Author Topic: Anyone with [u]EXPERTISE[u\]???  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Anyone with [u]EXPERTISE[u\]???
« on: May 21, 2003, 09:54:00 AM »
Anybody know about AGP and PCI Expansion ports.  I have an Emachine 900mhz Celeron.  I need to install my newly acquired graphics accelerator, but its an AGP card.  There are two pci slots and a third that says pci but nothings there.  My question is can I add a AGP card to that empty slot or can I take the Other pci out and add an APG expansion slot.  If so where can I get it from.  I dont want to buy a whole new motherboard just to have the slot.  Help me out if.

How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Anyone with EXPERTISE???
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 10:17:13 AM »
The AGP slot should be a brown color (usually), and isn't quite parallel with the white PCI slots.  NO, you can not just "replace" a slot, or put an AGP card in a PCI slot.  It sounds like your eMachine just doesn't have AGP, which was a pretty standard way to cut costs on those machines.  Sorry.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
Anyone with EXPERTISE???
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 11:59:57 AM »
Darn!  Thanks for the help.  So Ill have to buy another graphics thats pci compatible then.  I figured that, I just didnt want to give up on my new geforce3 ti500.  Oh well.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Praxius

• View Profile
Anyone with EXPERTISE???
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 03:14:55 AM »
Well, I'd hang onto the Vid Card. You can pick up some decent motherboards with AGP Support for around $120 + and they'll last you a while, with upgrad capabilities and such. You will notice, however, most Video Cards now a days are all AGP. You might not have the option (Depending where you live) to get a PC Card. And in my opinion, it's worth the extra money.
*Exit The Prax*

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Anyone with EXPERTISE???
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 01:10:10 PM »
emachines are complete crap... I have had experience with them before.

If you don't have an AGP slot, the best you can hope for might be a GeForce2 MX.  They are pretty rare in PCI though, so best of luck to ya in finding one.  The video card is nice though, so I really would hold on to it in case you decided to get a new computer later on.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean