Author Topic: Capcom to change the gamplay mechanics in RE5: could mark the beginning of a new trend in games  (Read 8172 times)

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Yeah!!!

I am dying to NOT play it!

Reminds me of Starfox: Assault. Everything on rails ahoy!

WonĀ“t they ever learn?

We NEED things to be FREEROAMING, where WE decide what WE will do, where WE will go and not be steered around like old men out for a Sunday picnic with a bunch of nurses.

I have a new name for Starfox: Assault.

Here it comes: Starfox: Tivoli Ride
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Starfox: Assault is the sequel to a rail shooter, it has to be on rails because that's what most people buy the game for. The only rule that consistently applies to games is: "It has to be fun to someone". There is no other game design rule that can be universally applied to all games! Would it be better if one of the players could run off and wander through the country in Soul Calibur? Would Super Mario Bros. benefit from realistic physics and damage models? Should Madden involve guns? Does Sonic need vehicles? How about a complete economic simulation in Tetris? T&A in a Kirby game? A multiplayer mode for Monkey Island?

A game is designed with a certain goal and if that goal was to make a rail shooter telling them it should be free roaming is missing the point. Sure, it's a reason you won't buy it since you don't like rail shooters but if I preferred games with pink marshmallows and cute bunnies, should I complain that every game should include pink marshmallows and cute bunnies?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
KDR is being a bit harsh on HL2.  The game is awesome the first time through.  I'd go so far as to say it's probably the best FPS out there.

However, after subsequent replays, it becomes apparent that there's way too much scripting for its own good.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
You can say with a straight face that HL2 is better than the original?  UNHEARD OF!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I haven't played the original in a while.

I do remember hating the part with the teleporters towards the end of the game.  It took me forever to figure out that part.  I also wasn't fond of Xen.  But the rest of the game was pure gold.

But HL2 had much better AI than the original.  You can't deny that.  Also, as a general rule, I much prefer shooting people than aliens.  So HL2 gets a point there.

In all honesty, I think my favorite part of HL2 was the fact that the amount of ammo you could carry was really small for certain weapons.  I have a tendency to hoard weapons/ammo/health, especially in games with quick save/load.  Since you couldn't carry a lot of ammo in HL2 I didn't worry about wasting an entire clip on a single headcrab because I knew I'd find more ammo right around the corner (or I could back up ten yards and pick up a clip I passed because my ammo was full).

For the record, the ability to only carry two weapons was the single greatest feature of Halo.  The rechargeable shield was #2.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
"T&A in a Kirby game? "

Ahahaha
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
vudu: After replaying? Sheesh, I haven't even played through it once and the scripting already became obvious. I don't know about you but I had to replay many scenes immediately because I messed up and died or took unnecessary damage (standard practice in most FPSs but who am I telling that?). And for the record, I hate Ravenholm. I hate it so much I stopped playing half way through. Why can't they at least give me enough ammo to take down all those zombies? Why do I have to use that stupid gravgun?

HL2 was a pretty mediocre FPS like any other except that it was more buggy than the rest and came with that f#cking Steam crap that has no reasonable justification for its existence. Either way it wasn't worth the fifty Euros I paid and I should have waited until the price dropped.

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
KDR_11k,

I think you are contradicting yourself, if even just slightly by writing:

"Why can't they at least give me enough ammo to take down all those zombies? Why do I have to use that stupid gravgun?"

Remember that you replied to me in this way:

"a game is designed with a certain goal and if that goal was to make a rail shooter telling them it should be free roaming is missing the point. Sure, it's a reason you won't buy it since you don't like rail shooters but if I preferred games with pink marshmallows and cute bunnies, should I complain that every game should include pink marshmallows and cute bunnies"

Yes, a game is designed with a specific goal in mind, and therefore it is probably that which is to blame for "the grav gun" insertion into the level which you dislike so much. The probable reason why they donĀ“t give you enough ammo, may be to increase the fear-factor and skill-factor! IĀ“ve felt like that before, and came to that conclusion. No matter how annoying, it is the way they want the game to be, apparently, and so there is those who like it and those who donĀ“t. Just like StarFox: Assault.

And I am not saying that every game should be free-roaming, since there are people who like it when it is on rails.

But a shooter is in my opinion not supposed to be on rails at all, since that has nothing to do with any perceived situation anywhere in any reality where you would be required to defend against an invading force! Because WHO then is controlling the craft you are flying, if not you? How will you explain that? "ItĀ“s on rails, and thatĀ“s the way it is", is the only explanation I get.

But that explanation is not going to work with me! Fox McCloud should be controlling that craft - NOBODY and nothing else! Period. Yet, he is not controlling it! He is steering the laser-cannons, and even those he canĀ“t control fully (I am here talking about the space missions only), because of the invisible hand steering the craft on rails (darn#Ā¤%&annoying)!!!

The fact that it is the opposite of free roaming, makes the game stand out as contradictory and confusing, and that is why I donĀ“t like it. If called for in any conflict, whether for real or in a game, I will want to be FREE to do what I feel is best when defending and counter attacking.

If I want a Tivoli Ride, I can go to an Amusement Park.

Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
I wasn't a fan of Ravenholm either.  But mostly just because (as previously mentioned) I much prefer to shoot humans than aliens/zombies.  Although the not zombies in RE4 didn't bother me so much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
Gamebasher: It's just my oppinion. Of course I know it's meant to be that way (except for the bugs!) but I'm indirectly explaining why I dislike HL2 because just saying "I hate it" isn't very conductive to the debate, right?

The probable reason why they donĀ“t give you enough ammo, may be to increase the fear-factor and skill-factor!

Fear? What fear? The gravgun downs the enemies in one shot so there's nothing really to fear, skill isn't it, either, grab, aim, release. I guess it's just that they loved playing around with that gimmick gun so they had to make a stage where you use it a whole lot.

anywhere in any reality where you would be required to defend against an invading force!

You make that sound like Starfox is a realistic game. Arguing realism is futile because I could argue that the whole concept of interstellar space flight as portrayed in that game is pretty farfetched or that a fox isn't exactly intelligent enough to know what a spacecraft is. I don't need an explaination why I can't tell Link to cooperate with Ganon and conquer the world, why you can have only one shot on the screen in Space Invaders (expalination: Because Space Invaders sucks!) or why Mario can't sidestep in Super Mario Bros. It's a game mechanic and if you hate it, do what I did with HL2: Stop playing and get a decent game .

Offline Gamebasher

• View Profile
I agree, itĀ“s a game mechanic.

But what a horrible game mechanic!

Drop that game I already did!

And that pretty much puts that discussion to an end.