Author Topic: Painting's Graphical Future  (Read 2620 times)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Painting's Graphical Future
« on: September 23, 2008, 11:37:41 AM »
Traditionally a painting's graphical prowess has been determined solely by the number of hues it was able to push on the canvas. Everything was about the latest and greatest technology and the everlasting quest to attain life-like graphical output in real-time. While this quest is a noble one, I don't feel that it will truly pave the future of graphics in painting.   

The oil-on-canvas with its underpowered graphical prowess has already provided painters with some of the best looking paintings of this generation. How is this possible, one might ask? Simple, outstanding art direction. We have seen pictures like The Kramer, Monet Bridge, Madonna & Child, de cubism, and the upcoming Kinkade Cottage by the Stream. Every one of these paintings oozes with style and has a very distinctive artistic style that allows its lackluster graphics to outshine the palette-pushers of some of the other mediums.   

Of course this isn't anything new, but only now has it become clearly apparent with the paper napkin and sketch pad significantly underpowered when stacked against their rival easels. Not only will the stylistic presentation of paintings with great art direction outshine most "realistic" portraits, but they will likely stand the test of time as well. As technology pushes forward, these paintings will simply be seen as relics of the past, artifacts of a time when shader technology was only capable of doing so much.   

I think the perfect example of this can be seen when looking at Potato Eaters and Starry Night. Granted Potato Eaters still looks great, but Starry Night is literally breathtaking and its stylistic approach to the sky will always be remembered and revered.   

I can only hope that more paint designers start to see this simple fact and adjust their goals to achieve great art rather than great graphics. While this approach shouldn't and won't work for everyone, it would be nice to see a longer list of artists who take the stylistic approach rather than the realistic one.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Painting's Graphical Future
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:41:11 AM »
Keep it up!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »
What should i do if the painting gets moist?

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 05:46:04 PM »
What should i do if the painting gets moist?

Call your doctor if paint moisture persists for more than 4 hours.

Also, reply here if anyone wants to contribute to a sonic themed mangling.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »
imagine a big screen tv with a touch panel used to operate photoshop about 3 x 4 ft with 1 million by 1.5 million resolution, and then a smaller monitor being used t operate the pallete and tools
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:26:30 AM »
Just read this, hilarious.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »
Keep it up!

I can't stop.. I've got enough weeklies for over a month