Author Topic: Scribblenauts Sells A Million Copies Worldwide  (Read 2278 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Scribblenauts Sells A Million Copies Worldwide
« on: February 04, 2010, 06:52:26 AM »
5th Cell's DS platformer manages to sell over a million copies around the world.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=21120

Warner Bros. Interactive has announced that the 5th Cell developed DS title Scribblenauts has sold over a million copies worldwide since its release in September 2009. The title has received critical praise for its innovative gameplay, in which players summon different objects by writing the names of it in order to solve puzzles and complete the stages.    

"We are extremely pleased with the sales of Scribblenauts and credit the gameÂ’s innovation and wide appeal in making it a hit with gamers of all skill levels," said Martin Tremblay, president of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.    

At the time of its debut in September, Scribblenauts entered the top 20 best sellers list by selling 194,000 units, according to the NPD Group.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Scribblenauts Sells A Million Copies Worldwide
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »
Unbelievable.  Scribblenauts tops my list of most disappointing games of the decade.  I wanted to love it, but the horrible controls and objects not reacting like you think they should ruined it for me.

I hope strong sales will lead to an improved sequel.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »
I got bored of it for the same reason.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »
I assume the demographics who bought this game are mostly hardtime longcore. What about it captured such interest?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:30:58 PM »
Unique, dynamic gameplay and blind faith
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:51:35 PM »
It was a good game flawed by bad controls, weird item interactions and repetitive item useage.

like vudu said though, I look forward to a much improved sequel since the groundwork has already been laid.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:03:23 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 12:10:16 AM »
I loved it. 
It is a shame when looking around at different websites that the internet hardcorez can't get over a minor problem.  I see nothing but whining on message boards but when I see real people play the game they generally deal with the problem and keep going.  It is kind of the bizarro hardcore in videogame land where people don't overlook anything regardless of how unique or special a game is, they are far more likely to overlook a problem in a standard franchise.

It is obvious why it sold.  The main idea is so appealing.  All it takes is a person to try it or show it to a friend and they will want to buy it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:12:58 AM »
Add one to that sales count. My younger brother stole my copy for his girlfriend before I ever got to play it. I'll need to pick up a replacement sometime...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 06:12:17 AM »
Besides the terrible controls (way too easy to input something wrong) I just find the game extremely boring.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 07:42:59 AM »
I picked it back up based on this thread to give it another go. I'm only on world 1, but why is it when i put on wings and try to fly he sometimes stops flying mid-air (and then falls into the water and dies).

And then it took me half a dozen attempts to finish that same level because it wouldn't behave as expected and wou ld do deliberately odd things like not swim to avoid the shark or jump off the ledge when he has wings on and should fly, or my personal favourite:

On World 1-11, create handcuffs and then connect one to the star and the other to the door. The star falls through the door. Should that really happen?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:59:40 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 11:32:04 AM »
I picked it back up based on this thread to give it another go. I'm only on world 1, but why is it when i put on wings and try to fly he sometimes stops flying mid-air (and then falls into the water and dies).

Wings don't let you fly forever.  After 6 or 7 flaps you fall back down.  Use something like a certain flying dinosaur if you want to stay up forever.  Experiment.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »

Wings don't let you fly forever.  After 6 or 7 flaps you fall back down.  Use something like a certain flying dinosaur if you want to stay up forever.  Experiment.

I just tried a jetpack and he flew up, got stuck on the ceiling and then crashed back into the ocean.