Author Topic: Wii Loading Times  (Read 4642 times)

Offline Edfishy

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Wii Loading Times
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:16:02 AM »
Something I've been curious about is the loading times for the Wii.  Is it about a GameCube equivelant or is it similiar to the Xbox?  I'm betting that most of the launch games are not utilizing the whole 4.5 gigs on the discs, so they may not be too much of an indication for how long the loading times will be in future Wii games.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Loading Times
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 06:36:11 AM »
It's not so bad. You usually get load times at the beginning of a level of Red Steel, then for a couple seconds at checkpoints but that's it.

They're definitely worse than the GC, but they're more than acceptable, especially when compared to the PSP or the 9 minute PS3 load times.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:48:03 AM »
How are the load times for the first party games?  Third party games having load times doesn't surprise me.  Third party games had load times on the Cube while first party games almost never did.

"They're definitely worse than the GC, but they're more than acceptable"

*Sigh* Load times should be getting better, not worse.  Oh well.  As long as it's limited to companies like EA or Ubisoft that I never buy games from anyway it won't matter.

Offline Rhoq

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Loading Times
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:50:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
How are the load times for the first party games?

Zelda's load times are pretty much transparent.

Excite Truck's are brief and consistent with load times on the GameCube.  
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 06:50:23 AM »

How are the load times for the first party games?  Third party games having load times doesn't surprise me.  Third party games had load times on the Cube while first party games almost never did.

*Sigh* Load times should be getting better, not worse.  Oh well.  As long as it's limited to companies like EA or Ubisoft that I never buy games from anyway it won't matter.

Load times have as much to do with the medium as the hardware, so don't expect them to get a whole lot better.

And how ironic Mr. "Nintendo Doesn't Do Enough to Get Third Party Support" doesn't buy from the two largest third parties...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 06:52:10 AM »

Maybe its because the more info stored on a disc the more the machine needs to read and load.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 07:04:33 AM »
"And how ironic Mr. 'Nintendo Doesn't Do Enough to Get Third Party Support' doesn't buy from the two largest third parties..."

These are also the two third parties that support EVERY system, even the N-Gage.  If I gave a sh!t about them there would be less reason to want more third party support.  I usually support Japanese third parties as they tend to not make as much souless generic spludge designed for mass consumption, ported to every platform imaginable, and forgotten about by everyone in time for the annual sequel.

"Zelda's load times are pretty much transparent.

Excite Truck's are brief and consistent with load times on the GameCube."

Good.  I would consider Wave Race: Blue Storm to be the longest load times I consider acceptable in a first party Nintendo game.  It's okay to have a short screen when a track loads up provided that once I'm playing everything is smooth.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 07:09:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian SaneGood.  I would consider Wave Race: Blue Storm to be the longest load times I consider acceptable in a first party Nintendo game.  It's okay to have a short screen when a track loads up provided that once I'm playing everything is smooth.

That's what you get from Red Steel. Maybe an 8-10 second load time when the level is loading, but then you only get maybe 3 seconds at each checkpoint, and that's an average of 15-30 minutes of gameplay in between.

10 seconds is more than acceptable for so much gameplay time between levels.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
That's what you get from Red Steel. Maybe an 8-10 second load time when the level is loading, but then you only get maybe 3 seconds at each checkpoint, and that's an average of 15-30 minutes of gameplay in between.

10 seconds is more than acceptable for so much gameplay time between levels.

I'm glad you posted that. I was beginning to think that it was a flaw in the game because Red Steel just freezes up for a few seconds whenever you arrive at a checkpoint. Now it makes sense, though they probably should have the "disc loading" icon displayed to help avoid the confusion.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 07:29:09 AM »
I've only played Zelda and Wii Sports, but from my experience with those games, I must reply with, "What loading times?"  

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 07:58:26 AM »
Zelda definitely has loading times, but does an excellent job of masking them, similar to Metroid on the GameCube.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline Leck

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 09:36:04 AM »
I remember having to wait half an hour for my c64 tape drive to load, and people are worried about 8-10 seconds?

:|
[ something witty here ]

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 09:44:03 AM »

Originally posted by: TrueNerd
I've only played Zelda and Wii Sports, but from my experience with those games, I must reply with, "What loading times?"

I also only have those two games at the moment.  But the load time I do notice doesn't have to do with disc reading, but the Wii Channel menu itself.  I'm surprised that that has to take as long as it does.  The shadowy flash of Wii Channel boxes before they all appear annoys me.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 09:57:19 AM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
The shadowy flash of Wii Channel boxes before they all appear annoys me.
That's funny, because when I first hooked up my Wii, there was nothing but black during loading, and I was happy when the firmware update added that.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 10:16:57 AM »
Double Post Error......Sorry

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 10:18:34 AM »

Good.  I would consider Wave Race: Blue Storm to be the longest load times I consider acceptable in a first party Nintendo game.  It's okay to have a short screen when a track loads up provided that once I'm playing everything is smooth.

That was an awesome load screen just for the fact that you got to move that blob around and create ripples and whatnot. All games with load screens of WR:BS's length should have little interactive elements in their load screens.

“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 10:21:26 AM »
I agree the Wavrace load screen was nice, has any other game used something like that?

i thought something was wrong with my system when i saw those blank Wii Channels, only to find out later that something completely different was wrong with my system....Fatal error code 110213.  I'll remember that number for the rest of my life....hopefully that code will be used as a trivia question someday, maybe I'll win big....

Anyways yeah load times seem very short, I'd love to see someone do a loading comparison with Wii, 360, and PS3, oh and also a stress test/destruction test.  So far I've heard a 360 has survived a car accident, where it was thrown out of a vehicle and then ran over by a car.  It still worked!

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 11:17:55 AM »
Fifa 2007 has the best loading.......thing ever! You get to control Ranoldinho and try to score on a keeper. It's a nice way to get your shooting down.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 02:27:01 PM »
I'm glad/sad I'm not the only one we got a defective Wii.  Yeah the load times for the Channels are terrible compared to the games themselves.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 02:32:48 PM »
I only have Wii Sports and Dragon Ball Z and the load times are hardley noticable on DBZ. And they are somewhat entertaining.  Wii Sports occasionaly has a load time but I havent noticed it and frankly dont care either way cuz its really not an issue to me.

But I have been playing mine non stop with like ten to fifteen people over at my house all day since I got mine so I could be not noticing due to lack of sleep.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Edfishy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »

Yeah the load times for the Channels are terrible compared to the games themselves.

You mean the Wii's with the broken operative systems have the terrible Channel loading times, right?  That's not good if you need to sit there loading menus.