Author Topic: 3rd party USB ethernet adapters  (Read 4903 times)

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
3rd party USB ethernet adapters
« on: November 21, 2006, 08:52:30 AM »
Anybody get one of these to work? I have a linksys one that doesn't work at all. Good thing one of my neighbours has an unprotected wi-fi network I can leech off of until I get my wired connection working
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:3rd party USB ethernet adapters
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 08:58:19 AM »
Did you click the WIRED CONNECTION option? It should work because all USB to ethernet adapters are universal.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline DonSeer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:02:12 AM »
sorry but thats completely and utterly wrong. (i signed up to post this)

the only usb to lan (aka wired) option is nintendo's which comes out in january.. i'm pissed off i've gotta wait so long.. (i'm also luckly my sister has a wi-fi network on her net connection)

you can verify this on the official nintendo forum.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:04:57 AM »
Yes I know Nintendo's USB ethernet is comming out in january but any USB ethernet connection should be universal since 802.xx protocols are universal.

Edit: the only way any USB ethernet connectors don't work is if the wii doesn't recognize the device but since it looks like that it is a industry standard device it should work flawlessly if its Nintendo branded or not.  

Offline DonSeer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 09:08:47 AM »
hmm this depends from what angle we're coming..

if this is from him wanting to set up a USB to wireless thing on his pc.. and using that connection via the wii.. yeah of course it'll work.. and is a config issue on his end.. not a "wii" problem really.. i guess somewhere like adslguide would help with set up issues..

but if he's talking USB  -> RJ45 (i.e. wired) it wont work with any other adapter till nintendo's comes out full stop.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 09:11:06 AM »
I hooked up the USB adapter to the port on the back and tried going through the "wired" connection setup. It wouldn't recognize the connection. I tried different network cables and both USB ports and still nuthin.  I was going to buy the Nintendo wireless adapter that plugs into the PC's USB port but then I would have to leave my PC on all the time and that would be wiitarded...
My Wii Code:

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »
Don this topic talks about ETHERNET or known as a standard IEEE 802.3 wired connection to the internet. I know that there is a Nintendo branded wireless dongle that you plug in a PC to connect your DS/Wii online but he is talking about a wired connection.

Edit: Oh so thats the case that the Wii only picks up a Nintendo branded USB ethernet connector then I suppose that only that will work. Maybe someone should put it under a Wii system FAQs when setting up the Wii up for Wiiconnect24 and all of those goodies.

Offline DonSeer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 09:12:41 AM »
uhh you said 802.1x just now.. make your mind up!

ryancoke please be clear what devices you are pluggin into which hardware as both PC and WII have USB ports.

if you are plugging a USB to ethernet (thats NOT wireless) into a wii and trying to do a wired connection with it via the Wii.. it will not work. full stop.  

the reason is  each and every usb device has a VID/PID pair (vendor id/product id) and these are used for identification and the loading of the correct drivers)

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: 3rd party USB ethernet adapters
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 12:48:23 PM »
ya, obviously, generic adapters would need wii-specific drivers. That's why we need ppl to start hacking the OS already; as we all know that Nintendo won't exactly be forthcoming in opening up the Wii OS
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 06:20:45 PM »
Good news!

Someone on the Nsider forums discovered a working USB Ethernet adapter for those who wish to use a Wired Connection rather than a Wireless one. The adapter is a: KINAMAX USB 2.0 to RJ45 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-T Network Adapter which can be founded at newegg.com for roughly $20-25. Read more for the video
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 07:02:43 PM »
Wow, that's great. I just got a wireless router for cheap after rebates though ($7), so I'm golden anyways, but if the wireless ever goes out, it's nice to know there's a solution available now.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 07:04:47 PM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
Anybody get one of these to work? I have a linksys one that doesn't work at all. Good thing one of my neighbours has an unprotected wi-fi network I can leech off of until I get my wired connection working

I really don't think thats a good idea without permission, it could be a criminal offense, kinda like stealing cable
I would ask your neighbors if it's ok that you connect to their network rather than sponge off of it without permission.
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 08:16:52 PM »

Originally posted by: NeoThunder

Originally posted by: ryancoke

I really don't think thats a good idea without permission, it could be a criminal offense, kinda like stealing cable
I would ask your neighbors if it's ok that you connect to their network rather than sponge off of it without permission.

The neighbor is broadcasting a public signal.  It's not illegal to connect to a public access point.

If he doesn't want people using it, he should use more security (i.e. ANY AT ALL).

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 02:04:24 AM »

Originally posted by: RiskyChris

The neighbor is broadcasting a public signal.  It's not illegal to connect to a public access point.

If he doesn't want people using it, he should use more security (i.e. ANY AT ALL).

You're saying two different things here.

First of all, by default, all wireless signals are projected into - for all intents and purposes - the public.  Since it's more or less like a radio wave and dissipates out radially from the router, it's going to reach areas/people/devices that we can't control.  It's not connecting directly to, say, your Wii/laptop/etc.  It just puts the signal out there and lets devices latch onto it.

Now, if this is truly a public access point, then we've got no problem here.  But by saying "he should use more security" makes me think the guy running it is just a typical clueless wireless owner, and he hasn't gone through the trouble of setting up WEP or WPA.  

That said, while I am unsure about the legalities (every time this argument/discussion appears on the 'net, there's a volley of different opinions), it's generally accepted that you don't connect to an open wireless network UNLESS it is thought of as completely open and public (i.e., Starbucks) for "reasons," but I can't say criminal because, again, I'm not sure it constitutes criminal behavior.

The point to all of this is that it isn't a good argument/defense to say "well it's his fault for not putting security on it."  That's like saying - albiet exaggerated - that "well it's totally their fault for getting robbed, because they didn't lock the door."  

Generally the idea here is that an ISP could find a user recording large amounts of bandwidth and realize that their connection is getting abused by more than one person/account, at which point they can hit the person with termination or fees if it violates a TOS/EULA.

Summing up is this - you shouldn't connect to someone's network unless they've given you permission OR if it absolutely is public, because "they should secure it" makes it sound like it's not public.  You're probably not going to face any consequences at all (barring the small chance you could get hacked, but I have no faith in the average computer user being able to do that), but the fact remains that you shouldn't do it.

Again, I dunno if this is considered criminal/misdemeanor/etc yet.  Someone else would have to clarify that.

I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 02:50:15 AM »
I'm not going to leech the wireless connection forever and I barely even use it now. I haven't downloaded a VC game since the first batch right after launch and since then I have done 2 system updates. I've probably downloaded < 30mb of data.  I have every intention of buying the USB ethernet adapter when Nintendo releases it in January. Until then i'll keep my internet usage minimal.
My Wii Code:

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 07:36:25 AM »
Guys, did anyone order the Wii Lan Adapter from the online Nintendo store?
I'm asking because I want to get it but it's early January and the page still says "ships early January".
Thanks for the help
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)