Author Topic: REVIEWS: New Play Control! Pikmin  (Read 19522 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: New Play Control! Pikmin
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2009, 12:49:20 AM »
I hate to force people to play new games, but the time limit excuse it silly.
That's not the only reason, it's when you combine that element with the game being a strategy game, which don't really interest me, nor are they anything I've ever had success with. The time limit was somewhat manageable in Majora's Mask because it was a type of game I was familiar with.

If a young kid with no English skills could play Pikmin and enjoy it despite the time limit I think the two of you, experienced videogame playing adults, could have no problem.
Kids can learn anything faster than adults because their minds are still developing and they have no established mindset or comforts. Also, just because I have experience with games doesn't mean I have any amount of skill with them.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 01:12:45 AM »
But the GameCube version could be had for, like, $10. I know the Wii version seems to be better, but... I'm a cheapskate!
That's what I've been saying. While I'm not sure about Gamestop's policies, I know Game Crazy can special order the game from a different store, assuming at least one store in the entire company has a copy of the game and it's a request within reason (i.e. no special orders for Secret of Mana on SNES).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2009, 02:15:10 AM »
But the GameCube version could be had for, like, $10. I know the Wii version seems to be better, but... I'm a cheapskate!
That's what I've been saying. While I'm not sure about Gamestop's policies, I know Game Crazy can special order the game from a different store, assuming at least one store in the entire company has a copy of the game and it's a request within reason (i.e. no special orders for Secret of Mana on SNES).

I've never done it, but I have looked on GameStop's web site and they appeared to be able to check if a used game was in stock at a different store and you could have it sent to your preferred store if you wanted from what I understood.

That would be funny if people did try to special order games like Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. There would be long and expensive wait lists.

Mop_it_up, if the word strategy game is concerning you because you don't like Warcraft and Star Craft then don't worry. There are very few direct comparisons between those core RTS games and Pikmin. Pikmin could better be considered an RTS for people who don't play RTS type games. It is very approachable and nowhere near the level of play style and complication that you would find in any game like the 'craft series or Warhammer or Battle for Middle Earth or C & C series. Think of it like a hands on ant farm simulator.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 02:57:44 AM »
If a young kid with no English skills could play Pikmin and enjoy it despite the time limit I think the two of you, experienced videogame playing adults, could have no problem.
Kids can learn anything faster than adults because their minds are still developing and they have no established mindset or comforts. Also, just because I have experience with games doesn't mean I have any amount of skill with them.
[/quote]

So? Last summer I taught a computer basics class for adults, and many of them were in their mid to late 50s. Yes, age can limit learning, but does NOT make it impossible.

In all honesty, you are just looking for excuses to not play the game.

We have given you pointers, tips, advice, facts and explained to you so the game is less intimidating all you have done is throw excuses left and right and using every negative post towards your own defense.

"I don't want to rent the game because I don't want to pay for something I don't own"

"I rather pay 10 bucks for the GC version"

"But its an RTS game!"

"I get panicky if there's a time limit"

"I'm not good at games"

Excuses, excuses, excuses and more excuses. I know we are talking about a game, but I personally can't stand people who do nothing but say excuses just to get out of stuff.

If you have a slight interest in this game, you'll just play it and be done with it. But obviously, you are just beating about the bush, hoping to prove your fears right instead of proving it for yourself.

Pikmin is a great game. I am done trying to convince you that. Just do whatever the hell you want.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2009, 03:19:51 AM »
I'm not questioning whether or not it is a great game, because I'm sure it is, I'm questioning whether or not it is a game for me. You're right though, I am looking for excuses because this game's been out for over seven years now and I'm trying to justify my never buying it before. It isn't working. I think the question has now become "which version should I get", though to answer that I just need to read a comparison and decide if the new features are worth paying for.

In any case, I apologize for any annoyance my indecisiveness has caused you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 04:05:02 AM »
That would be funny if people did try to special order games like Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. There would be long and expensive wait lists.
You'd be surprised. Game Crazy gets the oddest requests.
Excuses, excuses, excuses and more excuses. I know we are talking about a game, but I personally can't stand people who do nothing but say excuses just to get out of stuff....

...Just do whatever the hell you want.
Jeez, really? On a message board. Calm down, man.

Anyway, as for NPC Pikmin, I'll probably rent it since I didn't pick it up on Gamecube and it's free. The choice was simple: Super Smash Bros. Melee > Anything. I'm generally average to above average at videogames so I'm iffy on the whole time limit thing. Majora's Mask was a painfully easy game (that one side quest was a pain in the ass though), mostly because the time limit is barely one, especially if you devote the entire 3 days just trying to accomplish ONE thing. Pikmin never really interested me, but then again, I never played. I'm curious what the big deal is and it's one of the few Miyamoto games I haven't at least tried.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
Guys, lay of mop. It's OK if he is not interested in the game. While I think the game is great, I understand that not everybody will like every game. I do hope he will give the Wii version a chance, but it's no big deal if he doesn't.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
I just got the game at Wal-Mart. I haven't played it yet, but at least the box looks nice (the NPC art doesn't look as bad in person, but I still think I will flip it and use the normal boxart).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
I started playing the game today. My first 5 days were fine. I have gotten used to the controls, but I do miss the GameCube controller (moving Pikmin around with the C-Stick felt great). Graphics look about the same, but that is not a problem since the game still looks good today.

I also have already used the feature of re-playing a day. Day 6 was going fine until I was trying to get a ship part and ran into a whole group of Burrowing Snagrets and lost about 80 Pikmin (inlcuding most of my yellow Pikmin). That was un-acceptable, so I chose to go back.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2009, 11:34:52 AM »
I do agree with Jonny and Broodwars that the underground caves in Pikmin 2 were not much fun, but the overworld levels in Pikmin 2 are far superior to the ones in Pikmin 1, and there's more of them.  I like Pikmin 2 better than Pikmin 1 simply because there's MORE game to love.  Pikmin 1 holds a special place in my gaming library, and I'll always be very fond of it, but Pikmin 2 is one of the very very few video games that I've ever played 100% through TWICE.  And yes, there can be a bit of grinding if you want to 100% the game, but the game is so much fun to play, that this didn't bother me at all. 

Anyone who hasn't tried to play any of the Pikmin games yet, I would seriously suggest trying the series out.  It's one of my favorite Nintendo franchises.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.