Author Topic: cross your fingers  (Read 2542 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
cross your fingers
« on: January 16, 2006, 06:45:19 AM »
I'm  hoping revolution games have a sizable  storage capacity. If  I have to  I would settle for xbox size dvd-9,  but of  course I want even bigger like some proproetary format that only Nintendo uses. As far as  I know  info on this subject is inconclusive and back and forth. Heres  hoping  for a big size.  

Why do I want it? On  gamecube  1.5gb was a  big setback for third parties. Maybe even first parties, would metroid be  even  better  if  there was  more space? I think alot of the high production  value of  some  games  on ps2 and  xbo  that some gamecube games don't  have is because of  this.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Nosferat2

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:cross your fingers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »
Yea, like what happened to Medal of Honor's bonus video when you get all gold stars. I was pissed when i got shafted after the pain in the buttocks i when through to get those gold stars. I suspect it was the storage media rather than EA. The PS2 got the videos but the the GC. I doudt EA excluded them purposely. I blamed EA for the shafting when it was most likely Nintendos fault....  

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 07:55:26 AM »
I'd like those crazy discs that can hold 1 terabyte, but I'm guessing Nintendo will go for the cost-cutting route and have a format similar to DVDs.  Single-layer, probably.  

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 10:01:29 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
I'd like those crazy discs that can hold 1 terabyte, but I'm guessing Nintendo will go for the cost-cutting route and have a format similar to DVDs.  Single-layer, probably.  

Since HVD won't even be available until the Fall of 2006 at the earliest (and a consumer-usable product not before 2008/2009) I'd say 1 terabyte discs can be ruled out. DVD-9s don't cost much more (pennies) to produce than single layer DVDs so I don't think "cost-cutting" will be much of an issue.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: cross your fingers
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:08:31 PM »
There was a statement that it would have DVD style discs, that was retracted. But I would assum that even if its propirtary for piracy prevention, it will be simular to DVD-4.5 and when doubled layered DVD-9.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 02:27:15 PM »
Well, I can mention that Metroid Prime 2 is 1.35GB large, has 201MB of streaming audio/music, and 434MB of video/pre-rendered animation (the idle-movie and the GF Trooper Last Stand being the 2 biggest movies).
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 10:18:03 AM »
I still would blame that missing video on EA.  If they spent the time to either A)compress audio slightly to make more room.  Or B) use some digital compression on the video then they should have been able to put the bonus video on the Gamecube disc.  Truth is, developers get lazy when they have extra space and they don't clean up their code, or do they compress files intelligently.  Since EA wanted to save money on a quick port they didn't waste the time needed to include everything on the disc.  

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 06:39:00 PM »
When have you folks seen a DVD based _reader_ that could only read a single layer?

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 09:37:08 PM »
Any DVD reader that can accept burned disc can read on one-layer. Because up until the middle of last year, burnt DVDs were only one-layer. They have only recently been able to mass-produce duel-layer burners. So I guess I have several in my house.

And since GODs are single layer and based off of the DVD format the Gamecube can read single layer discs.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 11:54:19 AM »

I still would blame that missing video on EA. If they spent the time to either A)compress audio slightly to make more room. Or B) use some digital compression on the video then they should have been able to put the bonus video on the Gamecube disc. Truth is, developers get lazy when they have extra space and they don't clean up their code, or do they compress files intelligently. Since EA wanted to save money on a quick port they didn't waste the time needed to include everything on the disc.

Well, knowing third parties won't cease to be lazy, why not give them enough storage?  I would hope for DVD9 but knowing Nintendo, they'll be normal DVDs, again the smallest format.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 04:41:35 PM »
Actually, my question was rhetorical.

ALL DVD drives can read dual-layered disks.

It's part of the spec.  

We're not talking burners here folks..... The Revolution is not going to burn DVD's...

Can we get off the whole DVD9 thing?  It's just some marketing genius bright idea to make some standard feature seam like a big thing.

The original Xbox was "DVD9", so was the Playstation 2

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
Yeah, it would basically be piontless for games not to come on DVD9s as all drives read them, and the Rev's drive is no exception. It's the quickest, most convenient solution for everyone - third parties have worked with DVD9s for ages, they're cheap as hell, etc. etc.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540