Author Topic: SPECIAL: NWR Awards 2008  (Read 19999 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: SPECIAL: NWR Awards 2008
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2009, 12:31:06 AM »
But yeah....I still gotta go with Brawl.
You and the entire world.
That's okay though, it kind of makes me feel special that I'm the only one who doesn't like SSBBrawl.  ;D Maybe that could be my claim to fame... "Hey look everyone, it's that moron who hates SSBBrawl! What's the deal with that? Let's bake that person a cake for being so unique!"

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2009, 01:05:29 AM »
Hey Mop, just be thankful they didn't give the honor to Guitar Hero or Rock Band 2 ;) .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2009, 05:27:49 AM »
That's okay though, it kind of makes me feel special that I'm the only one who doesn't like SSBBrawl.  ;D Maybe that could be my claim to fame... "Hey look everyone, it's that moron who hates SSBBrawl! What's the deal with that? Let's bake that person a cake for being so unique!"

But the cake is a lie...  ;)
I'm with you more though. I'm not as ga-ga for Brawl as everyone else is as well. Though it may be because I was away from most of my friends who would have played it with me. Solo brawl just isn't quite as fun and with online unplayable for me (not my connection either) I was sunk. Though it got better once I returned from school but it still wasn't quite there.

I was sad that Okami didn't win anything since I loved that game so much.

Though I feel a lot of it was spot on. I also feel 2k8 was a great year for Wii. Then again, I don't live on an exclusive diet of Nintendo developed games and am not afraid to check out 3rd party games. The fact I have only bought two 1st/2nd party endeavors and around fifteen 3rd party ones proves thus.

I doubt Hudson would make ALL of the mini games compatible with motion plus, in the same way that not every game in MP 7 needed the microphone and not every game in Rayman TV Party uses the balance board (and those that do can be played with the wiimote).
In that case, I hope any minigames which use the Wii Motion Plus have it as optional, otherwise its potential for sales will be hindered.

They just need to have the Motion Plus be a pack-in with Mario Party.
Wii Sports Resort, Mario Party Motion!, Zelda Wii and Wii -Motion Plus- Play with Motio Plus packed in would help distribute the little booger into a lot of homes and lessen the market split they are making.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:40:39 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2009, 06:53:20 AM »
I'll say this, aside from Best Local Multi and Best Sound, Brawl got no other votes from me. I much prefer Melee to Brawl.

I wish Okami won more awards as well, same with de Blob and Space Invaders Extreme.

I'd say my 5 favorite games of the year across all platforms were World of Goo, Okami, de Blob, Space Invaders Extreme, and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2009, 07:41:14 AM »

You're Yahtzee?

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »
I haven't played Brawl since June.  Is that a sin?
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »
I kept on wanting to vote for something other than Brawl, but no game was better than it for me. I love De Blob, Wario Land, Mario Kart, etc. but Brawl was the best game imo last year, laggy online aside.

Since Nick mentioned it, my 360 game of the year was Banjo-Kazooie: N&B/Left 4 Dead
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2009, 01:15:24 PM »
There should also be an Editor's Top 5 list at the end of the feature, to hint at a handful of games the editors enjoyed outside of the singled-out "No. 1s" and "runner-ups."  It helps round out the experience of the year.

and it will reveal WEAKNESS, uncovering the products you neglected and showing how short your imaginations reach when it comes to seeking new gaming experiences beyond of BIG NAME PRESS RELEASE FIRST PARTY HYPED titles
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »
There should also be an Editor's Top 5 list at the end of the feature, to hint at a handful of games the editors enjoyed outside of the singled-out "No. 1s" and "runner-ups."  It helps round out the experience of the year.

and it will reveal WEAKNESS, uncovering the products you neglected and showing how short your imaginations reach when it comes to seeking new gaming experiences beyond of BIG NAME PRESS RELEASE FIRST PARTY HYPED titles

I spell some blogs cookin for this
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
Hey Mop, just be thankful they didn't give the honor to Guitar Hero or Rock Band 2 ;) .
Honestly, I would have preferred that over SSBBrawl; at least that would have been a more unique choice.

They just need to have the Motion Plus be a pack-in with Mario Party.
Wii Sports Resort, Mario Party Motion!, Zelda Wii and Wii -Motion Plus- Play with Motio Plus packed in would help distribute the little booger into a lot of homes and lessen the market split they are making.
There's still a problem there: those games don't all appeal to the same people. Of those, I'd want Zelda and Mario Party 9, so I'd still be two Wii-Motion Plus devices short of four-player bliss. I still don't see the harm in having the Wii-Motion Plus being optional for Mario Party. Mario Party 7 allowed you to play its microphone games without that accessory. Sure, the games weren't very functional and the novelty of them was missing, but the option was there for those who didn't want to spring for the microphone. Mario Party 9 could easily do the same. Such an option should be left up to the consumer, not game companies.

