Author Topic: The DualSuck  (Read 8454 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: The DualSuck
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 12:32:51 PM »
"The C-stick isn't a fair analogy. You couldn't use it as a regular analog stick. And the GameCube's problem is the D-pad's size and sensitivity, not the placement."

Luigi's Mansion uses the C-stick for turning and I never felt any discomfort.  Same with herding Pikmin.  I'm purely talking about the position here and not the shape (I think both Cube sticks being identical is a better design).  And I think the Gamecube's crappy d-pad isn't just because of size (though that's a big part) but also because of the placement.  I find that when controlling a d-pad favoured game on other controllers with off center d-pads (Dreamcast, Xbox) there is again a certain awkwardness.  For a d-pad nothing feels as tight as having that d-pad in the main position.  But with analog sticks I find that having it in the center is not quite as crucial.  I don't find using the analog stick on the Dualshock that difficult.  Using an off center d-pad is harder.  Obviously the center position is the best method for both but the analog stick seems to be hurt less by being off center.  So logically if one has to go to the side it should be the analog stick.

The whole idea is very theoretical unless I made some sort of prototype.  Hell odds are in a few months I might go back to thinking a centered analog stick is the better model.

One part of it is finding the right place to press.  With a d-pad you are essentially pushing four buttons so if you have to "feel" for it you're more likely to press in the wrong direction.  But an analog stick is much easier to "find" since it automatically centers and thus is in the same place every time.  You find the center and then move it in the direction you want.  You only have to know one place to find instead of four.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 12:50:30 PM »
I hate the Dual Shock too, i've spent hundreds of hours on it with racing games and it's permanently damaged by thumb, sometimes I can't even finish long races. I'm angry because the GC controller is PERFECT for racing games (nice big A button and comfortable grip) but there are no actual racing games on it.

Pretty much every game sucks with the dual shock, because the buttons placement is just crap, and the thing wasn't even designed to fit in your hands comfortably. Usually I just forget about it but I would rather be using the GC controller. Bring on the boomerang even.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:The DualSuck
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 12:50:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Nope, thread ends after I say how much the DualShock sucks...Which I just did...

Well then! Maybe you'd prefer this!

Ah haw haw haw haaaaaaa *SMOKE BOMB, RUNS INTO DOOR FRAME AND GETS KNOCKED OUT*

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 12:54:12 PM »
Man... those top buttons look REALLY awkward to press, and the dpad and buttons are at a weird angle. Still better than Dual Shock

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 12:57:28 PM »
All these arguments are redundant because of the HUGE Xbox controller. Now that was an abomination!

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 12:58:54 PM »
I always figured the boomerang would have been comfortable.  They shouldn't have trashed it because of the complaints.  They all would have been forgotten in a couple of months if it worked, much like everyone who bitched and moaned about the name Wii.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 12:59:47 PM »
The joysticks aren't even on there, it's just grey circles! Plz buy joystick attachments for $27 more, along with the adaptor to plug in your PS2 memory cards. And a HDTV, and a cinema, and a Westfield shopping complex. And then pay $9 to download a trailer of a game that will cost $120. Also you'll need a new house, with vents. Everywhere. A mansion. Under the sea to keep the PS3 cool. All this to play a port of last years Need for Speed. Watch out GBA!!! Gonna get'cha.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 01:28:03 PM »

Originally posted by: SixthAngel
I always figured the boomerang would have been comfortable.  They shouldn't have trashed it because of the complaints.  They all would have been forgotten in a couple of months if it worked, much like everyone who bitched and moaned about the name Wii.

I think they trashed it because they had to slap in motion control at the last minute, and the best way to do that was with their traditional controller.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 05:22:39 PM »
I find the DualShock kinda uncomfortable... it's D-Pad plain sucks and it's hard to remember which button is which....

the X360 controller I found pretty comfortable, but the D-Pad is simply horrible, and using the triggers is "painful" after a while (like it was on the DC, especially after a long CT or JGR session :3).... I must say if it had the DC's D-Pad and GC's triggers, the X360 pad would be simply awesome....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »
The dual shock being unergonomic is not an opinion, is a fact, the only people who would find it more confortable than practically any other controller are sony fanboys  that have played with the thing since it was released, just look at the definition of what something ergonomic is, that thing does not fit the description, even the boomerang looks more confortable.

And I will defend the N64 controller since is the best controller ever made, with GC as a close second, an hibrid of those two would be the gaming gods' gift to humankind.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 06:29:48 PM »
Mantidor, I love you.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »
Just use a banana and be done with it.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »
I never found the Cube's D-pad as problematic.  I think it's better than Nintendo's previously flat d-pads, and far better than the SP's d-pad.

Also, I disagree about the Classic Controller's influences being the Dual Shock.  I finally got a hold of one today, and it feels and looks much different in person.  From the shoulder buttons to the d-pad and analog sticks, the controller is much better.  I think the shape is a meld between the cube and the SNES controller almost perfectly.  Considering that Nintendo probably believed the Wii would sell first to Cube owners, they placed the D-pad in the primary position, as any of their gamers probably would have a Cube controller if they needed an analog stick there for a VC game.  That only leaves the secondary position for the analog stick, and then when you look at the position of LZ and RZ, it becomes more evident that the controller is Nintendo's independant design, and not that of a copycat.  That's only my opinion, though.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 03:44:06 AM »
*shrug*  I would really like to see the back of the Boomerang controller.  If the second triggers are where I think they should be I really hope they release it later on as an accessory.  It could easily be quite comfortable.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2007, 07:21:04 AM »
I personally never had anything bad to say about the batarang... but then again I liked the original big XBox controller very much... whish is strange considering I have small hands!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I personally never had anything bad to say about the batarang... but then again I liked the original big XBox controller very much... whish is strange considering I have small hands!
o_O

even the NES pad is more comfortable than the Xbox controller....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline AwesomeMan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 04:55:43 PM »
i kinda like the smaller xbox controller, the big one sucks though(still better than PS') the 360 has quite a comfy controller too.

and xbox/x360 by far has the best Dpad out of current consoles. but the best digital control was NeoGeo pocket color's Dstick thing(best thing for fighting games ever)