Author Topic: The Ultimate Good Games List!  (Read 17149 times)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Ultimate Good Games List!
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2003, 11:15:35 PM »
Game: Tie Fighter
System: PC
Year: 1994 (i think)

who could forget this game?  a space simulation in which you got to fly for the Empire (who could resist that?) and got to blast down these Rebel scums!   it also had a good storyline about a traitor within the Empire.  nothing beats having Darth Vadar as your wingman.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2003, 07:53:34 PM »
Game: Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
System: PC

First off, I must admit - I have not finished this game.  That is because, apparently, it is very long.  However, I have played it more than enough to tell you that, indeed, it is an awesome game.  Those of you who have never played computer-styled RPG's are in for a surprise - this game is much less linear (in parts) and gives you much more options than a normal Final Fantasy-style console RPG.  If you want, you can attack ANY person, including cats, cows and damsels in distress (although it's not recommended.)  The game uses Dungeons and Dragons rules, and the game can be quite confusing until you get used to it.  Once you do, however, you're in for a great time.  The battle system is excellent - there are countless different strategies and possibilities for each battle.  For example, one time I defeated an enemy by luring it onto lava while my characters had fire resistance spells.  Other times, I put my fighters in the doorway and blocked the monster while my other characters all used long-range weapons.  This freedom comes from an ingenious device combining the realism of real-time games and the strategy of turn-based - you can pause, at any time, and give orders while it is paused.  Thus, you can have every character be doing something immedietly, and do several completely different actions simultaneously as you click on each character and tell them what to do, then unpausing.  

As mentioned above, the game is non-linear at times.  Although the game has many, many optional quests (many of which are fun and rewarding).  However, there is a large emphasis put on the main quests than in games like Morrowind.  It works on a chapter-by-chapter basis - there maybe many things to do in a chapter, but often you can't go back to where you were once you've moved up.  The game's story is compelling, but I think I personally would've wished for more freedom.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2003, 10:30:14 AM »
hm... so many choices...

Fave games already taken (metroid prime, Yoshi's Island)

Gamecube: Skies of Arcadia Legends

Having never played the original Skies of arcadia, this game came as a complete surprise to me.  With the best world map I've ever seen from any game, And even though the story was Cliche, it gripped me till the end.  This is probably the only RPG that I've ever played where i played more just to SEE what was happening next.  All the way through the end it was an amazing game, and a rather long one at that.  Heres hoping for a Skies of arcadia 2.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2003, 12:25:46 PM »
game: vagrant story
developer: square
system: psx
year: 2000 (i think)

if any of you have played this game then you know how good it is
it has a great story line- awesome graphics (for psx) and of course good gameplay
there is so much customization to the battle system i could go on and on about it
not only that but after you beat it once you want to go back and do it again not only for fun but to see the other 40 % of the game (rooms and stuff are added and doors unlocked!!)
its one of my favorite rpgs of all time along with the underrated and practically unknown valkyrie profile on the psx
i call the big one bitey.

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2003, 09:55:05 PM »
Game: Rayman 2
System: Too many

Rayman 2 is a platformer.  However, it was very unique.  It's hard to pin down exactly what makes this game so fun, but it's very smooth.  Everything flows together, everything seems utterly seamless and natural.  The game is linear, with an overworld map in the style of so many old-school platformers, letting you choose your stage.  It isn't Crash Bandicoot - you control the camera, and there are many puzzles and paths to choose from.  However, your goal is simply to get to the end, which is a refreshing break from games requiring you to collect hundreds of something or other.  That's not to say the game is simple or repetetive - this game shows the many different ways a limbless hero can get to the finish line (yes, he is limbless).  Riding on a rocket with legs, sliding down a hill being chased by a monster, following a whale, jumping over crumbling walkways while being shot at by cannons, floating into the air on rising whirlwinds are all part of the game.  The graphics are smooth and artistic - amazingly enough, they still managed to impress me when I played it just days ago!  Not because of the technology, but because of the art and the amazing style.