You're Yahtzee?
Someone else does exist!

...Wait, isn't Yahtzee a parody reviewer who slams popular games just to stir people up? If I were to create a video review (don't think I haven't considered it), my loathing of the game would be sincere. And then my YouTube channel would be assaulted by blind fanbois telling me how much I suck using improper spelling and grammar.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »
A lot of the games you all have mentioned were actually nominated in multiple categories but just didn't win anything.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »

You're Yahtzee?
Someone else does exist!

...Wait, isn't Yahtzee a parody reviewer who slams popular games just to stir people up? If I were to create a video review (don't think I haven't considered it), my loathing of the game would be sincere. And then my YouTube channel would be assaulted by blind fanbois telling me how much I suck using improper spelling and grammar.

Yahtzee considers himself a serious reviewer. He actually mocks those who say he is a parody reviewer. He's just more bold and boisterous about his opinions than some others.
Some people are just uncomfortable with big name 'awesome' games -that they and the 'majority' love- being torn into so harshly. Therefore they make assertions akin to him 'not being serious' and 'just being a parody reviewer'.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »
Yahtzee considers himself a serious reviewer. He actually mocks those who say he is a parody reviewer. He's just more bold and boisterous about his opinions than some others.
I consider myself to be a nice person but that doesn't make it true. :-\

I think it has more to do with the way he presents his reviews as to why he wouldn't be taken seriously. Just look at that video, it's a little cartoon with a bunch of random skits that don't really relate to the game, and the voice over talks too fast. Of course, if he didn't insert such randomness, nobody would watch his reviews as then all he'd be doing is tearing apart the games he reviews. Nobody wants to see someone hate on their favourite games. By that same token, nobody wants to see somebody praise games they despise. It can sometimes be a difficult thing to deal with.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2009, 07:54:05 PM »
I consider myself to be a nice person but that doesn't make it true. :-\

I think it has more to do with the way he presents his reviews as to why he wouldn't be taken seriously. Just look at that video, it's a little cartoon with a bunch of random skits that don't really relate to the game, and the voice over talks too fast. Of course, if he didn't insert such randomness, nobody would watch his reviews as then all he'd be doing is tearing apart the games he reviews. Nobody wants to see someone hate on their favourite games. By that same token, nobody wants to see somebody praise games they despise. It can sometimes be a difficult thing to deal with.

The format and tone of his reviews are different, but he uses it to bring up very real and valid points or flaws about games.
I actually like to see him throw games I enjoy into the flames. Maybe I just and an infatuation with seeing opposing views to mine.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »
A lot of the games you all have mentioned were actually nominated in multiple categories but just didn't win anything.
You want to list those that got nominated.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2009, 09:21:41 PM »
You want to list those that got nominated.

That would be neat to include an honorable mentions section which mentions all of the nominees.
I wouldn't mind even getting to see what all of the actual votes were for each game.
My Game Collection

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »
....That's why we mentioned runner-ups....
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2009, 09:58:10 PM »
....That's why we mentioned runner-ups....

But were they all of the runner ups or just the top contenders?
I'm curious to each games actual performance.
My Game Collection

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2009, 03:21:22 AM »
Wow. I'm amazed at the Final Fantasy IV love. I didn't think it was that big a deal and it basically owned the DS catagories. What about The World Ends With You? I didn't see a peep on that game. Not that it's a big deal. It's an interesting game to be sure but I wasn't blown away with it like some people seem to have been.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2009, 04:27:49 AM »
Wow. I'm amazed at the Final Fantasy IV love. I didn't think it was that big a deal and it basically owned the DS catagories. What about The World Ends With You? I didn't see a peep on that game. Not that it's a big deal. It's an interesting game to be sure but I wasn't blown away with it like some people seem to have been.

Yeah, TWEWY might have slipped under the radar. I voted for that over Chrono Trigger on the IGN Best of DS polls. I heart TWEWY a lot.
My Game Collection

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2009, 10:20:09 AM »
TWEWY was GOTY for 2008.  There-- I said it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »
There's certainly a lot that we can do category-wise.  The most prevalent undercurrent in everybody's suggestions is that people want a more personal touch to the awards, which has been lacking the last couple of years.  I think that's more of a process/execution issue than a staff "desire" issue, and we'll work on ironing that out in 2009.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog