Author Topic: Far Cry is out  (Read 7001 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Far Cry is out
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2006, 06:56:22 PM »
The draw distance holds up for the big environments, but I have noticed the occasional pop-up. That said, this definitely is a bad graphical port. And yes, the textures are flat. It really does look like a... high-end xbox game which has its graphical priorities askewed and some serious overlooks and no art direction to hide its flaws.

As for the enemy A.I., nothing special to say. They're probably an uber simple distance formula to "see" you if they're facing your direction. But they're not particularly smart and they won't one-shot you or anything really, so the A.I. is stupid, but not in a "hard" sort of way. In terms of A.I., Far Cry is just a mediocre game.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Magik

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Far Cry is out
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 01:33:46 AM »
Wth?

Far Cry is not even close to any high-end Xbox game.  Compare Far Cry Vengence on the Wii to Far Cry Instincts on the Xbox and you can clearly see the Xbox game is far superior to the Wii version.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 02:44:27 AM »
That's why I said with skewed graphical priorities and really bad art direction. Graphically, It's like a high-end xbox game that was done really, really poorly due to incompetence, lol.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 08:18:29 AM »
Just got FC through Gamefly today.

Impressions soon...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 05:29:00 AM »
Ok, the first few hours of this game are boring as hell. Then, much like Red Steel, you receive some new abilities which makes the game a great deal more enjoyable.

But if you're a FPS fan, you should rent this game for one reason: the melee attack.

If you get close enough to an enemy and then make a quick stroke with the Wiimote, you automatically rush up to them and kill them. IMMENSELY satisfying, although I recommend holding A to lock your camera as you do so because you'll otherwise find yourself moving the camera while trying to slash.

By doing melee attacks and headshots, it builds up your predator gauge which can be turned into health, making the character into a vampire of sorts.

The graphics are a sub-par porting job and it shows, but it does have a few very satisfying gameplay elements which FPS fans will enjoy.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 07:32:49 AM »
I am Kairon! DEFENDER of Far CRY!

Eurogamer review of FarCry!

Here we have a game that features utterly dreadful graphics, consistently stupid AI and multiplayer that'll be singing in the boy's soprano choir long after puberty.

That sounds overwhelmingly negative, and don't get me wrong for a single second - it is. However, there's one shining good point to be dropped into the whole affair, for which many ills are going to be forgiven over the course of this review. Far Cry: Vengeance, for all its many, many faults, is the first Wii game to get first-person shooter controls absolutely, totally right.

AH HA!

In other words, what Red Steel and (arguably) Call of Duty 3 failed to do, Far Cry has managed.

Whu-PAH!

In deciding on a final mark for Far Cry, it would be easy to weigh up all the things which the game gets wrong and decide that they balance out harshly. However, it's impossible to escape the fact that playing the game was actually quite compelling, in a sense; at no point was it an unpleasant game to play, it's merely completely retrograde in several key areas and lacking any sense of presentation or style. It's an ugly game, but one which, crucially, works as a game at its most basic level

Far Cry haters, back! BACK I SAY!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline utarefsoN

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
Id recommend COD 3 over Far Cry if you can only afford one at the moment.  

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 02:21:43 AM »
I rented farcry last night and am about 2h in. I am SHOCKED at how good it is! I mean it's not the greatest game in the world and the graphics look like a 1st generation PS2 game but it's surprisingly fun. I'm glad I read all the bad reviews because I didn't have high expectations.  I find the controls better then Call of Duty and the graphics really aren't that bad at all (except for the N64 compressed cut scenes)  Throwing grenades is actually fun. I'm not a big fan of having to flick the nunchuk up to jump but other then that the controls are really good. I'd give it a 7.5/10
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007, 02:45:50 PM »
It's funny to me that everyone is crying about the graphics...

I can understand the gripes about stupid AI, but I mean the question I have (and has been answered thanks to Kairon, and SB) is, is the game fun?
I'll probably rent this as it seems to be short without much replay value.

Oh and here's the important thing, the FPS controls are good! Even if this game is craptastic good controls are vital the Wii's success, now if anyone had any doubts about whether or not FPS controls could be done right the Wii, this game answers them, it also bodes well for Red Steel 2.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.