Author Topic: Hard Questions for Nintendo  (Read 16224 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Questions for Nintendo
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 06:57:44 PM »
Monster Hunter 4 says you're full of ****, Andy. :P:

I think we need a little "right analog stick" wager for 3DS Mark II.

I am firmly convinced it won't happen.  If Nintendo had pushed the CPP to every retailer for $10, and bundled it with MGS and RE:R, then I would be convinced.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »
When I bought a new Wii because my launch unit went kaput, the NOA representative told me they could not transfer my downloaded software to the new system.
They did this for me, were you not nice enough or something?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 07:14:33 PM »
As I understand it, it's not their policy, but some representatives have made exceptions.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 07:18:19 PM »
When I lost my old Wii thanks to someone I thought I could trust, I told the Nintendo rep the system was stolen (in a way it kind of was), they had me send them a copy of the police report and I was able to re-download all of my Virtual Console and WiiWare games for free. Apparently the person who had my Wii had bought "Aha! I Found It!" Hidden Object Game because that was available to re-download too and I never bought it. LOL
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »
That's what I call a solid "win".

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »
As someone who has interviewed gaming people, including some people at Nintendo, I can say that most of the reason why you don't see these questions asked is because they're not answered. It's a unfortunate reality of the PR-driven games industry (and just the world in general).

It doesn't mean the questions shouldn't be asked anyway and that is where it starts. Maybe in America you have collectively given up on asking the "Hard questions", it doesn't mean the rest of the world has. We are in the middle of the process in tossing out an MP for declaring a "Donation" as anonymous with a potential change of government on one of the many cards. It is the complacency that you have exhibited that allow them not to answer. Other countries might ask, but they can always run to the safe harbour you maintain. If they don't answer, you dig, find sources willing to speak, even anonymously. Call BS when you see it. If shame and PR disasters is the only thing they will listen to, use it.

The relation right now is it is all carrot and no stick. Get a stick.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2012, 07:29:53 PM »
Monster Hunter 4 says you're full of ****, Andy. :P: : :

I am firmly convinced it won't happen.  If Nintendo had pushed the CPP to every retailer for $10, and bundled it with MGS and RE:R, then I would be convinced.

Nintendo, at least in America, sent the thing out to die. I get the impression they don't want it to be a major thing, and they only did it to get Capcom to give them Monster Hunter. Unless Capcom badgers them about it, I don't see Nintendo putting it in the revision.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2012, 09:32:36 PM »
As someone who has interviewed gaming people, including some people at Nintendo, I can say that most of the reason why you don't see these questions asked is because they're not answered. It's a unfortunate reality of the PR-driven games industry (and just the world in general).

It doesn't mean the questions shouldn't be asked anyway and that is where it starts. Maybe in America you have collectively given up on asking the "Hard questions", it doesn't mean the rest of the world has. We are in the middle of the process in tossing out an MP for declaring a "Donation" as anonymous with a potential change of government on one of the many cards. It is the complacency that you have exhibited that allow them not to answer. Other countries might ask, but they can always run to the safe harbour you maintain. If they don't answer, you dig, find sources willing to speak, even anonymously. Call BS when you see it. If shame and PR disasters is the only thing they will listen to, use it.

The relation right now is it is all carrot and no stick. Get a stick.
Here in America we have tyranical <This part was never finished because the Politics censor has been enabled>
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »
Well, I'm glad this article has gotten such a strong response. I don't think the factual statements are that off, but I certainly included plenty of personal vendetta in here. Keep in mind this is basically my Dream Interrogation script, but if I were actually in a room with Reggie, I'd probably be begging him to be my Best Friend, then ask these same questions in less aggressive ways.

Ultimately, as many people have pointed out, questions like this DO need to be asked, and it's a crime that nobody has the goddamn balls to do it, or at least do, and when given a stock evasive answer, respond with "that's not an answer." Then lock the door before Reggie or Iwata can leave.

The other unfortunate truth is that "game journalism" really is a branch of the industry's marketing and PR. Both sides have learned to accept that. Neal and Andy and I were having a long converation about this on Twitter, and I wonder what would rattle that relationship apart. Why can't game journalists be game JOURNALISTS, and the industry muster up some responsibility? It's all hype now. It's all controlled content. It's politics.

I wish it were different, I really do. I guess my goal would be for 1) somebody to ask hard questions like this (of everybody); and 2) for the interviewee to be frank and honest in answering. And then, world peace.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
If somebody decided to get in there and ask hard-hitting questions, the PR people would be less-inclined to help them out, and their sites would suffer for it. For it to have any chance of being successful it would have to be a concerted effort on the part of just about everyone in the business.

It really sucks that IGN is the way it is in terms of journalistic integrity, or lack thereof, because someone like them is big enough to actually do this without getting pushed around for it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 10:06:39 PM »
I can fill in to ask these questions for NWR. I'm expendable. ;)

Offline ROiDS

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
DSi Camera was a function that was used by a HANDFUL of games, most of which were download only. 
Gameboy Color came out many years after the original Gameboy.
The backlight didn't make any new games incompatible with the original GBA.

A right analog stick is another deal entirely - it's an industry standard feature on console controllers, and would fundamentally change the way developers view the system.  If we think it's unfair of Konami to make a MGS game that essentially requires the user to have the CPP, that kind of them would completely explode after a revision which included a right stick.  Basically, you would absolutely HAVE to get the CPP or a new 3DS for a large chunk of software which was developed after the new model. 

I'm not saying it *won't* happen absolutely, but I am saying that I think it's unlikely, and that's my reason why.

It's possible, but not unlikely because that sort of thing happened before. It's true that the Gameboy Color released later, but you still can't deny that the original Gameboy cannot play Gameboy Color games. The PS1 is also the same when the Dual-Shock came out and some new games needed it; yet, the system sold well. Like I said before, if the 3DS' upgrade indeed does comes out --not now-- it should at least have the second slide pad already built in. And whose company is insane enough to not make the second slide pad an option? They're shooting themselves on the foot by only selling the game on the people who have the, definitely possible, new 3DS with the second slide pad and those who have the CPP.
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 10:14:34 PM »
The Game Boy Color was a new system, so I don't even know why that would be brought up. It's like complaining that the GameCube can't play Wii games.

Why would the Circle Pad Pro be included in a 3DS revision? No game requires it, and only a handful of games even support it. I don't see it being included unless games start coming out that require it to even be played.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ROiDS

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »
Well, I'm glad this article has gotten such a strong response. I don't think the factual statements are that off, but I certainly included plenty of personal vendetta in here. Keep in mind this is basically my Dream Interrogation script, but if I were actually in a room with Reggie, I'd probably be begging him to be my Best Friend, then ask these same questions in less aggressive ways.

Ultimately, as many people have pointed out, questions like this DO need to be asked, and it's a crime that nobody has the goddamn balls to do it, or at least do, and when given a stock evasive answer, respond with "that's not an answer." Then lock the door before Reggie or Iwata can leave.

The other unfortunate truth is that "game journalism" really is a branch of the industry's marketing and PR. Both sides have learned to accept that. Neal and Andy and I were having a long converation about this on Twitter, and I wonder what would rattle that relationship apart. Why can't game journalists be game JOURNALISTS, and the industry muster up some responsibility? It's all hype now. It's all controlled content. It's politics.

I wish it were different, I really do. I guess my goal would be for 1) somebody to ask hard questions like this (of everybody); and 2) for the interviewee to be frank and honest in answering. And then, world peace.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000(x10000000000000000000)
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline Hyawatta

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Shadow Site
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
There is a difference between being tied to your system and being tied to your account.

With the Wii U, we will have user accounts on the Nintendo Network. Will we then be able to play a game like Super Mario Bros., which is available on both the Wii and the 3DS Virtual Consoles, on both the Wii U and the 3DS after making only a single purchase? Currently, we must use a system transfer in order to play digital games on a different system. Will the system transfer process be changed so that it can be handled by the accounts system instead solely through SD cards?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 12:02:04 AM »

Bam, I win.