Author Topic: IGN exclusive screen further hints at the removal of the bubble guard?  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
There has been a lot of speculation going on lately as to if the class "bubble" guard system would make a return.

Well IGN has a few (See: 3) exclusive screen shots from the game. The only one of real interest is this:

Link fighting Pit.

It would seem like Link is blocking the attack in a more traditional fighting fashion.

Now this could also be Link charging for his forward + A smash move but the white "movement" graphic on his foot may suggest other wise. (When characters in Melee used the dodge function they created a similar effect, IIRC).

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:IGN exclusive screen further hints at the removal of the bubble guard?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:52:54 AM »
There were lots of little effects near characters feet when they were charging a move.  It was everywhere in SSBM.  I suspect this is the same.

Guarding isn't entertaining... nor is it that great for screen shots.  I think the marketers realize this and hence we won't see promotional material with anyone guarding.

Show me an official screen shot of SSBM that has a character with their guard up...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: IGN exclusive screen further hints at the removal of the bubble guard?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 02:04:57 AM »
I think he's charging.  I mean the bubble could be gone but I really hope they don't go to traditional blocking animations.  I hope they keep something like the bubble even if its no the bubble itself.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:07:26 AM »
He's also got the same light on his blade that charging provided in Twilight Princess.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 02:36:02 AM »
I hope he is just charging...because the Bubble was the best representation of a block for this series...and it helped players understand they are blocking attacks from every angle and means of attack.  

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 03:50:47 AM »
That doesn't look like Link's blocking.  I remind you that Link has a shield that he'd use for that.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 04:06:00 AM »
I'm glad to see my first attempt at a jokingly serious thread was taken so seriously <3

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 04:19:53 AM »
You're going to have to point out where the "jokingly" is for those of us with actual senses of humor.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 04:40:06 AM »
This is not the Funhouse.  THIS>>>>>IS>>>>>>SMAAAAASSSSSSHHHHH!!!!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 08:31:23 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
You're going to have to point out where the "jokingly" is for those of us with actual senses of humor.

The last paragraph was actually a play on all those going insane over ridiculously non-sensical small details with other things in screenshots. Such as the blue monitor or the clouds in the intro FMV sequence.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 09:21:12 AM »
Weak.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 09:25:39 AM »

Originally posted by: TVman
Weak.

Sorry.

I'll do better next time I promise.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 09:37:41 AM »
I don't see anything in the first post that indicates you were joking.

However, the picture in question is intentionally deceiving: I'm guessing it's a picture of Pit and Link each charging smash attacks (indicated by the sparks on each of their weapons) but Sora has placed them in such a way that it looks as though they're engaged in an epic sword battle.

They did a lot of this with Melee, making the fights seem more "epic" than they truly are.

And by the way, stick with your theory, don't try to pass it off as a joke because people are being antagonistic towards it. You had the guts to speculate and that still makes you better than the people who ridicule you for it.

Besides, when I first looked at the screenshot, I thought it might have been a new means of blocking as well, but I think the truth is, the bubble will stay not because it's tradition but because the bubble is the most "casual friendly" blocking system and we all know how big Nintendo is on making everything more casual friendly right now.  
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

Originally posted by: TVman
Weak.

Sorry.

I'll do better next time I promise.

It's ok, we've all made bad threads before.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 09:53:36 AM »
It really wasn't a theory lol they are both clearly doing the Forward + A smash attack to one another.

I shouldn't have posted this so early in the morning, things seem better than they actually are with lack of sleep.

In all seriousness though removing the bubble would completely change how Smash plays and they probably won't be getting rid of it.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 10:40:23 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
And by the way, stick with your theory, don't try to pass it off as a joke because people are being antagonistic towards it. You had the guts to speculate and that still makes you better than the people who ridicule you for it.

Hold on.  Nobody's ridiculing anyone for speculation here.  TVman and I were both a little harsh about the supposed joke, but that's different, and I wouldn't say it reached a level worthy of the word "ridicule."

Besides, when I first looked at the screenshot, I thought it might have been a new means of blocking as well, but I think the truth is, the bubble will stay not because it's tradition but because the bubble is the most "casual friendly" blocking system and we all know how big Nintendo is on making everything more casual friendly right now.

I hope the bubble stays (although I could live without power shielding, which is so hard to time it just seems random).  I think that if the picture of Ike that started this speculation is really depicting a block, then it's possible that the picture was taken the moment the bubble disappeared while Ike was still in a defensive stance.  

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 11:09:27 AM »

I hope the bubble stays (although I could live without power shielding, which is so hard to time it just seems random).  I think that if the picture of Ike that started this speculation is really depicting a block, then it's possible that the picture was taken the moment the bubble disappeared while Ike was still in a defensive stance.

I have also resigned myself to the same idea, that the screen cap was taken after the shield had disappeared. That still does not explain the fact that not a single piece of media on the game has shown a bubble shield at all.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 11:50:26 AM »

Honestly, I think the bubble was there but it was removed because, yes, they never showed the shield bubble in any of the promotional Melee shots unless the update was about the shield bubble.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64