Author Topic: Gen Con Expanding to Accomodate E3 Refugees  (Read 2352 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Gen Con Expanding to Accomodate E3 Refugees
« on: August 09, 2006, 05:48:57 PM »
Indianapolis show adding 43,000 square feet, Anaheim show moving to L.A. Convention Center.

GEN CON PICKS UP WHERE E3 LEAVES OFF;  LARGEST HOBBY GAME CONVENTIONS TO EXPAND VIDEO GAMES FOCUS    

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 8, 2006--Gen Con, LLC today announced its  plans to expand the offerings of the company's gaming shows. Gen Con will  increase venue space and change a location to better incorporate the video  game business as a focus of the Gen Con shows. This will give video game  manufacturers, developers, publishers and others, who traditionally attended  E3, a place to feature their products to the trade, media and consumers  alike.

"When the news came out about the drastic changes at E3, we began to hear  from some industry players about Gen Con increasing its capabilities to  better accommodate the industry," said Peter Adkison, CEO of Gen Con, LLC.  "With our vast experience in producing quality gaming shows, it is a natural  extension for us to make Gen Con a place where the electronic industry can  show off its products. The video game business has always been a part of our  shows, now they will have a greater presence making Gen Con the nation's  premier gaming show, period!"

In order to better accommodate the video game business into its existing  shows, Gen Con will expand its venue space at the Indianapolis show in 2007.  An additional 43,000 square feet will be added to the exhibit hall with  additional space expanding into area hotels as well to accommodate the  thousands of games taking place over the four-day event.

Gen Con So Cal, the companies' show held in Anaheim will be moved to the Los  Angeles Convention Center in 2007. This move will better serve the  entertainment industry, so prevalent in the gaming industry and more  importantly make Gen Con more accessible to consumers who wish to see the  latest and greatest in all things gaming.

"We are absolutely delighted to expand our relationship with Gen Con. This  is a fantastic opportunity for our city to host this exciting new show,"  said Michael Krouse, Vice President of Convention Sales of The Los Angeles  Convention and Visitors Bureau.

About Gen Con LLC Shows

Now in its 39th year, Gen Con "The Best Four Days in Gaming!" has become the  largest annual hobby game convention in North America. It draws an avid  following of attendees with an annual turnstyle attendance of over 100,000.  The shows are known for product launch events and as a place where attendees  participate in card games, board games, live-action roleplaying games,  miniatures, computer games and more. Gen Con is open to the public and held  twice. In 2006, the shows are in Indianapolis August 10-13 and Anaheim  November 16-19.

In addition to the Gen Con shows, the company recently produced the Star  Wars Celebration III for Lucasfilm and will do so for next year's Star Wars  Celebration IV show at the Los Angeles Convention Center May 24-28, 2007.  Gen Con, LLC produces the largest consumer fantasy, sci-fi and adventure  game convention in North America. Its operations include Gen Con Indy, Gen  Con So Cal and Star Wars Celebration IV, and licensee for European Gen Con  shows. It was founded in May of 2002 by former CEO and founder of Wizards of  the Coast, Peter Adkison, who solely owns the company headquartered in  Seattle, Washington. The company's mission is to create The Best Four Days  in Gaming! every year for its customers. For more information visit the  website at www.gencon.com.

LA INC. The Los Angeles Convention and Visitors Bureau is a private,  not-for-profit business association whose primary mission is to market the  city of Los Angeles as the premier destination for conventions, meetings and  leisure travel. Though not part of city government, LA INC. is recognized as  the city's official tourism marketing organization. For more information,  please visit www.seemyla.com.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
RE: Gen Con Expanding to Accomodate E3 Refugees
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 06:07:51 PM »
Hell yeah!  Indy is so much closer than Cali is!  Whoo!  I might go!  I wonder if Nintendo will have a big presence there next year...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 06:55:50 PM »
No presence at all!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 07:25:45 PM »
I will just go to test it out. Though I doubt that most of the major players will be there especially the Indie showing, since I only think only 2 publishers have a branch in Chicago. Most will opt for the LA showing, but it would be a coup even if they have some of the major third parties there because that will give me a place to go to dress strangly and play up coming games. (My sister and her friend "volunteer" my services in their cosplay troup.)
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 05:06:26 AM »
From what I know, this seems odd.  GenCon has always had a stronger emphasis on actually playing games than the glitzy E3.  At least that's the impression I've always gotten from people writing about the events.  I wonder if the regular GenCon goers will balk at this development.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 06:14:09 AM »
Consider if GenCon enforces rules.  They could state that you must have playable demos in your kiosk.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.