Author Topic: Perrin Kaplan's a dumbass  (Read 4475 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Perrin Kaplan's a dumbass
« on: July 12, 2005, 04:37:56 AM »
EGM interview with Reggie from E3.

I assume most of you have read it, it's really a great interview.

But one sentence caught my eye in particular:

If you purely look at the specifications, you have to peg both systems at more than 300 bucks.

He is, of course, comparing the PS3 and Revolution.  He goes on to say that PS3 would actually be a bit higher, more towards 400, but this puts most of our worries to rest...Reggie's basically telling us that it's going to be at least as powerful as Xbox 360, not necessarily as powerful as PS3, and it will cost less.

The Interview.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Perrin Kaplan's a dumbass
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:55:10 AM »
Perrin's a chick, dude.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:36:45 AM »
Why, is the word "dumbass" only attributed to males?

If so, I can think of about twenty people who probably want to beat me up right now.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline pudu

• View Profile
RE:Perrin Kaplan's a dumbass
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 06:28:58 AM »
Here's the question and answer:

EGM: We just have a guess at the moment, various analysts' guesses and so forth. We're assuming that PS3 will be 300 to 400 dollars. Consistently, you guys have come in at a lower price point.

RFA: The difficulty in that question is, first you need to put a stake in the ground as to what the competitors are going to do. If you purely look at the specifications, you have to peg both systems at more than 300 bucks. Minimum. And Sony's system probably more up to 400 bucks. Now that assumes that they approach the business rationally and at least look to break even on hardware. Which isn't necessarily a good assumption, but you would assume that.

Again, Nintendo's taking the approach of, first, a gaming-centric console system yet we will have the capability because of that speed card and other types of memory to have movies and other types of content, but that's not the overall objective. We are center of the plate gaming. I have to assume that from a pricing standpoint, we will be substantially lower than the competition, because we don't have all of that added fluff that a gamer, frankly, doesn't—it's not core to gaming. Now, we'll see what happens when their pricing is announced and when ours is, but just as a rational businessperson, it leads you down that path.

The way I see it he's talking specifically about "what the competitors are going to do"...as he states in the sentence before he says "you have to peg both systems at more than 300 bucks".  There are a few other things in there to consider but I think what I've said and the fact that it's know that the console will be less expensive then the competition is proof enough for me.  My guess is Nintendo is shooting for a 250 max pricepoint and, of coarse, that is without a loss as always.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 06:29:48 AM »
Wait, what the hell?  Why are you talking about Reggie in the topic while Perrin Kaplan is in the topic title?

Reggie's basically telling us that it's going to be at least as powerful as Xbox 360, not necessarily as powerful as PS3, and it will cost less.

Um...Yeah?  Where are you going with this?  Do you realize that Ninty isn't throwing in all this extra multimedia crap, and it's THAT factor which will allow similar visuals to be produced and keep cost down?
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 07:40:42 AM »
I also took Reggie's statement to be about PS3 and Xbox, not Revolution.

And what does Perrin have to do with anything?
"wow."

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 08:26:38 AM »
The topic is old and I do not know what the heck is going on.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 08:30:19 AM »
I once heard someone talking about their hair, I think they wanted to change the color.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 08:37:39 AM »
lol yea - I thought this was an old topic too - I think that there actually is another thread with the sam title.

I think he was referring to Perrin's statement about "2-3 times powerful" which was later retracted, but could still turn out to be true when all the dust settles. MS and Sony's 30X numbers are just a fantasy.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 08:58:33 AM »
Yeah, Ice got what I meant.

I know, Bill, dear God.  All I'm saying is that we don't have to worry about power, we're still getting it, unless I misunderstood what Reggie said and pudu's right.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 09:10:03 AM »
Wait, then what's the point of the topic?  That Perrin Kaplan's statement was wrong?  You didn't think of the possibility that Sony's and MS' statements about the power of their systems were hilariously exaggerated?  It's what was done for this gen, so why not again?  Ninty is always conservative about the power of their systems, and even made the Gamecube seem a lot weaker than it actually is...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 09:23:29 AM »
I really don't see this interview as any confirmation of the Rev having comparable power to the competition.  Reggie is comparing the high price points of the PS3 and X360 and then says that Nintendo's taking a different approach.  The Rev is going to be cheaper and have "less fluff".  "Fluff" could mean anything.  We don't know exactly what's being sacrificed to make up for the lower price.  Nintendo considers HD support fluff and that's something that does relate to games.  Already we've seen something, though relatively minor, that is not just a non-gaming function get cut.

