Author Topic: Acclaim Up For Auction  (Read 2453 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Acclaim Up For Auction
« on: December 02, 2004, 07:47:24 PM »
At least they had a nice place to sit as they watched their debts pile up.

Acclaim, superstar videogame publisher of the late 80s and early 90s, is dead.  They filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy three months ago, and the auction that will help to raise some money to pay off their massive debt will take place next week.

Everything in the buliding will be auctioned off to the highest bidder, including production equipment, computers, electronics, warehouse supplies, company vehicles and anything else not bolted down.  Some of Acclaim's arcade cabinets and videogame carts and discs will also be sold off, wholesale.

Just in case you're interested in purchasing the entire office building located in lovely Glen Cove, NY, you can expect to pay $9.05 million to get a starting bid for the property.  That's not even 10% of what the entity formally known as Acclaim owes in debts, which is over $100 million in total.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Acclaim Up For Auction
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 09:49:30 PM »

Just in case you're interested in purchasing the entire office building located in lovely Glen Cove, NY, you can expect to pay $9.05 million to get a starting bid for the property. That's not even 10% of what the entity formally known as Acclaim owes in debts, which is over $100 million in total.

Of course, you'd have to outbid Exclaim, the new company supposedly founded by the former owners of Acclaim.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Acclaim Up For Auction
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 04:40:10 AM »
Wow!!  Maybe Acclaim would have been more profitable if it hadn't spent all of it's money on fancy office furnishings!

Of course, all those pictures probably represent a small percentage of the total office, but still, looks pretty swanky.

I personally hope Exclaim can resurrect Acclaim, minus all the crud it put out.  (Acclaim - crud = 0!!  HAHA LOLZ!!)  Seriously, they had some great games.  If Acclaim had survived, we'd all be playing Burnout 3 on our GameCubes.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 06:01:52 AM »
It'd be interesting if someone managed to get this who didn't care about Acclaim's old video game stuff... imangine the prototypes and such one could score from this...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 06:27:56 AM »
"imagine the prototypes and such one could score from this"

Wow.  Prototypes for crappy Acclaim games.  Big deal.

Hey everyone!  Check out this unfinished version of Total Recall for the NES I bought!  Oh wait that's the retail copy.  My bad.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 06:33:33 AM »
I wonder how I can get in on bidding on some office shiznazzle and arcade cabinets.

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 07:16:55 AM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
I wonder how I can get in on bidding on some office shiznazzle and arcade cabinets.

By being there?

Offline Chris1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 05:42:51 PM »
heh. That's like 10 minutes form my house. I'd go but I have school tomorrow. Also only $63 in my bank account.