Author Topic: Animales de la Muerte Cancelado  (Read 4796 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Animales de la Muerte Cancelado
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
Didn't see this posted, but a few days ago High Voltage Software announced that they are canceling the WiiWare version of Animales de la Muerte. The game will still come out on PC, Xbox Live Arcade, and PlayStation Network. They said it was a better fit for the HD systems because they can fit more enemies on screen and have more content. They also said that XBLA games tend to sell better than WiiWare games, and that also factored in. I was never looking forward to this game, but it was disappointing to see another game that had been announced as a WiiWare-exclusive end up being canceled and then released on a different system (which is what happened with Super Meat Boy).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Animales de la Muerte Cancelado
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:08 AM »
Agreed. Its bad enough when something promised as an exclusive for Nintendo hardware ends up going multiplatform, but I think this is the first time I've heard of a Nintendo exclusive ending up coming to everything but Nintendo. That's messed up...
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:25:24 AM »
A couple of days ago? This news is from Feb. 1st..... atleast that's when I heard it (I mentioned it in a Talkback thread).

(I think)The reasons given back then were WiiWare size limits and they were still looking into a retail release for the title, but was pretty sure that wasn't gonna happen.
Super Meat Boy had a very similar story about a week ago followed by the news that the developers were now also 3DS devs so maybe that's where it would land.

Maybe we get lucky and so does Animales De La Muerte. Maybe 3DS doesn't have such a small and pathetic size limit since it has 1.5GB in internal storage expandable externally up to 32GB.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:38:32 AM »
March 4 is when it was announced by High Voltage and made official. It may have been rumored before then, but it was just a rumor.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
Actually I think it was tweeted by one of the HVS guys. Maybe that's not official, but when I first heard it, it was from one of the guys working on it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
Ah, OK. Well, I guess March 4 is just when it was made official (but they obviously had made the decision several weeks earlier). It wouldn't be the first time somebody posted something on Twitter that they weren't authorized to.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:04:56 PM »
I have high hopes that they will release a version on the 3DS eShop.  Because of the larger internal storage size and the included with every console  2gig sd card (along with it being expandable to 32 gigs) I am confident that the size restriction limit that plagued WiiWare will not effect the eShop at all.  I'll even go as far as to say that I think there will be more multiplatform releases of downloadable titles across PSN/XBLA/PC/eShop.  Wouldn't make sense not too especially if HVS is developing 3DS games in the first place.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »
Agreed. Its bad enough when something promised as an exclusive for Nintendo hardware ends up going multiplatform, but I think this is the first time I've heard of a Nintendo exclusive ending up coming to everything but Nintendo. That's messed up...

Meat Boy went through that already (although it also skipped the PS3...for now), and Retro City Rampage may end up following.  WiiWare seems to be repelling some devs now.  :(

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »
RCR is not following... they're well under the file size limit.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:11:21 PM »
I think it's rather sad that not only does the Wii's glorified last-gen hardware screw it out of third party retail games but the size-restriction and lack of a hard drive causes it to lose out on downloadable games as well.  Seriously it is like everything about the Wii is restrictive in some way that would turn off other developers.

Ignoring the sales of the machine, what aspect of the Wii from a hardware perspective would entice a developer to work on it?  It is pretty much the worst in every category.  Motion control was the only ace in the pocket and that isn't a unique feature anymore.  The Wii is where Nintendo's approach of designing hardware solely for their own needs caught up with them, where even selling the most consoles doesn't attract support.  The machine itself is so unappealing and inadequate that developers will stick with systems that have like half the userbase.  That is ridiculous.

The whole thing is so self-imposed.  "Well they don't want to make WiiWare titles because the size restriction."  "So why have the restriction?"  "Well we have to because we don't have enough internal storage."  "Why don't you have enough internal storage?"  "We wanted to cut down on costs."  "Well why don't you allow the users to attach a hard drive at their own personal cost?"  "Uh, because we don't want to?"  You trace it all back and it always rests on some decision made by Nintendo either to cut corners or for, whatever insane reason, to prohibit flexibility or options.  And it is always something that any intelligent sane person can spot the potential problems of a mile away.  So Nintendo is either stupid, lazy, indifferent, cheap, malicious or insane.  There is no way they could care and know what they're doing and get these results.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
darn, i was kinda interested in this one.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
RCR is not following... they're well under the file size limit.

For now.

*Thunderbolt*

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 01:48:29 AM »
Ignoring the sales of the machine, what aspect of the Wii from a hardware perspective would entice a developer to work on it?

Well, from what I've heard its supposed to be an easier and cheaper platform to develop for. The other systems are more powerful, but also more complicated to program on. There's also demographics. The Wii has most of the casual market, so if you're making a casual game it wouldn't be logical to ignore that platform.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 03:10:04 PM »
Nintendo is also much easier to work with than Microsoft, at least from what we have heard.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
Boomshakalaka, Ian.

Thank you for summing up how this generation has played out for Nintendo from the 3rd party perspective. And that's exactly how I feel, too. I used to play solo-player core games on the Wii ALL THE FREAKING TIME, but it's been so long now since I've done that. And I've still got plenty of games to play through, too! I just can't push myself to do it, because the system itself bums me out. Even just looking at it. It's pathetic now. And I hate that that's how I feel about it. I really do.

Nintendo better turn things around next-gen. They've made bukoos of dollars on the blasted thing, so it's time to put some of those billions of bucks towards blowing away the competition with a much more powerful console -- anything to make 3rd parties open their eyes.

I'm ready, Ian's apparently ready, and all Nintendo faithful core gamers are ready. Now let's see it.  I'm hoping for a surprise come E3.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 08:35:54 PM »
Ignoring the sales of the machine, what aspect of the Wii from a hardware perspective would entice a developer to work on it?

Well, from what I've heard its supposed to be an easier and cheaper platform to develop for. The other systems are more powerful, but also more complicated to program on. There's also demographics. The Wii has most of the casual market, so if you're making a casual game it wouldn't be logical to ignore that platform.

At the same time though, those people are also the least likely to utilize digital gaming, so that aspect may ultimately be a wash.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:26 PM »
From everything I've heard, Xbox is the easier platform to deal with. However, indie devs can get on WiiWare but not on XBLA proper without a publisher.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »
I have heard indie developers say Nintendo has been helpful with WiiWare, whereas Microsoft won't even tell you how long it will take to get a game out. I haven't heard anyone praise the long approval process of XBLA.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
Devs have complained of the same problems getting games out with Nintendo.
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 11:10:37 PM »
Devs have complained of the same problems getting games out with Nintendo.

This is a Nintendo forum. We are allowed to tint out glasses Nintendo Logo Red once in a while.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »
Meh.

1. This game has been vaporware for years already.
2. High Voltage isn't exactly a quality developer, they're a shovelware house that made some attempts at high quality games but still didn't get anything better than "acceptable" done.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 02:58:05 PM »
1. This game has been vaporware for years already.

I would feel better about the whole thing if it really was vaporware, but it IS coming to other systems, so...
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 01:15:01 AM »
Just because they say so doesn't mean it isn't vaporware.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 01:33:47 AM »
Depends what you mean by vaporware. I've played it.
Aaron Kaluszka