Author Topic: 3DS Hard Locks?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
3DS Hard Locks?
« on: December 20, 2012, 09:08:26 AM »
Am I the only one who's been getting several 3DS Hard Locks of late?  I'll wake my 3DS from sleep mode and it'll... not wake up.  I have to hold down the power button to reset it.

Perhaps I've been cursed by the gods and this is the price I pay in exchange for not having my Wii U lock up at all?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Hard Locks?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:28:09 AM »
Have you dropped your 3ds recently?

Mine vanilla 3DS never had anything, but i once dropped it on a concrete floor and it broke. It kinda sorta worked, but was slow to start and wifi didn't work. I fiddled around with it for a few days then i occasionally hit  it again on something.

It started to work fine :D

Or maybe it's your SD card, try removing it and switching wifi off. Check if it will boot up faster that way.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:33:58 AM »
I would NEVER drop my poor 3DS!  What a horrible thing to do! :D

It's not a booting issue - short of these recent hard locks, I NEVER turn my 3DS off.  Don't want to miss any Street Passes!  Charge it every night and play every day. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:02:58 AM »
What generation of 3ds do you have?  The first ones had an hinge problem that was later fixed, most likely you're having issues because the hinge is loose.

You can send it to nintendo (should be free even if not under warranty, nintendo's pretty good about it since it was THEIR manufacturing defect) or you can try fixing it yourself.  My old DS had a similar issue and all I do to fix it was used a thin piece of plastic.and place right above the tab so when you open the system that plastic piece presses down on it causing the system to wake. 

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
UncleBob, I have been having this exact same problem and, like you, it has only been recent (last couple of months). I am on my second launch 3DS. Nintendo shipped me a replacement after the first one mysteriously bricked after about 8 months.
I have always suspected they shipped me a refurbished one anyway.

My system gets jostled a fair amount as I carry it every day either in my coat pocket or in my backpack. But I have not dropped it. It is supposed to get moved around, though, right? All that counting of steps and whatnot?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
I think has happened to me twice since launch, so not so bad.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ozz236

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »
I've had this happen to me a few times. I have the Zelda LE 3ds, and I'm not sure if that's one of the launch models or not. I just assumed it was a random glitch with the 3DS.
3DS Friend Code: 3222-5910-4302

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
This has also happened to me a few times. It's annoying when it happens, but it doesn't occur with anywhere near enough frequency to really bother me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »
My system has never locked up before, however I don't use sleep mode much. The only time I use it is when I'm accumulating steps, though I do it from the menu so no games are suspended or anything.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »
Yeah, I basically never turn my 3DS off, so whenever I'm not playing it's in sleep mode.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
This happened to me a few months back. Swapped out the system and it's been smooth sailing since.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 02:31:36 AM »
My 3DS randomly switches off sometimes when I close it or press the START button. It's 100% annoying.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).