Author Topic: Nintendo Color-Codes Mature Game Boxes in Japan  (Read 2734 times)

Offline NWR_MattB

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Color-Codes Mature Game Boxes in Japan
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:54:09 AM »
Zangeki no Reginleiv is the first game to get this special treatment.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20822

Starting next month, all games published in Japan by Nintendo that receive a rating of CERO C or above will hit retailers in a special black box designed to warn parents of the mature nature of the title.    

The first game to receive this special treatment will be Zangeki no Reginleiv, which is slated for a mid-February release.  Reginleiv is also the first Wii game in Japan to receive a retail demo that gamers in the region can rent for free.    

These special black boxes are currently only being used by Nintendo of Japan, and there's no word on whether or not Nintendo of America will apply a similar approach to their mature titles.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Color-Codes Mature Game Boxes in Japan
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »
Some retailers here put high rated games into color coded anti-theft boxes that make it hard to see the actual game inside, maybe this'll make them stop that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »
We got a pic here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30430.0

I really like the look of Reginleiv on a black case. I think there are some other games that might look good in black too.

Looks like a project for TheCoverProject.net(or is it .com?).

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 01:23:08 AM »
This is actually a good idea.  It's easier shorthand for parents than remembering a bunch of letters and it's approved for matoor gamers because they get cool looking black boxes.  It's win-win.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:58:20 AM by Deguello »
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 04:26:33 AM »
There's also a pic for Mad World in a black box, looks fitting too.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
It's easier shorthand for parents than remembering a bunch of letters
Parents seem to have no trouble remembering the letters for the ratings of movies, so why do videogames need to have something more obvious? If R-rated movies don't need to come in a different colour of case then why are videogames being held to a different standard?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 10:38:37 PM »
People don't go to the movies thinking their kids might gouge their eyes out or have to buy plastic peripherals
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 10:45:41 PM »
You are thinking here, ratings in Japan are different. Video game ratings there are A, B, C, D, and Z. It's much easier in other regions (ESRB has the age name right on the rating, like "Everyone" and "Teen"; PEGI uses the minimum age, so ratings like 3+ and 12+). Japanese movie ratings are more clear: "G", "PG-12", "R-15", "R-18".

As for R-Rated movies here in America, I won't even get into how ridiculous it is that some politicians want to make it illegal for stores to sell M rated games to children (something that thankfully every court so far has ruled to be unconstitutional) but they don't want to make it illegal to sell R rated movies to children.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 12:28:51 AM »
It's easier shorthand for parents than remembering a bunch of letters
Parents seem to have no trouble remembering the letters for the ratings of movies, so why do videogames need to have something more obvious? If R-rated movies don't need to come in a different colour of case then why are videogames being held to a different standard?

That's because they grew up with movies and are already familiar with those ratings.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 05:13:51 PM »
I don't know what the situation is in Japan, so I don't know how effective these boxes will be.  Here though the people that complain about the videogame ratings system usually come across as being incredibly stunned or just outright full of ****.  The dumb people won't notice the colour cases anyway.  And the other group is trying to stir up controversy so you could cover the cases entirely in warning stickers and make it sold behind the counter with no indication that the product is even sold in the store and they'll still run their mouth.

Deg's right in that it's an age thing.  Those who didn't grow up with videogames have no emotional attachment to them and thus don't understand them and would not care if they ceased to exist.  These same people don't want their movie experience compromised so they don't apply it to the same standard.  We'll see a change as those born after the ESRB's creation start having kids.

I'd just like different colour cases for different games period.  I always liked it when some cartridge games where a different colour.