Considering how damaging it is for the Rev to be rumoured as underpowered you figure by now that if it wasn't Nintendo would put out the fire.  If people think your console is underpowered and it's not ideally you would want to set things straight ASAP.  The fact that Nintendo has not come forward and said outright that the Rev hardware can match the competition suggests that something is being comprimised.  Why would they allow a negative rumour to spread if they could kill it any time?

The Rev is probably going to be the "least powerful" console.  The important thing is how big of a difference is there and what's the tradeoff.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 09:42:29 AM »
Try going back to before this current generation of consoles was released...Was there any confirmation that the GC would match the other systems?  NEGATIVE...In fact, it sounded like the GC would be inferior to even the PS2...So much for that, eh?

Just as Iwata said, next-generation graphics are only the PRICE OF ADMISSION...Which means that they WILL be there, no questions asked...Why people fall into these bogus ideas EVERY TIME is beyond me...

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 10:48:42 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Just as Iwata said, next-generation graphics are only the PRICE OF ADMISSION...Which means that they WILL be there, no questions asked...Why people fall into these bogus ideas EVERY TIME is beyond me...

Because most people are IDIOTS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 12:13:15 PM »
"Try going back to before this current generation of consoles was released...Was there any confirmation that the GC would match the other systems? NEGATIVE...In fact, it sounded like the GC would be inferior to even the PS2...So much for that, eh?"

At least then we had some specs and screens.  We could see that it was better than the PS2 and although the specs were lower Nintendo confirmed that they were using honest specs.  With the Rev we have nothing but a "2 or 3 times as powerful" comment and a lot of dodging the question in interviews when hardware performance comes up.  Nintendo did confirm that the Cube was not underpowered, they just didn't do a very good job at it.  But it was something at least.  Plus you would hope that with the Cube constantly being considered the weakest hardware by the ignorant masses that Nintendo would learn that being honest and modest about hardware isn't that great of a strategy.

With the Cube the general public thought it was weak but at least those who took the time to learn the facts knew otherwise.  With the Rev Nintendo fans don't even know if the hardware is comparable and all Nintendo does when confronted with the issue is talk about how "hardware isn't that important" and stuff like that.  If the Rev is comparable to the other consoles in terms of hardware Nintendo is doing a fantastic job at making people think otherwise.

If you accuse someone of something damaging and they don't deny it then 99% of the time it's because they're guilty.  Otherwise they would instantly deny it.  Complete nutjobs are the only exceptions to this rule.  So either the Rev is underpowered or Nintendo has no concept of how reality works.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 04:09:16 PM »
I'd just wish everyone would stop speculating until the real specs/controller are released, specially you Ian. When it comes out then please by all means talk about it freely even if you don't like the consoles' specs/controller. It's wierd to me how someone can either diss or grace something not even out yet.

I'm ready for any flaming on me, so bring it on.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 04:19:12 PM »
So this person who wanted to change her hair color, she never did, instead she got a new style and added some blonde highlights.  Unfortunatley, her roots weren't highlighted well and I could really tell, plus she had all these split ends.  I think the stylist may have damaged her hair.  I felt bad for her, I knew she'd never have thick and lustrious hair like me, I use Head and Shoulders.

Caliban is the winner!
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 04:30:53 PM »
I use Head and Shoulders as well.  And thus, my hair has volume and bounce.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 05:57:22 PM »
My hair is braided so my stylist washes it with Paul Mitchell (coincidently the name of my brother) whenever I go and get it redone. My hair is nappy and forbidden to have bounce.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2005, 08:23:29 PM »
Speaking of Perrin, where/when was the "2-3x more powerful" comment retracted? I never saw that anyplace reliable.
"wow."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 08:49:26 PM »
It wasn't retracted, it was never issued. Apparently USA Today made it up.