Author Topic: How about a "Poll Forum"  (Read 2318 times)

Offline popkorn1

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
How about a "Poll Forum"
« on: May 04, 2003, 06:32:12 PM »
I think it would be great to have a forum dedicated to polls of any kind.  Most posts are locked since they end up being a poll of some kind, however lots of times the results could be interesting.  Maybe not informative, but just interesting.  So my idea (I don't know if its been mentioned before) would be to add a separate forum.  So there'd be the Gamecube forum, the GBA forum, Polls forum, etc.  All 'polls' posts could be moved there, and it would be fine to have posts such as "Do you like Metroid Prime or Zelda WW better?"

What do you guys think?

- David

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
How about a "Poll Forum"
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 07:35:18 PM »
Yeah, we could call it the "postcount++ forum". Fantastic ^____________^

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
How about a "Poll Forum"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 08:23:28 PM »
or the bandwidth += postcount forum...
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline popkorn1

• View Profile
How about a "Poll Forum"
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 08:35:28 PM »
First of all, what difference does it make about how many posts you have?  So what if someone becomes an "uber user" by posting so many times in polls.   It was merely a suggestion.   As for the bandwidth, I don't see how it would be any different than the usual users browsing/using the forums.  Maybe I have the wrong idea about how they work, but I think complaining about other users upping their post count is a little pointless.

Any real feedback about the suggestion?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
How about a "Poll Forum"
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 08:40:15 PM »
Well, the thing is that polls are not allowed on this forum as the admins feel that it doesn't promote conversation, and there would inevitably be people that can't accept the opinions of others and would cause hard feelings.

Also, a real biggie is that the same bloody polls would be repeated over and over again.  (eg, which Final Fantasy is best.  This poll drives me nuts I have seen it so many times.)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: How about a "Poll Forum"
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 08:47:18 PM »
zzzzzzz polls, yay conversation

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
RE: How about a "Poll Forum"
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2003, 09:00:03 PM »
Also, i think poll threads are generally prone to camping and shorter, less thought out replies, which inevitably turn into chat sessions. Chat sessions are for chatrooms, not message boards. PGC rules lay it out pretty well (http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=845)

First of all, what difference does it make about how many posts you have?

Many people look at post counts as milestones; personally i feel it's a very rough measure of how much they've leeched from the site. In any case, it all goes towards taking resources away from the areas PGC needs. A poll board would definitely need a moderator, which either means someone else working for free or one/some of the existing mods doing more for free. i'd rather not have a poll board, and just continue to have a top-notch source of Nintendo news for free, than to have one and have PGC's quality suffer for it.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."