Author Topic: Wario Ware: Touched!  (Read 4444 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Wario Ware: Touched!
« on: February 22, 2005, 07:03:26 AM »
Should've written this review two months ago or something but anyway...

For those few who haven't played any previous Wario Ware game, the series is about a sequence of "microgames", minigames that take 5-10 seconds and usually just one action to complete. You have to solve these in rapid succession (and the pace gets faster as you go along) until you run out of lives. You lose one life every time you fail to archieve the goal of a minigame and gain one whenever you successfully complete the boss game (a minigame without time limit), you start with the maximum of four lives. Instead of levels there are characters, each one has his or her own set of minigames and (long winded) intro and outro. You defeat a character by completing his or her boss stage once. After you have defeated them winning the boss game merely makes the minigames harder (on Level 1, that is, before you defeat the boss once, you have to try to lose those games) and gains you an extra life if you have less than four lives left.

The minigames consist of simple tasks like drawing a line between two points, blowing away enemies or moving some object into position. Your weapons are the stylus and the microphone, the latter used only for blowing into it (and almost all minigames involving it only consist of blowing at the right times). Since almost all characters have some theme going for them that consists of an action that all minigames use (e.g. rubbing, rotating, drawing) there might be a feeling of similarity among them, especially when you play against Mike, whose theme is "blowing into the microphone" (sounds fun, eh?). Generally the variety of graphical styles and the meaning of those actions (rotating can mean inputting a safe combination or navigating a labyrinth) manages to remove the feeling of similarity, except for Mike's games.

If you manage to beat a certain score for a character you get a bonus... uh... thing. Those range from an egg timer or yoyo to longer minigames you play for the highscore (these come with their own bonuses for beating a certain score). Except for the minigames these are completely useless and you'll throw them into your storage room (you can store them on the character field or the storage room) after five seconds and never dig them up again.

The game is really short and easy, you'll beat all characters and unlock (almost) all bonuses in two hours max. After that you can only try to beat your highscores. There is also a mode that lets you play one minigame over and over again to see how many times you can complete it and if you get a certain score at all of them you'll get another bonus (I haven't got that but I extrapolate that from the first WW game, where you got one for that as well). The game is really fun at first but the lack of purpose will soon take its toll on your fun.
Worth mentioning is the issue with the microphone and loud areas: The engine of a car apparently sounds the same as someone blowing into the mic so if you're playing WW:T on a trip you might want to stay clear of the mic games since constant blowing will not win ALL of them. That's bad for a handheld game you'll most likely play on a car trip.

Graphics: Well suited but not impressive, 0 (good/par)
Sound: some of the music is a bit repetitive and nerve grinding after a while but it doens't matter much. 0 (good/par)
Controls: Can't get any easier. Using the stylus is intuitive though blowing into the mic might be a bit embarrassing in public. + (great)

Final verdict (aka Fun): 0 (good/par). A good game but gets boring way too fast. Fun while it lasts, though.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Wario Ware: Touched!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 05:31:18 AM »
I do not understand your whacked numbers/symbols...

1)  Definitely not a game for everyone, but I absolutely love it and have already put at least 10 hours into replaying the minigames trying to beat my high scores...And I don't see myself stopping for a while...
2)  Your car must be loud, because I had no problem with my car trip test drive...

Personal score: 9.0/10
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 07:12:53 AM »
1) I'm with Bill on this one.  I am having an absolute blast with this game.  Now, I don't see myself playing this quite as long as the first WW (I'm still playing that!), but I'm not going tire of it any time soon.  If you go back and play the first game, you'll notcie that you do the same thing over and over again, and the same minigames show up just as often (which reminds me, where's out Touched! high score thread?)
2) I've played this in a car, a van, and an SUV and none of them have effected the blowing microgames.
3) My only complaints are that most of the unlockables are totally useless except the noise-maker and there aren't enough multiplayer games.  There are tons of microgames that would have made great "minigames" (ala paper plane, skateboarding in the first one), but didn't make it because of rushed production.  Same with mulitplayer games.  I've only seen one so far and it's mediocre at best.

Sill, it gets a 9/10 so far (subject to change as I play more...)  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 08:21:20 AM »
I'm using a rating system that goes from -- to ++ with 0 (would be 3/5) meaning "good" and being the par to reach (people don't buy mediocre games so I don't see a reason to differentiate those from bad games), + and - meaning great and bad respectively and ++ and -- being reserved for absolute standouts. Basically anything 0 and above is worth buying.

1: Well, I can only talk about my own POV since I cannot predict what other people might consider fun. Highscore beating doesn't work for more than two or three rounds for me.
2: I'm sure it's rare but possible nonetheless. Personally I'd like top see audio usage kept low in handheld games since noise tends to disturb other people near you.
3: Yep, some multiplayer game using the DS's symmetric control layout would've been nice.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 06:18:31 AM »
Multiplayer games?  Are you referring to the ping-pong thing, because otherwise I haven't seen any at all.

I've been enjoying this game quite a lot.  It's my first Warioware and now I'm definitely thinking about getting the first one, maybe Twisted when it comes out.  I've only played it in my room thus far, so it's not been a problem at all as far as sound goes, and it's last me about ten hours of gameplay time so far.  It's too short, which is always disappointing, but it has tons of replay value.  I'm currently trying to get gold crowns for all the characters (I'm not much of a high score beater, either).
I can tell my mother and sister will love this game.  They've become addicted to my DS, so I keep them in mind when I buy games.
I'd give this about an 8.7 for now, but if the replay value totally disregards the short primary game it'll bump up to a nine.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 09:23:37 AM »
That's why I'm using the conditional "would be nice". The DS has effectively two dpads, why aren't they used???

Personally I doubt I'll ever get all gold crowns because playing one microgame over and over is kinda uninteresting. Feels almost MMO-like, doing something because you think it needs to be done, not because you want to.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 10:37:05 AM »
Completing everything can feel like that at times, but I'm still determined to always do it.  I'm stubborn like that.
I'm mostly taking it step by step, though.  If I'm bored I'll turn on the DS and go through four mini-games before turning it off and doing something productive.  I'm getting there slowly and steadily, and playing it the fun way (aka Gnarly mode) at other times.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 09:28:23 PM »
Hm, can someone give me the names of the different bears? I only know them by their color as I can't read japanese.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 08:15:32 AM »
Pink = Monster Megamix
Yellow = Gnarly Mix
White = Hardcore Mix

^_^
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 10:29:45 PM »
This game has a top notch Mario Paint remix and pudding.

So it gets three garbage bags out of four paint brushes.

IHAVEABLUEPEN.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 05:32:49 AM »
Insightful as ever, Infernal. Guess we have to be glad it's not tourette's syndrome.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 06:23:45 PM »
It's a ring toss game.

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 05:21:33 PM »
Ashley's theme is an interesting example of what sort of sound the DS can pump out.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 06:21:55 PM »
Ashley's Theme is one of the best handheld themes ever!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 02:16:40 AM »
That must be the US version because the japanese one is repetitive and nerve grinding, like all Jpop songs.