Author Topic: DJ Hero  (Read 3036 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
DJ Hero
« on: October 10, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Has anyone played this yet? I played it at Best Buy a few days ago, I thought it was terrible. Ok, maybe not terrible, but it's nowhere near as fun as Guitar Hero/Rock Band, or even Battle of the Bands. Keep in mind I only played one song - a mash-up of Heard it Through the Grapevine and Feel Good, Inc., but still I wasn't having any fun.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: DJ Hero
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 02:29:10 AM »
Even if it were great, the setlist would still make it terrible.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
Even if it were great, the setlist would still make it terrible.

To you. It's pointless to argue about the set-list because music taste vary from person to person. I'm someone who plays guitar/bass/drums and prefer more of the rock/alternative stuff than dance/pop/hip-hop, but i do enjoy some of it. Admittedly, when I saw the DJ Hero trailer (on the GH5 game disc.. that whole game is one big commercial for the rest of their products, its not even funny) I thought "well it certainly makes it look more fun than what i imagine it being.." and was tempted to try it out. However i really don't think i could get in to dj'ing on a peice of plastic, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a nice mash-up between two artists/songs I like. Hell, sometimes a mash-up can make a shitty song better simply by it being joined into a much better song.

So yeah, with all things music: to each his own.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »
Mash-ups are at best amusing. Nothing good comes from them however, as DJs are simply not musicians. If they had any inclination of musical talent, these people would be writing their own songs and playing their own instruments, not stealing (Oh, I'm sorry... Sampling!) everyone else's riffs to scribble notes over top of.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »
Mash-ups are at best amusing. Nothing good comes from them however, as DJs are simply not musicians. If they had any inclination of musical talent, these people would be writing their own songs and playing their own instruments, not stealing (Oh, I'm sorry... Sampling!) everyone else's riffs to scribble notes over top of.

Who was arguing this point?
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline rbtr

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »

lolwut?

That's crazy talk....like seriously.  Some DJs play their own instruments and then get them pressed onto a vinyl, or chop up songs rearrange the notes and patterns into new patterns creating a new beat and get that pressed.  A person with no musical talent would not do a good job and cutting and splicing together new stuff from old songs.

It also takes musical talent to blend songs together, as you have to first pick songs that are in the same key, and have similar rhythymic structures.  And then there is the performance aspect, the dj must be proficient with his tools, have a plan layed out as to how to mix the songs, and be able to do all the mixing in real time, and in time with the music.  Doing this requires a strong sense of rhythm, and of timing.

A guy at a party who puts the record on isn't a musician, but a "turntabilist" is.  Despite that he is creating new music from old music does not mean he is not a musician.  Musicians create music, if you use somebody else's performance in a new way, in a way that makes it sound like something completly original, then you are making music, and are therefore a musician.

And a lot of DJ's use synths, you know, a keyboard?  Yea, they have those things in their rigs too and play them.

Also, I'm not gonna do the the internet thing and argue this into mud, because I know I'm right :)

ANYWAYS, the demo was a ton of fun.  It racked different parts of my brain than guitar hero.  And the mixes were AWESOME!  The set list looks great, lots of surprising looking mixes.  I just wish the game didn't cost so much, the peripheral cannot cost that much to make.  More than likely the music business is getting a little more greedy with its licences....

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 03:16:58 PM »
*continues waiting*

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 03:59:52 PM »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 04:07:47 PM »
They should make the next DJ Hero compatible with DDR Dancepads, that way someone can play a stripper while the other person mixes their club music! That would really go a ways to separating this game from Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »
Then they could sell another peripheral, a stripper pole for the living room.
all of a sudden husbands are trying to play with their wives, guys with their girls, and in middle America, brothers with their sisters.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »
They should make the next DJ Hero compatible with DDR Dancepads, that way someone can play a stripper while the other person mixes their club music! That would really go a ways to separating this game from Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

Until they release an 80s edition where blondes with flat asses are dancing to white snake in the most unsexy way possible

;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 01:21:20 AM »
Then they could sell another peripheral, a stripper pole for the living room.
all of a sudden husbands are trying to play with their wives, guys with their girls, and in middle America, brothers with their sisters.

It could also be the start of a new sexercise craze in America