Author Topic: Gunpei Yokoi to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award  (Read 3329 times)

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Gunpei Yokoi to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award
« on: February 20, 2003, 06:11:08 AM »
Yokoi-san's family will accept the award during the Game Developers Choice Awards at this years GDC.  Yuji Naka to present.

Game Boy Creator Gunpei Yokoi to Receive IGDA'S Lifetime Achievement Award At The 3rd Annual Game Developers Choice Awards

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - February 20, 2003 - The International Game Developers Association (IGDA) will recognize legendary game developer Gunpei Yokoi for the innovative work he produced during his career. Yokoi will be honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Game Developers Choice Awards ceremony on March 6 during CMP Media's Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Jose, Calif. Last year's recipient, Yuji Naka, will be presenting the award, which Yokoi's family will be accepting on his behalf.

"I am as deeply honored to be presenting this award as I was to receive it," said Yuji Naka, president and CEO, SONICTEAM, LTD., a SEGA development studio. "To have a life's work recognized by other game creators is the most meaningful honor one could receive."

In a career spanning nearly three decades, Yokoi is best known as the creator of the Nintendo Game Boy. Overwhelmingly popular since its launch, the Game Boy and its successors have sold more than 142 million units worldwide.

During his early years at Nintendo, Yokoi led the company's entry into the video game space, creating the Game & Watch -- a credit card-sized video game that introduced the cross-shaped directional pad. He went on to collaborate with Shigeru Miyamoto to design arcade classics such as "Donkey Kong," "Mario Brothers" and "Metroid."

In 1996, Yokoi founded Koto Laboratory, while continuing to consult for Nintendo. Tragically, Yokoi was killed in a traffic accident the following year.  

"Gunpei Yokoi is the forefather of the portable video game industry," said Jason Della Rocca, program director, IGDA. "His innovation and creativity are sorely missed in our community. We're proud to recognize Yokoi-san and his work with the Lifetime Achievement Award."

The Game Developers Choice Awards Advisory Board selects the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award.

The ceremony for the 3rd annual Game Developers Choice Awards, the premier accolades for peer-recognition in game development, is scheduled to take place at 6:30 p.m. on March 6, 2003, at the GDC. Produced by the Gama Network, the GDC is the world's largest conference and exposition dedicated to video game development and related industries.

Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Sean

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 06:48:18 AM »
As usual, we wait until the most obvious geniuses (hardly praised in their lives most times) DIE before we honor them.  Sad, really.  Yokoi-san, you are missed!
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 02:28:54 PM »
He created Samus Aran...what more do you need to say?
I have crabs, would you like some?

Visit TendoFire, it's for your own good, OK!

Offline i_roma

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 05:19:04 PM »
Is it true that Mr. Yokoi left Nintendo after the failure of his innovative  creation the "Vitrual Boy"?

Please Correct me if I'm Wrong

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 04:00:37 AM »
Will any of the PGC staff be attending and taking pictures of the award presentation and Gunpei Yokoi's family accepting the award? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see images of that.

Info: [L=]http://www.virtual-boy.org/gunpei%20yokoi.htm[/L]
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps

Offline Azule

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 04:19:17 AM »
I fixed that link for you....click here.

Originally posted by: i_roma
Is it true that Mr. Yokoi left Nintendo after the failure of his innovative  creation the "Vitrual Boy"?

Please Correct me if I'm Wrong

He didn't invent the VB, nor did Nintendo....it was made by 2 other guys who were shopping it around. I think it was similar to an idea he had (I think his idea was in color) but he took this one on as his own. Something like that.
I have crabs, would you like some?

Visit TendoFire, it's for your own good, OK!

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 09:03:14 AM »
Yes, we'll be there.
Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com

Offline Nintendo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2003, 10:58:21 AM »

Originally posted by: PGC-Agent Cooper
Yes, we'll be there.

That's awesome news Billy! Will there be video, audio or photographic footage be taken?

There are so many people wondering what Gunpei's family has to say and see who will be accepting the award on his behalf, THANKS PGC! ^_^
"What if everything you see is more than what you see - the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps