Author Topic: Lucasarts to bring backcatalog of P&C Adventure Games to Steam  (Read 9643 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Lucasarts to bring backcatalog of P&C Adventure Games to Steam
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »
Steam just put up the first wave of Lucasarts releases.  Fate of Atlantis for only $4.99, in perfect working order on Windows XP?!  I am so ****ing buying that now, instead of $49.99 (plus tax) for the Indiana Jones Wii game (w/ Fate of Atltantis).  Hell, I might get the Last Crusade game as well at that price, since I thought I'd be paying $10 for Fate of Atlantis anyway.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:05:41 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »
Steam just put up the first wave of Lucasarts releases.  Fate of Atlantis for only $4.99, in perfect working order on Windows XP?!  I am so ****ing buying that now, instead of $49.99 (plus tax) for the Indiana Jones Wii game (w/ Fate of Atltantis).  Hell, I might get the Last Crusade game as well at that price, since I thought I'd be paying $10 for Fate of Atlantis anyway.

Yes great prices! I may even get Republic Commando for $10.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 03:58:47 PM »

I could do without seemingly having to have Steam open to play it, though.  But ah...Fate of Atlantis.  I haven't played this game in over 15 years, and it still holds up quite nicely.  Bliss...I just got to my favorite part of the game, where you have to choose what path you'll take through the game (and they ARE quite different).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »

I could do without seemingly having to have Steam open to play it, though.  But ah...Fate of Atlantis.  I haven't played this game in over 15 years, and it still holds up quite nicely.  Bliss...I just got to my favorite part of the game, where you have to choose what path you'll take through the game (and they ARE quite different).

I actually have never played it, so it should be interesting!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 05:10:05 PM »

You know, I always chose the same path because I thought it was the only way to get the girl to come with you to help. I'll have to try one of the other paths this time.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 05:17:45 PM »
Bah, I've gotten stuck in the same part I always got stuck before: the stupid part where you have to use the Surveyor's scope to triangulate the spot where a key item is buried on Crete (I'm on the "Team" path).  This is pure pixel-hunting, as I know exactly what the game wants me to do but have no idea how it wants me to do it.

EDIT: Finally got past it, but man they force you to do something somewhat counter-intuitive to solve it.

Incidentally, Stratos, if you're going to try a new path I highly recommend the "Wits" path.  Let's just say you have a rather amusing and very Indiana Jones way of getting to Crete on that path.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 06:13:43 PM by broodwars »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 07:35:54 PM »
Ok I bought 3 games, The Dig (heard it is quite good), Fate of Atlantis and Republic Commando. For $20 that is pretty good! Still $30 cheaper then buying a crappy IJ game for Wii with Atlantis.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
Just purchased Fate of Atlantis.  :)

Let me know if The Dig is any good. 
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
It's finally over.  It's been bugging me for 15 years that I never beat Fate of Atlantis, but now I have (on the "Team" track).  Sheesh, Atlantis was an obnoxious final area with lots of backtracking (especially if you forgot to always retrive your items after using them).  And then I had to backtrack through a series of "maze doors" because I forgot to retrieve Sophia before entering the final puzzle.  Oh well, still an awesome game and much true-er to the Indiana Jones name than that...thing...Lucas put out last year.

Man, that game was a lot shorter than I remembered it being.  True, I remembered the solutions to most of the puzzles from all those hours playing it years ago, but for a "full" Adventure game from the heyday of the genre...it's not that much longer than your typical Telltalegames episode.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2009, 03:17:11 AM »
It's finally over.  It's been bugging me for 15 years that I never beat Fate of Atlantis, but now I have (on the "Team" track).  Sheesh, Atlantis was an obnoxious final area with lots of backtracking (especially if you forgot to always retrive your items after using them).  And then I had to backtrack through a series of "maze doors" because I forgot to retrieve Sophia before entering the final puzzle.  Oh well, still an awesome game and much true-er to the Indiana Jones name than that...thing...Lucas put out last year.

Man, that game was a lot shorter than I remembered it being.  True, I remembered the solutions to most of the puzzles from all those hours playing it years ago, but for a "full" Adventure game from the heyday of the genre...it's not that much longer than your typical Telltalegames episode.

Are you a fan of Telltale Games?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 09:54:49 AM »

Are you a fan of Telltale Games?

Yeah, I own both seasons of Sam & Max on PC and I've already purchased this first "season" of Tales of Monkey Island.  I've also played the first 2 episodes of Wallace & Grommit, and I liked them despite not previously really caring for the license.  I tried to like Strongbad, but it's just not my thing.  I like their games, but the writing can be a bit spotty at times and it's taken them a long time to get their puzzles where they need to be (though I'd always appreciate them getting harder and more complex).  They're also not the most technically-gifted people, as despite their low-poly games my computer tends to have issues playing their games and they have a LOT of issues launching games.  Their Monkey Island launch the other day was a real mess, with notification E-mails not being sent out; the site being down all day; and they barely got the game out on its release date (I wasn't able to download it till 9 PM EST that day).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »
I really haven't had any problems launching their games, had a couple weird audio problems once in a strong bad game but it worked fine after I restarted the game. Their writing is pretty good for the most part from what I've experienced. What I admire most about them is that they release games within a month of each other right on time.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 02:16:41 PM »
Alright, today's release list only seems to consist of one game, but it is a good one: The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition.  It's $10 for a remake of allegedly one of the best Adventure games from the golden age of the genre, so yeah I'm picking it up.  The new hand-painted 2D graphics look gorgeous.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 04:15:26 PM »
Alright, today's release list only seems to consist of one game, but it is a good one: The Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition.  It's $10 for a remake of allegedly one of the best Adventure games from the golden age of the genre, so yeah I'm picking it up.  The new hand-painted 2D graphics look gorgeous.

The entire list of those games must be mine!

I think Dig was my favorite of the old LA P&C games.

Does anyone thing the Rebel Assault games will come at some point to? Those were interesting. I never played the second one but remember the first being a fun arcade shooter. It felt a lot like an expanded and fleshed out version of the old arcade Star Wars game (the vertex one I think they were referred to with the wire frame models).
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »

Does anyone thing the Rebel Assault games will come at some point to? Those were interesting. I never played the second one but remember the first being a fun arcade shooter. It felt a lot like an expanded and fleshed out version of the old arcade Star Wars game (the vertex one I think they were referred to with the wire frame models).

I think they will, Lucasarts seems serious about mining their back catalog (finally).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 05:31:03 PM »

I think they will, Lucasarts seems serious about mining their back catalog (finally).

Looks like our hopefulness in the new LA president has paid off. He said he wanted to explore more of their back catalog and call upon more old IPs of theirs.

I always had hoped for a Dig movie.
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »
Man, there are some really obtuse puzzles in Secret of Monkey Island.  I haven't gotten stuck this many times in an Adventure game in quite a while, something I'm still not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »
It took me a long time to figure out a lot of the puzzles in those games as well. I think I caved to guides several times on all of them. Back then they were harder to find as well. I'm going to try and avoid guides this time around.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:16:27 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »
Well, Monkey Island's done.  Long story short: it's a very gorgeous game with the new hand-painted 2D sprites and backgrounds, and it makes me hope we see more Lucasarts classics restored like this. My only complaint with the graphics is that when you're in "Special Edition" mode you don't have the SCUMM HUD on-screen, so most of your inventory management and whatnot is going to be done with keyboard shortcuts. Also, while the art is very nice, the animation is not. It's not uncommon to see characters with a whopping 2-3 frame animation routine, though it's not a huge issue. The puzzles in this game, though, can be very obtuse and I got stuck frequently, requiring quite a few trips to Ye Old FAQ. Often the solution would be some obscure use of an item that either didn't make much sense to use there, or it would be an item that's easy to miss. Still, great game and I'm looking forward to the rest of Tales of Monkey Island even more now.

Note: You can play this game with either the new Special Edition visuals or the original version's visuals, though I have no idea why you'd ever want to leave Special Edition mode. The game looks like crap in its original form; the music is tinny; and there is no voice acting.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 03:26:12 AM »
How does dig hold up visually? I remember it being nice for the time.
My Game Collection