Author Topic: OMG It's a (FAKE) Mario Rev!  (Read 4640 times)

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
OMG It's a (FAKE) Mario Rev!
« on: April 24, 2006, 08:51:22 AM »

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE:OMG It's a (FAKE) Mario Rev!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 08:58:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/24/super-mario-revolution-sighting-maybe/

Some of the worst fakes ever? Indeed.

Too true, although it's so sad how many people posting in that thread there on joystiq believe them to be legit...
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE: OMG It's a (FAKE) Mario Rev!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:17:42 AM »
It stinks of fake. Why even bother I say.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:20:30 AM »
You can tell it's fake because the backgrounds have no resemblance whatsoever to the typical Mario style.  Those environments look like something out of Zelda.  Mario stuff is all colourful and has this weird abstract look to it.

The people who make up fake stuff are usually so obvious because they rarely get what a franchise is all about so they make up stuff that doesn't fit and thus could never be real.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:41:21 AM »
I hope the next Mario does look like that cause then Nintendo would finally be giving me the Mario that they promised back for the N64 aka Project Reality.

I had Newspaper clipping about the N64 from back in '94-'95 that had a picture of Mario running through a realistic city. It had me soooo juiced for the N64 that I couldn't wait to play it, so I hung the paper clipping up where I could see it. If I can find it, I post it up here. But I would be very happy if Nintendo finally delivered the title I expected to see back then, even if it took them 10 yrs to deliver it.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »
Wow.
What a high concentration of idiocy.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »
Mario.... Real... World...

Oh, you must mean the Movie or TV show right?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 11:48:57 AM »
heres a better, although still crappy fake

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »
No guns and blood?

Lame.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 12:27:29 PM »
They look like they could be real.  Except for that last one it looks bad and very photoshopped.  I dont get how you can tell the top ones are fake, I woulda believed they were real if i saw em before coming here... The last one looks like its outta SSBM

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 12:33:30 PM »
they dont look like the could be real at all. They look just as bad as the last picture

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »
Why does it look like he's encased in blue jello?
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 01:28:48 PM »
its an effect to encase all the objects in a similar light tone, thus eliminating some color differentiation...tbhe problem is the way mario is cut out, and that the face is too higlighted...i didnt want to spend to much time on the picture though

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 04:45:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
You can tell it's fake because the backgrounds have no resemblance whatsoever to the typical Mario style.  Those environments look like something out of Zelda.  Mario stuff is all colourful and has this weird abstract look to it.

The people who make up fake stuff are usually so obvious because they rarely get what a franchise is all about so they make up stuff that doesn't fit and thus could never be real.
Ian, what are you talking about? The first image has a mushroom on the door and the second has a warp pipe and Yoshi. All of these traits are very typically Mario. These could easily be a Mario title. Easily.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 05:19:34 PM »
I have to agree that those pictures don't have a Mario look and feel.  They have a more Garden Gnome look and feel.  If that does end up being the next Mario there better be very solid gameplay and a story that puts the other to shame.  That's about like the cel-shade change with Zelda but I liked the Cel-shade.

Mario 128:  If I Were a Garden Gnome
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 05:19:57 PM »
The roofs in the second pic even look like turtle shells.
They aren't the most traditional of Mario environments but we have seen them before.
The first pic looks like a town in Super Mario RPG and the second resembles the night themed levels in Yoshi's Island.
I could actually believe these are real but there are just too many obvious signs they are fake. The environments not being one of them.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
I think these attempts are wrong-headed. Do we really think Nintendo's just going to make Mario more realistic, with more polygons, a la SSBM and Sunshine? Doubt it. Cel Shading worked wonders for Zelda, but Mario is much more deserving. Ian is right, his existence is abstract and I care nothing for running around a town, talking with people, and doing their errands RPG-style. Now, a town used as a level, that's neat. But after all, this is Jump-Man. Make me jump in a way I never have before. Make it fun to jump high and do incredible things. Mario 64 had the spirit, but Sunshine more or less followed Banjo-Kazooie in its world design, in that you can't fall off of the levels. Banjo-Kazooie is a great bridge between the Mario and Zelda styles (so is Mystical Ninja 64, though it is planted on the Zelda end of the spectrum), and I would argue it is more fun than Super Mario 64, but it isn't where Mario should be. No more item hunting! I think Mario should be something more like (but not exactly like) Rez in its visual approach, and the bonus levels in Sunshine in its gameplay - abstract, jump-oriented, and linear. There's worlds and worlds of things to do within that framework. I don't need a cohesive world like Delfino Isle to keep me interested (though that waterfall was beautiful). Nor do I need a story of any complexity. I just want to jump.  
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 07:23:11 PM »
Those are fake. I think at least one of those pictures uses a render from Mario RPG for SNES. If those were real, then I would lose all hope in the Revolution. Horrible photoshop job. It's probably Paint Shop Pro even.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 07:24:45 PM »
Are you guys kidding? Those enviroments are not Mario style. They're realistic, and Mario will never be realistic.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 08:55:24 PM »
Again, I think they're fake but consider this . . .

What if screens from Super Mario Sunshine had been leaked out before its unveiling at Spaceworld a few years back?

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 09:35:57 PM »
It's possible they could make some Mario Gaiden type game where he's in a more realistic setting for a game.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 10:24:53 PM »
I am a screen. I am permanent, yet always changing image. All visions pass through me.
I do not anticipate. I do not project. I merely view in full detail, that which passes through me.
Fake or real does not matter. Hope and disappointment does not matter. Only the imprint left on my surface after the image passes through me matters.
Then, having accepted that image in its entirety, I await the next.
Such is the way of this fanboy.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 04:19:19 AM »
You know we are all bias by now.

But I do feel that it still fits fro the most part.  The bright color scheme.  The roundish characters.  Some notable characters.  I have a much easier time with those compared to these.  Now on the flipside if they would have gone the Smash Brother route and gave Mario clothes textures and the like then I might be a little bit more into claiming fake.  Pretty much the closer Mario was to SSBM Mario the more likely I would have been to call fake.  Especially if the world itself sacrificed its brightness for realism.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 07:20:55 AM »
I agree with Ian on the environments - they look like generic renders with Mario elements pasted on.  But it's not the most obvious problem.  I think the most obvious problem is that the Mario model is totally different in each picture (first one looks like modified Super Mario Sunshine shot, second one looks like crap) and Yoshi is clearly drawn-in in the background of the second one.

For the first shot to work, I'd suggest red roofs everywhere, some type of star or other Mario symbol on the flower pot, and less texture detail.  

For the second shot to work, it needs a better Mario model, and the pipe and Yoshi need to be better...I think they're hand-drawn, I'd look for screenshots, but even then the lighting needs to be heavily modified.  Lighting would be a huge problem in general.  Even once that's done, the smoke looks fake, the sky needs some larger, cartoonier stars, and the rooftops need to have shingles instead of that weird rocky texture.  Again, preferably red shingles.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX