because they are essentially ZIP files ^_^).

Enjoy!!

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
Being my birthday today, I decided to relax and actually try to play through Chrono Trigger after I got home from school today. 5 hours later, I just beat the Masamune battle. I got to the Lavos final fight in my earlier playthrough, but never was strong enough to actually beat him. So yes, I have progressed farther in Chrono Trigger in one day than Jon has in possibly a year.

Also, just ordered Mega Man Zero Collection, Retro Game Challenge, and FF: 4 Heroes of Light with a birthday gift card. Looking forward to playing those when they eventually arrive. I would have also picked up 999, but the other 3 (well, 6 really) games ruled out over this one. Maybe next time if I can find it for cheap enough.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 12:29:39 PM »
Zero Collection is very fun, FF: 4 Heroes of Light enjoys kicking you in the head (but is awesome).
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
FYI: As part of my new performance piece, "John Lindeman: To Have and To Hold Off on Playing," I finally started playing Chrono Trigger DS last night!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 11:28:17 AM »
FYI: As part of my new performance piece, "John Lindeman: To Have and To Hold Off" I finally started playing Chrono Trigger DS last night!
Thats how I would done that.  When are we going to see the Interpretted Dance Routine of Cat helmet Hate?

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 06:01:56 PM »
As of now, Giga Gaia went down hard today. Should get to the Mammon Machine fight tonight, if I have some free time.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.