Author Topic: "A single game saved the GB (Pokemon), it could save the Wii U too” Iwata said  (Read 69088 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Well, we figured something like this might happen once Nintendo decided to essentially relaunch an upgraded GC, as that put them a generation behind. That was only reaffirmed by then launching an upgraded PS360 this gen, keeping them closer to last gen than competing in this gen. So the third party situation might never change if they are only seeking the latest and greatest despite rising production cost of chasing the newest tech.
On the other hand Nintendo mostly has themselves to blame.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
The best we could hope for is the gimmicky shovelware exclusives like we got on the Wii.
That's exactly what I was hoping for since what you consider trash were actually some of the most fun games on the system. The lower dev costs and "expanded audience" resulted in more companies releasing quirky games and seeing what stuck. Unfortunately, even if Wii U sales were to pick up, I don't think we'd see this stuff on the system because the cost of development is a lot higher and most companies can't take that risk.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
We can always hope for quirky titles and sequels to previous quirky titles on the eShop.

I'd love to see a few of those cult classics get a second chance.

Boom Blox and No More Heroes should get sequels.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
I really can't take the opinion seriously of anyone who casually throws out the term "shovelware" for any game he or she didn't like.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Once you filter out the"shovelware" the Wii had a solid library of titles. Plus is had Super Mario Galaxy so alls well that ends well.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
I really can't take the opinion seriously of anyone who casually throws out the term "shovelware" for any game he or she didn't like.

What you don't consider stuff like NinjaBread Man to be shovelware or all the crappy games based on kids' movies or Wii Sports knock-offs with intentionally similar packaging designed to trick people into thinking they're part of the same series?  If there was never any legitimate intent to make a decent game, if the whole goal was just to scam morons that don't know better then, yes, "shovelware" is a perfectly acceptable term.  I don't mean games I don't like, I mean half-baked games that were just hammered out in a hurry to get some sort of Wii product on the shelf while the "real" projects were made for the other consoles.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
Ah, okay. I thought you were saying something else. Sorry for misconstruing your post!  :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
The Wii U already gets those games.

Once you filter out the"shovelware" the Wii had a solid library of titles. Plus is had Super Mario Galaxy so alls well that ends well.
Isn't this true of all systems? Every system has junk games. The PS1 had over 7,000 games released for it, probably less than 5% of those were anything worthwhile.

most kids games are crap, but every once in a while they churn out a big hit. But um we are forgetting that kids games are made for kids, not us adults. What games did we play when we were kids? I played the **** out of Duck Tales, Chip n Dales, and Aladdin on Sega. Those were movie or cartoon tie ins aimed a children and they turned out to be great games, one of which just received a full HD remake. Hell Mario games are primarily kids games which might explain why some people lose interest when they get older. Also don't forget that kids do play video games too and they have lower expectations not to mention cheap, often clueless, parents.

Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
There some good kid games out there.  Then there are some good Kids games that don't realize they are kids game.  So they be perfect for my son but then they require a lot of reading.  Effectively making them not for kids anymore.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

There some good kid games out there.  Then there are some good Kids games that don't realize they are kids game.  So they be perfect for my son but then they require a lot of reading.  Effectively making them not for kids anymore.

so you stop being a kid as soon as you learn to read?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I think this idea there are few good kid games is bull.

It is a lie that gets spread because of a simple false pretext.  When a game is good and becomes popular it will not be defined as a kids game because adults don't want to play kids games.

Is Mario considered a kids game?  Not really.
Is Zelda considered a kids game?  Nope.
How about Mario Kart 8?  again Nope.
Pokemon?  Only by the ignorant.

3rd party games then. 
Is Skylanders considered only a kids game?  It even uses toys to sell more game.
Sonic?   Mega Man? 

Basically, think back to the games you played as kid.  Think about the games you enjoy playing now...and finally is there any overlap?  I bet there is definitely overlap.  Now look at the games you enjoy playing now, and look at the games today kids are playing.  Is there any overlap?  I bet you plenty. 

What is my point?  Games can't be cleanly defined by demographic, and once a game is good it tends to break any demographic molds that it may have been labeled by.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Some games clearly can be broken down by demographic, and I think those are the licensed games.  Where kids who are fans of certain shows would want to play the game based on the show without knowing that it might suck.'

I also feel like some games are designed to appeal to certain age groups even if they appeal to younger ones as well.  There's also a lot of indie games that play off of nostalgia for earlier generations of gaming, which doesn't work if you weren't born back then.  Nintendo games just kinda break that mold by being universally appealing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
I don't know if a single game can save the Wii U, but a complete lack of games (on the other consoles) may just do it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Yesterday while flipping through Discovery I saw my first Wii U commercial.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
That was the first time you saw a Wii U commercial? Do you watch TV around the holidays? I saw plenty of Wii U ads last Christmas, mostly for Super Mario 3D World, but also Wii Sports Club. I don't think I've seen one since then though, until last week when the Mario Kart VIII ones started. I've seen a lot of them for MKVIII as well, and at least 4 different ones, so it's nice to see that they are advertising it a lot. I hope it helps.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
That was the first time you saw a Wii U commercial? Do you watch TV around the holidays? I saw plenty of Wii U ads last Christmas, mostly for Super Mario 3D World, but also Wii Sports Club.

Work kept me MIA for most of the holiday season. Not much time for TV so I don't recall seeing those ads. It's still shocking because I saw so many Wii ads back in the day. I hope the commercial push continues because they need it.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV