Author Topic: Metroid: Other M Review  (Read 15543 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid: Other M Review
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2010, 04:27:38 AM »
Played the game for about 3 hrs and so far I am having trouble seeing why it isn't a metroid a game. It is a ton of fun to play and feels like Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion in 3D. The controls work just fine since the game tends to allow little 3D movement and what is there works fine. My only real gripe is that the 1st person view gets in the way when it comes to how the game flows, but it is a minor complaint since I can work around it.

The story is not horrendous, it is pretty much on par with most next-generation sci-fi games. Voice acting is adequate, not great, not terrible, just adequate. Probably the worse part is the clunky dialogue in places. Beyond that the story is fine, and I have yet to see anything majorly wrong with how they present Samus. It is pretty much cliche but that doesn't mean it is bad.

Seriously though the game is so much fun, and I love exploring the beautifully designed worlds and fighting in the engaging battles along with classic Metroid Puzzle solving. Also That bunny monster thing is so dang cute, I grinned so much when it first appeared.

One other problem I have with the game is what Johnny mentioned, having to find some obscure thing when you are forced to look around in FPS view. Beyond that, fantastic game so far and I can't wait to play it some more. Have to say I'm enjoying it more then the MP games though I also still believe the MP games are higher quality.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:32:53 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »

quick question,   Other M takes place after Super Metroid, so do the prime games take place before super metroid?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:01:12 PM by BwrJim! »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2010, 12:18:24 PM »
I cant agree with you more on that censored part. I just got past that not too long ago.  now im stuck in an area with big dino looking things that poop bombs.  Not sure what to do yet.  so I am currently looking around in fp mode to see what I may of missed.

quick question,   Other M takes place after Super Metroid, so do the prime games take place before super metroid?

All the Prime games take place between the original Metroid (Zero Mission, really) and Metroid 2, both of which take place before Super Metroid.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2010, 12:18:46 PM »

Here is the timeline:

*Metroid/Metroid: Zero Mission
*Metroid Prime/Metroid Prime Pinball
*Metroid Prime Hunters
*Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
*Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
*Metroid II: Return of Samus
*Super Metroid
*Metroid: Other M
*Metroid Fusion
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2010, 06:59:48 PM »
Thanks, although i never knew pinball was part of it.   there was a story?   

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »
Sort of. It just retells the events of the first game in pinball form.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Hyrulian Guard

• Account closed by request
  • Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2010, 07:50:42 AM »
I am pleasently suprised at how much fun this game is. Yea i liked the other 2D games, but they are hard a hickory nuts.  Maybe thats it, its challenging to me but allows for progression.

anyway, my vote is, DONT MISS THIS GAME!

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »
I'm about an hour in and I really don't mind the voice acting. It's not good, but none of the quotes (excepting "Confession time") are nearly as bad in context.

The only real problems are the pixel hunting parts and the upgrade system, they could have made it better by simply saying Samus' communication was jammed just like the other soldiers, so you can only get upgrades at save points, where the communication works. Then finding the save point takes the place of finding the item.

Offline Hyrulian Guard

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »
Possible spoiler folloing.  WARNING maybe]

The lava boss, kicked my A$$ about 5 times before i beat him. the Charging thing killed me
 a couple times as it when to morph ball instead of charging.
 but the real rediculous part is Samus waiting for authorization to use available suit abilities
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:28:49 PM by Hyrulian Guard »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2010, 08:29:10 PM »
Possible spoiler folloing.  WARNING maybe Dont know how to blk out text

[ spoiler ] starts it, [ /spoiler ] ends it. (Take out the spaces.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Hyrulian Guard

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
Thanks

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2010, 10:50:17 AM »
Yeah, Malstrom is going crazy with his rants on Other M. Well, not on Other M but how he acts like Metroid 1 was so much better or hardcore than Super Metroid. I just played Metroid 1, it's piss easy once you get the screw attack. His talk about scary enemies is complete nonsense, especially about the bosses. Ridley isn't even remotely scary.

It is a ton of fun to play and feels like Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion in 3D.

That's a contradiction to me, it can either be like Super Metroid or like Metroid Fusion. If you consider them the same then you cannot see the elements that are crucial to me.

classic Metroid Puzzle solving.

Classic Metroid didn't have puzzle solving at all so how can there be classic Metroid puzzle solving? Classic Metroid didn't even have puzzle boss fights, everything was fought and killed by shoving missiles down its throat until it explodes. In fact I really miss that, it made missiles much more useful.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2010, 03:52:42 PM »
She might mean puzzles like "how do I get that item?" There's some of that in Other M, but not to the extent of Super Metroid or the Prime games.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Bboy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »
Wow, just having got to the point where you get the screw attack (I actually yelled, "**** yeah!" when she said, "Any objections, Adam?"), I find that I disagree completely with all the criticism around this game. I realize the faults, but none of them have really bothered me or hindered my experience. I find the controls work well enough once you're used to them, and that the story actually is good for a video game, even if it wouldn't make it without a good game to get me invested in it. There is very good stuff there, the twist with Ridley was pretty awesome, as well as the foreshadowing about the existence of Metroids, by using the enemies remains from Super Metroid was pretty awesome. I feel like the localization screwed up, but by accepting that it's not great acting and dialogue, I am actually invested in the story. I was legitimately sad when Anthony died. In the same way, accepting that I'm unable to explore all these places until after the end of the game, means I can just enjoy the ride.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2010, 11:18:31 AM »
By the way, the only way into and out of lower Norfair in Super Metroid requires a deep dip into lava. Hot enough to destroy any organic substances.

