Author Topic: RE: Resident Evil 4 Gets Huge Marketing Campaign  (Read 2145 times)

Offline NewsBot

• News Posting Robot
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Resident Evil 4 Gets Huge Marketing Campaign
« on: December 17, 2004, 02:27:23 PM »
Leon Kennedy will be making an appearance  in Times Square starting December 22nd.

CAPCOM UNVEILS NATIONAL MARKETING CAMPAIGN TO SUPPORT THE RELEASE OF RESIDENT EVILĀ®4 FOR THE NINTENDO GAMECUBEā„¢

Programs Raise Anticipation for Most Revolutionary Title to Date in Popular Resident Evil Series

SUNNYVALE, Calif. * December 17, 2004 * Capcom Entertainment, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced a national marketing campaign to support the upcoming release of Resident Evil* 4 for the Nintendo GameCubeā„¢.  This latest title from the world renowned Resident Evil series will be the first Capcom game to make its appearance at the world famous New York Times Square, where promotional spots are scheduled to run on the NASDAQ building's jumbo monitor.  The program will reach more than 20 million people during its scheduled run in the Christmas and New Year's time frame.  In conjunction with this, an extensive television marketing campaign, which begins on December 27 and runs throughout January, will generate more than 170 million consumer impressions.  Both these initiatives will support the overall marketing plan, which includes online programs, print and online advertising, as well as promotional and retail partnerships.

Based on the popular Resident Evil series, which has sold more than 24 million units worldwide, Resident Evil 4 sees the return of a familiar hero on a mission of the highest level.  Resident Evil 4 will carry an "M" rating for mature audiences by the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board).  Capcom plans to release Resident Evil 4 on January 11, 2005 throughout North America.

"A revolutionary title of this caliber deserves an equally significant marketing campaign," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom USA.  "With Capcom's debut in Times Square and the myriad other plans we have lined up, Resident Evil 4 will receive the most dynamic marketing campaign we have ever created."

This holiday season, Resident Evil 4 will take center stage at one of the most recognized and visible spots in the world, Times Square in New York City.  Half minute promotional spots featuring riveting footage from the game will be played approximately 50 times a day between December 22 and January 2.  The television ad campaign will consist of :30 and :15 second television spots aimed at the adult markets, ages 18 to 34 years old, and will appear on cable programming in the U.S. and Canada on networks such as SpikeTV, Comedy Central, ESPN, MTV, and G4techTV.  Further initiatives include a print campaign which features high profile ads that will run in major video game and men's lifestyle magazines including Electronic Gaming Monthly, Game Informer, GamePro, FHM and Rolling Stone just to name a few.

Online efforts include a dedicated Resident Evil 4 website, accessible via www.residentevil.com http://www.residentevil.com'>(http://www.residentevil.com), which features game information and downloadable content.  Visitors can also find tools to create their own Resident Evil 4 sites and Capcom will run a contest to reward the most visited "fan builder" sites with special edition U2 AppleĀ® iPodĀ®s.  Other promotional programs include sweepstakes with several online media and retailers with prizes including the game, strategy guide and much more.  National retail support will encompass programs such as pre-order and point of sale purchase campaigns at major retail outlets.

In Resident Evil 4 players are reacquainted with Leon S. Kennedy, Raccoon City Police Department's idealistic rookie cop from Resident Evil 2.  It has been six years since the destruction of Raccoon City and in that time, the U.S. government has been able to destroy the nefarious Umbrella Corporation.  Fast forward to 2004 and players rejoin Leon, who is now a U.S. agent with a top-secret mission.  He has been tasked to look into the abduction of the President's daughter and his investigation has led him to a mysterious location in Europe.  As Leon encounters unimaginable horrors, he must find out who or what is behind everything.

Capcom is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment. Founded in 1983, the company has created world renowned franchises including Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Breath of Fire, Devil May Cry and the Onimusha series. Headquartered in Osaka, Japan, the company maintains operations in the U.S., United Kingdom, Germany, Tokyo and Hong Kong. More information about Capcom and its products can be found on the company's web site at http://www.capcom.com'>www.capcom.com.

"Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto ..."

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 02:52:04 PM »
Now watch as the advertising campaigns say "available for Gamecube and Playstation 2".
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 03:01:19 PM »
Port to PS2 to pay for marketing campaign.  Great.  Umm.

what
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 03:43:48 PM »
I doubt they will mention the PS2 version in early advertising, it's at least one year away. If anything the game will be advertised now as only on GC and in a year as "available on GC and PS2", which in a way, is two advertising campaigns for the GC. Or something...

Anyway, good news, RE4 will rock the world. Highest selling game in January? Very possible!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 Gets Huge Marketing Campaign
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 04:28:44 PM »
I'll be waiting for the "HA HA, FOOLED YOU, THIS GAME GETS NAL ADVERTISING!" news now.

*one ten second ad at 3am later*
"WELL THAT WAS WORTH THE FIVE YEAR EXCLUSIVITY DEAL! NOW BACK TO MARIO PARTY 7!"

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 04:57:43 PM »
The PS2 version won't get mentioned in the advertising. It hasn't so far and I've seen plenty of magazine ads for it. None of them even hint at a PS2 version.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 05:18:00 PM »
"The PS2 version won't get mentioned in the advertising. It hasn't so far and I've seen plenty of magazine ads for it. None of them even hint at a PS2 version."

What, you think they'll blow a Times Square ad by advertising only half the product? I doubt it.

It could happen, and I'd very much like to be proven wrong, but Capcom's management has done nothing but give me reasons to be jaded recently.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 06:21:13 PM »
Even if they DID mention the PS2 version, it'd probably be in fine print, or "COMING SOON", or something.  Hopefully for Nintendo's sake everyone will actually notice the "AVAILABLE NOW for NINTENDO GAMECUBE".  It doesn't make sense to me to promote a game a year in advance.  Some movies do, but games?  You might read about a game on the Internet even two or three years before it actually comes out, but actual advertising that soon would certainly get lost on most people if they have to wait that long, and it's not likely that they'd continually advertise all year.

So I think it's not too unrealistic to think that the PS2 version won't be a major part of this campaign.  I could be wrong, too, though.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 07:39:37 PM »
The US website SUCKS.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 05:06:56 AM »
I think this is very good news.  This is exactly what nintendo should have done with Metroid Prime Echoes.  I seriously doubt the PS2 version will be mentioned, and will most likely be advertised "only for nintendo gamecube."  
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 11:17:41 AM »
I thought timed exclusive meant that they had to pubicly act like it was only out for the GCN until the contract was over.  It would definitely be breach of contract if they mentioned the PS2 version, right?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 09:11:06 AM »
If you look back at big selling timed exclusives (See Splinter Cell and the GTA series), they'll just re-advertise when the PS2 version comes out. It probably won't be as big, since good old word of mouth speaks for itself.

In my recent trips to the big 2 (Gamestop and Ebgames), RE4 seems to be the topic du jour. The savvy kids go on record saying they want 'Cubes just for this title. That and countless associates are begging me to reserve now; methinks we have a top seller for January.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa