Author Topic: Nintendo Announces Game Development in Tokyo  (Read 2669 times)

Offline NWR_Karlie

• twitter.com/JonLindemann
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
Nintendo Announces Game Development in Tokyo
« on: April 17, 2003, 04:31:44 AM »
A new research and development facility for Nintendo games will be opening in Tokyo.

NINTENDO ANNOUNCEMENT

17 April 2003

Bolstering its commitment to create diverse and innovative video game content for its hardware systems, Nintendo yesterday announced it is expanding internal development resources by establishing a new research and development facility in Tokyo.  The new Tokyo facility will develop unique games for Nintendo’s hardware platforms, adding to the depth and breath of Nintendo’s first-party game library.  Additional details about the facility, including when it will open, will be announced in the coming months.  

Offline rpglover

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 05:32:03 AM »
hopefully this means more new games that come out faster
personally i think this will be a division that does not work on the major titles (mario, metroid, zelda)
but maybe existing other titles that nintendo had in the past and make new games out of them
maybe games like kid icarus, ice climbers, donkey kong, pilotwings
we will see soon i guess- probably around e3
i call the big one bitey.

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 05:57:18 AM »
The game development facility in Tokyo will be developing more games for Nintendo's first party line of software, hmmm perhaps a few first party titles targed toward an older audience are in the works? This is news to get excited about and it shows that Nintendo is willing to do what it takes to make a return to greatness. I am sure we will hear more details about this at E3 in may. Happy hunting.

The Doc

Offline Illini4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 06:25:22 AM »
Wait wait wait!  Nintendo is creating a seperate branch to handle "unique" games?  I think all Nintendo games are "unique."  What do you call Animal Crossing, Doshin the Giant, Pikmin?  I wonder if this means the current line up will try to steer more main-stream, and the "unique" games can be handled by others?  I am excited about this, it is just another reminder that Nintendo is concerned about me, the gamer.  Sony's craziest idea was to copy Zelda (Dark Cloud anyone?).  This comes out before E3, and we all know E3 always holds a few suprises, which makes me very excited about what Nintendo is holding back.  RPGlover brings up a good thought about Kid Icarus.  I thought I had heard there was a secret development of Kid Icarus underway.  That would make me cry, I feel 7 again.  I would love a Kid Icarus game.  Ok, I can't type anymore, i am getting too emotional.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2003, 11:11:50 AM »
well the demand for games ahs gone up...gamers are now streamlined...if you understand what i mean.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2003, 11:59:47 AM »
Nintendo basically needs to fill some genre gaps, namely RPGs, racing games and some edgier content for the adults.  Once they have that they're golden.  Hopefully this development house addresses some of these needs.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2003, 09:35:32 PM »
I don't particularly see the need...Nintendo doesn't release as many games per year than, say, Electronic Arts (even though Nintendo gets more profit than any other game company), and they already have 6 studios to make whatever games they are designing. Isn't Retro Studios, Intelligent Systems, HAL Labs, EAD, Silicon Knights, and NST enough? Not to mention third party partners like Sega and Namco as well as several companies pretty much devoted to Nintendo such as Factor 5, Sonic Team, Camelot, NDCube, and Zoonami.

And EAD alone is the largest development house in the world with about 1000 employees and some very expensive and advanced equipment...not to mention veteren geniuses like Miyamoto...

So it's not as if there is a lack of people to make games.

Of course, there are plenty of other possiblities to consider. Could this be sort of Japan's NST, where Nintendo could gather upstart designers and show them the way...or possibly they are splitting EAD and moving some of its people here?...None of the other first parties are big enough to split. HAL and Silicon Knights both emply 70 to 80 people, but I'm not sure about IntSys, NST, or Retro...

Offline )Dark-LInk(

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 06:28:58 PM »
I hope this is a new TEAM that wil focuz on making new "MATURE"(im not saying nintendo games r kiddy but u get the point) games, and creates a new franchise that wil take over resident evil's place.....(since it wil be made by nintendo you know it wil be good.)