Author Topic: Contact Comes to America  (Read 4214 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Contact Comes to America
« on: March 03, 2006, 07:09:39 AM »
Atlus will bring the Nintendo WFC RPG to North America.

ATLUS U.S.A., INC. ANNOUNCES "CONTACT" FOR THE NINTENDO DS    

An Offbeat Action RPG Packed with Hunting, Cooking, Fishing, Training,   Collecting,  and Romance!

IRVINE, CA - March 3, 2006 - Atlus U.S.A., Inc., a leading publisher of   interactive  entertainment, today announced the acquisition of the North American   publishing  rights to Contact, an action role-playing game for the Nintendo DS.   Developed  in Japan by Marvelous Interactive Inc., Contact is scheduled for release in   the  summer of 2006.    

"Contact is the rare breed of quirky RPG that attracts a rabid fanbase with   its  whacked-out story, setting, and characters," said Tomm Hulett, Project Lead   for  Atlus U.S.A., Inc. "I'm excited that gamers will be able to spread the fever  to thousands of others with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection."    

Contact has not yet been rated by the ESRB.    

ABOUT CONTACT    

The klaxon alarm is shrieking! Something is wrong! The Professor wrestles   his  damaged spaceship to a crash landing on a mysterious planet.    

In the aftermath of the crash, The Professor discovers that the power   sources  of his ship, known as Cells, have been scattered across the surface of this   strange  world. To retrieve them all, The Professor enlists the aid of a brave young   man  named Terry--and a brave video game player known as you! The Professor and   Terry  will ask for your help during the course of the adventure, using the   Nintendo  DS to "contact" you along the way.    

Will The Professor gather the Cells and return to outer space? Will you   learn  the goal of the mysterious organization that seeks to gather the Cells for   itself?    

The future of an entire world has been placed in your hands!    

CONTACT KEY FEATURES    

• Abundant gameplay activities including animal-training, item-collecting,   monster-hunting,  and old-school mini-games!  
  • Dual-screen functionality with mission maps, interior/exterior viewpoints,  and more!  
  • Real-time combat with special abilities and powerful "Decal Attacks"!  
  • Character design by Atsuko Fukushima, whose credits include the PSP hit   PoPoLoCrois!

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE: Contact Comes to America
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 07:38:46 AM »
This is the game from Suda 51, right?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 07:40:20 AM »
Even though Killer7 freaks me out, me wants it.

Offline KirbySStar

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 07:55:59 AM »
Thank you Atlus!  Now bring over more Japanese DS-only games please.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
RE:Contact Comes to America
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 08:07:21 AM »

Originally posted by: KirbySStar
Now bring over more Japanese DS-only games please.
They should start with Cooking Mama.  God that game looks great.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 09:10:55 AM »
Wow.

I have never heard of this game.  But...I kinda want it.

Anyone got a Famitsu score on this one?
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 09:22:20 AM »
I just checked out the screen shots on PGC.  I'm confused.  In many of them the bottom screen doesn't seem to have anything to do with the top screen.  It looks like the bottom screen images got mixed up with ones from Lost in Blue.

Hmm ... am I allowed to direct link to images hosted by PGC?    

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 09:28:49 AM »
I will have to buy this game from sheer, morbid curiosity.

The game alone is odd enough, but how the f*ck they integrate online play will keep me up at night until I hear more about it.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 09:34:38 AM »
The screens do match. Part of the game is the prof in his lab/ship, and the other is the guy out in the world finding stuff.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 09:45:03 AM »
Also, this game looks beautiful. The painted landscapes are downright gorgeous.

This reminds me of the PC adventure games where exploration and puzzle solving were the focus.

Anyone remember Inherit the Earth, The Dig, Full Throttle, etc.? That's what I'm picking up here.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 10:28:27 AM »

Originally posted by: Artimus
The screens do match. Part of the game is the prof in his lab/ship, and the other is the guy out in the world finding stuff.
The art style is completely different between the two screens.  The top screen looks like something out of the Mother series.  The bottom screen looks like Lost in Blue.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 10:41:43 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu

Originally posted by: Artimus
The art style is completely different between the two screens.  The top screen looks like something out of the Mother series.  The bottom screen looks like Lost in Blue.

I'm aware of that, but the screens go together. The two parts of the game have different art sytles?

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 10:48:28 AM »
It might be something technical.  

Or just some wierd, wacky art design.

Frankly...I like it.  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 11:10:40 AM »
I saw it coming...(Atlus publishing, that is...)

But Ferny isn't going to be happy...Not at all! (Atlus and Oz don't mix... .)

~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 11:23:03 AM »
Guys, this is from the same guy who told you that it's a good idea to go to the guy in pink bondage hanging from the wall for advice. And you're surprised by art styles?
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2006, 04:38:08 PM »
This game looks beautiful.  I hope it plays well, looks awesome from what little I know about it.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2006, 04:55:28 PM »
Atlus is quickly becoming one of my favorite publishers. The fact that they tend to publish innovative and quirky games has made them a natural fit for the DS.

I'm still hoping that the other Gyakuten Saiban games will make their way stateside somehow. Perhaps through a publisher like Atlus, since Capcom didn't have enough faith in Phoenix Wright to ship a decent number of copies.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2006, 05:14:10 PM »
So where does the Wi-fi come in? Will there be a multiplayer function? Or will it be used to trade items and such?

Sounds like an interesting title. What else is Marvelous known for?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 05:27:56 PM »
I believe Marvelous makes the Harvest Moon games.
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2006, 05:57:02 PM »
Thanks Atlus, now nobody will get the chance to play this game. >=|

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 09:46:23 AM »
Excellent news.  I wanted this game after playing Killer 7, so it's good to hear it's coming over for sure.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 04:09:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
So where does the Wi-fi come in? Will there be a multiplayer function? Or will it be used to trade items and such?

Sounds like an interesting title. What else is Marvelous known for?

From a babelfish translation of the official site...

Using ?????? Wi-Fi connection function, when you connect with DS of the friend, the character where hobby and comment etc. of the friend are reflected as a resident NPC appearance to your DS! !

The friend living in the stage of his own venture, you give what, become power. With the various scene, probably to cooperate via venture!

While advancing the game, private stage "y y island of the friend contact (description below)" and it probably will enjoy the change of the world freely!
Wi-Fi private stage "y y island"
-When it communicates, appearance on the world map! The island of puzzle will be searched freely!
That while being connected, you will think and the drill will try acting freely who.
-In ruins accommodation space which is the y y Simauti section, NPC which has become the friend it increases as a resident!
The companion is increased steadily, the ?? concave.
-Conversation and the new event with the friend NPC inside accommodation space occur!
"You" in the game "who?" that with, it probably will contact positively.
-Bonus element such as acquisition of the specific item and rise of specific skill is attached due to the fact that friend NPC increases,!
When the friend increases, by his does profit, whether the ?? ?!
-As for friend up to 8 register possibility!
Maximum of 8 new residents can begin life in accommodation space.
-Even at area other than y y island, rare event!
It is, quantity such as appearance of the new treasure box, opening of the room of not opening, the appearance of new NPC, occurrence and private one ? of the new event, ill-smelling it is!

So my take is that you visit each other on some island?  And you can get stat bonuses?  Possibly up to 8 players at a time?  I dunno...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 05:16:13 PM »

It is, quantity such as appearance of the new treasure box, opening of the room of not opening, the appearance of new NPC, occurrence and private one ? of the new event, ill-smelling it is!
Oh, wonderful!
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig