Author Topic: IGA leaves Konami  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
IGA leaves Konami
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »
Looks like he finally got tired of being the overnight janitor.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/17/castlevania-producer-koji-igarashi-leaves-konami

Since he's making his own studio, I wonder if Nintendo would contact him to make a new 2D Metroid.  Good Feel is made of ex-Konami employees and Nintendo got them to make Wario Land and then they went on to make Epic Yarn.  Considering IGA has a lot of experience at making Metriod style games, and he's a well known Japanese developer so Nintendo would know about his talents, could make this a real possibility.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: IGA leaves Konami
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
I'd rather Wayforward Technologies have a crack at 2D Metroid. Nintendo should approach IGA and ask him to pitch a project to them.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
I hope he does a Might Number Nine style kickstarter

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
IGA working on Metroid would be a match made in heaven.  I wouldn't trust Sakamoto with that series anymore and you know IGA gets how to do the genre right.  It would be the like how Chrono Trigger combined the talents of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.  This would be the Chrono Trigger of this genre, a very literal "Metroidvania".

Nintendo is so NOT going to do this.  Dammit, it is just too cool of an idea for Nintendo to even be savy enough to pick up on.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
If you don't trust Sakamoto with Metroid, you should keep in mind that Konami didn't trust Igarashi with Castlevania anymore. IGA is also responsible for Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness, both of which hold similar notoriety with Castlevania fans as Other M does with Metroid fans.

As a fan of both series, I'd prefer if Igarashi not handle Metroid. I'm sure he could make a decent one then again, so can Sakamoto even if ridiculous Nintendo fans weirdly treat him like the town leper now. My concern with Igarashi taking over Metroid is that he got complacent with Castlevania to the point where he routinely reused sprites for previous games. After so many Metroidvania games, I wonder if he really has anything new to add to this style of game. He hasn't really tackled an original IP since Nano Breaker. Does anyone besides me even remember that game?

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:24:39 PM »
Hope he makes a new Metroid-style game with a fresh take on the genre.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »
He's probably going to work for a Japanese F2P app dev, considering that's what he was doing before Konami sent him on his way.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.