Author Topic: Amusing "Eternity's Child" interview  (Read 2667 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Amusing "Eternity's Child" interview
« on: June 08, 2008, 06:08:01 PM »
Eternity's Child is an upcoming WiiWare game made by a Finnish developer named Luc Bernard, He (or she?) recently gave an interview to NintendoFIN, and its quite an amusing read, simply because the guy has a lot of issues and apparent hatred of his own product. You can read it here

My favorite parts:
Do you feel that Eternity's Child is aimed more at serious gamers (hardcore gamers, if you wish) or is it also a good choice for so-called casual gamers?

I don't care about casual gamers.

You certainly speak your mind about things that bother you. I respect that, and it's common in Finland, but what kind of reactions has it caused in the gaming business or with media?

I honestly don't give a ****, why should I care? I mean for example not many game companies or any really would take me, they all have ignored me in the past, LOL.

So let's put it this way, I don't care about what people think about me. What's important is what people think about the game.

Angry developer is angry!

But what concerns me is the hatred and lack of faith he has towards his own product. I definitely understand that as an artist you are never satisfied with your work. You always think you can do better and resent any decisions you made during the creation of your work. But you shouldn't disrespect it either simply because it doesn't meet your own personal standards. Just be happy it came to life and found an audience.

And suggesting Steam over WiiWare? Its OK if you prefer one medium over the other, but he really can't talk as he might find more success on Wii than on Steam.

But other than that, its definitely a fun read if only for the apparent angst.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing "Eternity's Child" interview
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:05:03 PM »
That seemed to be a perfectly reasonable interview to me. Maybe some people just need the sugar coated marketing doublespeak to be happy? :P

It doesn't exactly sound as though he has a lack of faith toward his game. He seems more so that the game just didn't take the direction that he had initially envisioned due to his publishers' lack of willingness. I don't know how this guy sees himself, but I can tell you that from an artist's standpoint, making a product "sellable" or being confined by suits is a drag.

As for Steam, it is more flexible from a variety of standpoints. I love my Wii, and personally dislike Steam, but it is a better choice in manner regards. What the Wii has going for it is an interesting control scheme.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »
That seemed to be a perfectly reasonable interview to me. Maybe some people just need the sugar coated marketing doublespeak to be happy? :P

I'm not offended by the attitude at all. Its the reason I find the interview so amusing, especially since its different from the other interviews I have read.

But I did find his lack of faith concerning, especially since he needs to show faith so that people can give it a chance.

As for the publisher, does the game even have one? From the sounds of the interview, it looks like this is being made by a small number of people, and they must have some type of control over their product if it went far with the quirky and artistic design.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 07:49:52 PM »
He doesn't lack faith in his game at all.  He says it's worth the pricetag, he just wishes he had the funds to take it further.
GOREGASM!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »
He doesn't lack faith in his game at all.  He says it's worth the pricetag, he just wishes he had the funds to take it further.

This is just my opinion and its his right to feel what he wants and all, but he should be happy that the game has gotten very far despite its limitations rather than to say he's not happy with it and say that it could be better if he had money.

The reality of the situation is that even if he was given the freedom, the funds and the team to create the game he wishes to make he would likely be disappointed with it. NOTHING ever comes out as envisioned, and as George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have taught us, just because you can make something "better" it doesn't mean it is.

Besides, that's what sequels and projects are for; to implement ideas that couldn't be used the first time around.

And frankly, I find his restrictions sketchy. Indie gaming has been known for pushing ideas that no publisher would ever dare release, and if the premise behind Steam and WiiWare are to be believe, this is the perfect playground for small developers to push their work without any major restrictions.

Money, limited resources, small development teams and time constraints are understandable issues, but those can be solved with creative management.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
Is Eternity's Child that RPG with the 8-bit graphics where you play as a girl defeating robots or something?  If so, I've already played it.  It was decent, but nothing to write home about.
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 12:30:04 PM »
For some reason, the interview was taken down as requested by Luc Bernard himself.

I find it weird, though. I mean, one minute he is all "I don't give a **** what people think about me", the next he asks the site to delete the interview. Was the public reaction so negative that he realized it would harm him and the game in the long run?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:16:01 PM »
That's lame.  I loved his candor.

Matt, the game hasn't been released, and it has fancy hand-drawn graphics, not 8-bit.
GOREGASM!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 02:43:49 AM »
I think you might be thinking of Eternal Daughter.

Offline matt oz

• APPLES!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »
I think you might be thinking of Eternal Daughter.

Ah, thank you.  That's it.  They have very similar titles, don't they?
Wii Code:  7894 - 4898 - 7716 - 3649