Author Topic: Perfect Dark XBLA  (Read 26749 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Dark XBLA
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »
The best setup is laptop guns in the first slot and the Farsight in the last one, so there's only one of them. Grab the Farsight, find a somewhat secluded spot with only one way in, set up a laptop gun turret to protect that entrance, and start picking off people through the walls with the Farsight. Really takes me back.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »
I always hated how the farsight would try to lock on to someone, it would almost always mess up my aiming.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »
I always hated how the farsight would try to lock on to someone, it would almost always mess up my aiming.
The follow lock-on was the secondary setting, you didn't have to use it.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »
The follow lock-on was the secondary setting, you didn't have to use it.

really? I felt like it was just always 'on'. It's been a long time however.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2010, 11:02:55 PM »
Could the Conduit be considered the Perfect Drak for the wii? It is a real let down that this remastered version of Perfect Dark will never come to the wiiware service as a rebirth titile(we have beaten this topic to death). :'(  But I do have it on my N64, but I willnever try this new version because I loath Xbox and Microsoft as part of the gaming universe.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »
Yeah, you can manually zoom in/out with the farsight, and can do it faster than the autolock but you have to be very good at it. So far I've found the best option is to use a combination of both by ballpark aiming at the target and seeking to deal with the zoom in/out. You can actually blind fire it without using the scope and the shot will still travel through every wall - handy for corner firing and all that.

Could the Conduit be considered the Perfect Drak for the wii? It is a real let down that this remastered version of Perfect Dark will never come to the wiiware service as a rebirth titile(we have beaten this topic to death). :'(  But I do have it on my N64, but I willnever try this new version because I loath Xbox and Microsoft as part of the gaming universe.

good on you. hope you don't missing out on about 50% of games being made. lol.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
That's how I've been doing it, using the radar to find a general direction to aim in and then using the lock-on and finally manually aiming while in the lock-on to finish the job.

J.P. Corbran

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2010, 06:21:40 AM »
me and some bros are having nightly games of random weapons+stage matches. Get in touch with me if anybody wants in on some no-autoaim rad matches!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »
Have the bots in this game always been this cheap? I've been playing the challenges, an I was rolling through them pretty easily until I hit 11, which I can't seem to beat. The bot in that one seems to always have a shield and can take me down really quickly.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »
What difficulty is the bot on? I remember that Hard and above could be pretty cheap at times, with exceptionally high accuracy. I know that they seek out the shield item if it is available as soon as they can, and also if it isn't at full energy. They might also spawn with a shield, though I'm not sure about that one.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2010, 06:50:17 PM »
It's a BlondeSim. I don't remember what that means; apparently it means he always has a shield and somehow his weapons are more powerful than mine. I've managed to come close to beating him by relying on the secondary feature of my bare hands, disarm. I keep hitting him with that until he doesn't have any more guns, and then I'm able to kill him. Still, more than half the time he kills me before I can get to him. It's a King of the Hill match, and I'm pretty sure it's timed. I've lost by one point a couple times.

I played with a friend of mine last night on a team against 3 NormalSims; we're both fairly experienced in first-person shooters, him especially. We got demolished.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
In the Challenge mode, the sim names are based on their characters (so a ShockSim is the Shock Trooper, a BlondeSim is Mr. Blonde, etc.). You can check what difficulty they are on after you play a challenge; the options will be whatever the ruleset is for the challenge, so you can go to the Simulants menu to check what difficulty it is.

The CPU tend to pick tall characters if it's their choice. Tall characters move faster, and I would not be surprised if they get move headshots on you because of the extra height. You've got to remember that this is the Nintendo 64 we're talking about, so the A.I. script is pretty simplistic, assuming they didn't change anything for this release. The A.I. doesn't really account for what would be human error, so on any difficulty setting they have pretty good accuracy. Their accuracy also doesn't seem to decrease at long range. The easier sims account for this by pausing before they fire, as well as moving slowly. They also don't look for traps, so explosives are a good way to handle them because they will walk right into them. Their movement patterns are simple, they will either stand in place firing at you, or move along their paths through the level if they are going for a shield/weapon. Knowing their behavior is really the only way to beat them.

I could never beat anything better than a NormalSim myself. I had to beat the challenges with 3 other players who were actually good.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:05:30 PM by Mop it up »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2010, 07:15:12 PM »
I turned off auto-aim for myself, but I guess there's no way to stop the bots from using it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
I don't think what the bots use could be considered auto-aim. I think it has to do with their script, they always face their target so their gun is always aimed at them, therefore they don't miss very often. Don't use the golden magnum weapon, they will make you cry...

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2010, 04:10:47 AM »
Have the bots in this game always been this cheap? I've been playing the challenges, an I was rolling through them pretty easily until I hit 11, which I can't seem to beat. The bot in that one seems to always have a shield and can take me down really quickly.

Are you still stuck on this one? Although I'm going to troll you about how easy this is and how bad you are at perfect dark, I'll also leave you with a protip: if you shoot the AI guy with the tranq, they just turn about randomly and can't really shoot anything.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2010, 02:29:11 AM »
I'm already aware of how bad I am at Perfect Dark; being eliminated in the first round of the PAX Perfect Dark tournament made that perfectly clear. I haven't beaten the challenge yet, but I don't think I've tried since I posted about it. I tried using the tranquilizer in the past and it didn't seem to work; I guess I'll give that another shot.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »
Thank god, Rare is finally going to patch this to include Legacy and Southpaw controls. Just a few more weeks and I can finally get back into this one.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »
What layout does the Legacy controls have?
A patch for fully-customizable controls would be what the game needs. Or a patch that allows the Wiimote, but that'd probably cause some issues somewhere...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
Are they going to patch it to remove auto-aim in random matches?

J.P. Corbran

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
Are they going to patch it to remove auto-aim in random matches?

Yeah, they're going to have "hardcore" playlists for free for all and team; no autoaim and no radar. Which is rad because that is exactly how I prefer to play!

Autoaim playlists will still be available.

Rare's twitter is a good place to stay up to date on it: http://twitter.com/rareltd
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:50:16 PM by S-U-P-E-R »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2010, 02:00:19 AM »

Are you still stuck on this one? Although I'm going to troll you about how easy this is and how bad you are at perfect dark, I'll also leave you with a protip: if you shoot the AI guy with the tranq, they just turn about randomly and can't really shoot anything.

I finally got around to trying this again and obliterated the sim, 10-1. Thanks again for the tip.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2010, 01:00:22 PM »
I haven't been able to play this for the past two weeks because I keep leaving my 360 hard drive at my friend's house! ARGH
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
Me and some chat pals still play this a lot, anybody want in in our games? Hit me up on AIM or something!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2010, 02:12:02 AM »
Has anyone ever tried to actually strafe themselves? It's difficult! You most certainly can't run faster when going sideways...

But yeah, that would be exactly why I like past shooters and not modern ones.

It's supposed to represent running with your legs facing the direction you're going while you turn your upper body towards where you want to shoot. Of course going backwards is still not very feasible if you don't want to hit your head on the next wall.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: links for you
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2010, 06:55:22 AM »
hello friends check out my this links.

This is my new favorite bot line.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467