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2010, 12:37:24 PM »
I basically agree with everything GoldenPhoenix says.  The game feels like a Metroid game.  I had a lot of fun with it and my only real issues were with the pixel hunts and was somewhat disappointed with the subdued music.  Although it was orchestrated.

Offline zachs1997

• Mr. Yuk Is Mean! Mr. Yuk is Green!
  • Score: -47
    • View Profile
    • zachworlds
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »
I am glad you liked it zach  ;D
If I had a dollar for ever time I have heard that. Because a dollar is worth more than a nickle.
Zachworlds.enjin.com

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
I've rented it from GameFly and while I have enjoyed the three or so hours I've played, I found that I couldn't get into the mood to start playing again. Seems that I had to nearly force myself to do so. Perhaps it's my mind telling me that this is what the game mostly is.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 10:04:24 PM »
To be fair, I found 30-odd Missile Tanks during the story mode. In the post-game, I've found 30-odd more.

But why are you collecting them? To fight more difficult enemies and bosses, or just for the pure catch 'em all mentality of it?

Hunting for powerups would seem like more fun if there was some reason to power up. Unless the platforming to get to them is challenging and exciting in itself, I can't collect for collection's sake/

To add insult to injury on this, you can't even properly use missiles on the bonus boss.  The use of missiles in the game is just broken period though.

I think this review does an accurate job of describing the experience.  The story is all over the place, vertigo is being kind.  So many things are forced they don't develop any story line and a lot of things just don't make sense.  For example, one of my biggest complaints is during the    Ridley boss battle.  What is with the trauma?  Why the flash to a little girl?  What is that all about? The sobbing and sudden turning into a 'damsel in distress'?  Why?!  Is Ridley like the Joker in Batman?  Did he murder Samus' parents when she was a kid?  Explain movie, explain!! The suit vanishing?  I'll even forgive the technical impossibilities of forming matter from nothing, but is his tail dipped in some sort of paint thiner?  I'm willing to accept some sort of answer.... Just Explain!  The supporting cast does a much better job even delivering the lines.  I think they tried to get a solitary feel by making all of Samus' lines monotone, but it didn't work.

What is amazing though, is the expressions of the characters in the cut scenes, particularly of Samus.  Typically to me, facial expressions in CGI are usually to subtle, to plastic, or exaggerated for effect.  They seem to hit it spot on middle.  The studio in charge of animation had to be working overtime.  Maybe that's the problem.  They blew the budget on animation. :)

They certainly didn't spend any budget on Sector 0 .  Talk about a disappointing buildup!  I would have enjoyed venturing into something like that game, thanks.

Edit: Magically appearing font and size tags
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:09:25 PM by Shecky »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
The suit vanishing?  I'll even forgive the technical impossibilities of forming matter from nothing,

[Nerd]Well, this is set in a more technologically advanced universe than ours is (its the future, right?). And as far as matter forming from nothing, have you ever seen Star Trek TNG or later? The replicators on that show do that on a regular basis, except it isn't really forming matter from "nothing" but rather rearranging existing matter. Even right now science can convert one element into another using colliders and crap like that, but its expensive and it can only be done a few atoms at a time so its not really practical, but this is the future so who knows what might be possible?

I suspect Samus' Zero Suit is more than just revealing lycra. There is probably some advanced technology in there, like maybe nano-robots or something that can create her armor suit maybe by using just the matter in the air around her. Who really knows? But you can't say its "technically impossible" because we really don't know what sort of technology will exist in the future.

ETA: Nano-Robots can also explain how she is able to "heal" and generate new missiles by turning the wiimote upwards. She isn't really getting new missiles from nothing, the nano-robots are building those missiles. They're like Keebler Elves, you know...[/Nerd]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:36:46 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
I guess what I was trying to get at though is that they don't need to go to great lengths explaining how the suit works.  In the realm of science fiction, you can usually formulate some sort of plausible hand waving to make certain things work, whether it be teleporation, replicators, etc....

What they did need to explain, is why the suit seems to have sudden 'inconvenient' breakdowns.  I'm being somewhat rhetorical, as I know what the answer is.... they were doing it just to attempt to add drama to the scenes.  However, after absorbing lord knows how many hits only to be incapacitated by a single shot (and don't claim it's because she didn't see it coming... there are plenty of hits I absorbed that I didn't see coming when trying to use missiles! ;) ) you get a huge inconsistency and a feeling that they're just making this up as they go.

Edit: What is up with these font and size tags??
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:57:48 AM by Shecky »