Author Topic: Datel To Release Memory Cards Soon  (Read 2574 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Datel To Release Memory Cards Soon
« on: May 03, 2004, 03:51:25 PM »
Datel announces its own line of 128 Megabit memory cards, available this month!

DATEL ELECTRONICS ANNOUNCES HIGH-CAPACITY MAX MEMORY CARDS FOR XBOX AND GAMECUBE     Clearwater, FL  - May 03, 2004  - Datel Electronics, the world's leading developer and manufacturer of video game enhancement products, has announced the release of Max Memory for both the Xbox(tm) and GameCube(tm)    consoles.

With the release of Max Memory for Xbox and GameCube, Datel's flagship memory product is now available on all next-generation consoles. Max Memory for Xbox is a 16MB memory card, the largest Memory Card currently available for the Xbox. Max Memory for GameCube also boasts the most storage space available for the GameCube console, with 128 Megabits of storage and the capacity to store over 2000 blocks of game saves; over 32 times the storage capacity of the original GameCube memory card. Both of these cards eclipse all other memory cards in terms of size by offering twice the storage capacity of the largest cards currently available.  

In addition to providing massive storage space, Max Memory for GameCube will also come bundled with a GameCube readable bonus disc containing a large variety of game saves specially created by Datel's experienced in-house code hacking team for use with many of today's hottest GameCube games.  

"Datel is proud to be the innovator in large-capacity memory cards for the Xbox and GameCube consoles," says Doug Parsons, Managing Editor of Datel Design & Development, Inc. "Sports gamers will love the ability to store seasons worth of data for all their favorite games, and families will enjoy  the value of being able to store their entire library of saves on a single card."

Max Memory for GameCube and Xbox are fully plug and play compatible, requiring no software installation or pre-game disc swapping. Both cards also feature high-quality memory for guaranteed high speed and data security.

Both Max Memory for GameCube and Max Memory for Xbox will be available later this month with an MSRP of $29.99 each.  

::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Tuxedo.Bond

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Datel To Release Memory Cards Soon
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 04:34:11 PM »
That card is 16 megabytes, The same as Nintendo's is going to be I think, If I am correct then that would mean that there just compressing the data more to be able to hold twice as much as other 16 meg cards.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 04:41:06 PM »
I know that there were always problems with 3rd party memory cards
during the PS1 era, where they would lose the saves because
they used a different type of memory device.
Has there been any similar problems at all in this generation?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Datel To Release Memory Cards Soon
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 05:03:05 PM »
The main problems this gen have been with the memory cards overheating because people leave them in their Gamecube too long.........  and of course that causes bundles of touble like deleting files or not beeing able to save or load and whatnot.........
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline bubba23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 05:14:45 PM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
I know that there were always problems with 3rd party memory cards
during the PS1 era, where they would lose the saves because
they used a different type of memory device.
Has there been any similar problems at all in this generation?

Well I've been using the Interact Mega Memory 16X card for over a year and I've had no problems with it at all. It's nice to see there's going to be more manufacturers like Datel and Nintendo themselves releasing 1000 block or more memory cards, because for many of the more hardcore GC fans, 59 or 251 blocks just isn't enough.

Bubba 23

Atari 2600  - NES  - GB - Genesis - SNES - N64 - Dreamcast - PS2 - GBA SP - GC (with GBP)  - XBox - PC

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 06:12:19 PM »
Man, and to think I probably paid more on a 16x!
But come to think of it I probably would neve even need that much space.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 08:39:34 PM »
The original MC-59 (which they don't make anymore) was 4 megabits (1/2 of a megabyte). It would be "64 blocks", but it needs a 5-block index of some sort, in case you're trying to follow the math on these.

The MC-251 (really a 256, get it?) is 16 megabits (2 megabytes), which is four times as big.

The MC-1019 (coming out on June 7 for $29.99, according to Nintendo Power) appears to be four times as big again, which would make it 64 megabits (or 8 megabytes), which is the same size as the PS2's standard-since-launch 8MB card, which is currently $25, or two-for-$40.

This new Datel card appears to be twice as big as the MC-1019 (128 megabits, and claiming to store "over 2000" blocks).  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 02:52:31 AM »
Who in hell needs 2043 blocks if you can have only 128 files per card anyway?

Also, my 251 still isn't full, even with Harvest Moon.

Offline YenRug

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 01:36:56 AM »

Originally posted by: bubba23Well I've been using the Interact Mega Memory 16X card for over a year and I've had no problems with it at all. It's nice to see there's going to be more manufacturers like Datel and Nintendo themselves releasing 1000 block or more memory cards, because for many of the more hardcore GC fans, 59 or 251 blocks just isn't enough.

Just like to point out, the Interact Mega Memory 16X card was made by Datel in the first place.  I've been using one since they came out and I've never lost any files, it has the same capacity as the 1024 Memory Card that Nintendo are just about to release.  This new card is twice the size of the previous Mega Memory.

The reason most 3rd party memory cards fail is because they use smaller memory chips and compression routines to achieve their claimed capacity; Datel, on the other hand, always use full size memory chips without compression.  Quite simply, other 3rd party card makers are trying to screw you out of every penny they can make in profit, whereas Datel are commited to providing a reliable and reasonably priced product.  No, I don't work for Datel, I just know that they're someone you can rely on.