Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap  (Read 5321 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:49:03 AM »
I can't really pretend this is a retro review since the game is just two years old...but I still love to watch myself type, so here goes!

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap was the all-new Zelda game for Game Boy Advance.  The story has Link working with a race of tiny mouse-like people called the Minish to repower the Four Sword and defeat Vaati, a villain who petrified Princess Zelda in his search for the Light Force.

Capcom didn't take a lot of risks with the game.  Take the plot and replace Vaati, Four Sword and Light Force with Ganon, Master Sword and Triforce and you've got the plot from any of the "main" Legend of Zelda games.  Many of the characters and songs are taken straight from previous Zelda games too. That's not all bad because it makes the game feel almost like a "best of Zelda" title.  The problem is that it doesn't have much of an identity for itself and when Capcom tries to invent new characters or compose new songs, they don't always fit in with the rest of the recycled Zelda content.  The classic songs are great, but many of the new ones sound like good yet very generic RPG tunes. Identifying all the returning characters is a lot of fun but some of the new ones fall flat.  Luckily the Minish feel pretty "at home" in the Zelda universe because Link spends plenty of time with them.

Where Capcom did take some risks is in the item design - and the payoff is decent.  Of course classic items like the Boomerang and bombs are still there, but some of the new ones are pretty cool too.  I especially liked the Gust Jar which can remove enemy defenses and also doubles as a replacement for the Hookshot up until you find a better item later on.  Everything controls nicely, and the save-anywhere feature is very convenient.

The level design is good old 2D Zelda stuff, with a couple of new elements.  Link can create magical copies of himself which allows for some fun new puzzles.  Link can also shrink which allows him to interact with the Minish people and also opens up some new areas in dungeons.  This is a pretty neat take on the "two worlds" idea that has been used in other Zelda titles and my only complaint is that sometimes you have to do a lot of backtracking in Link's slower tiny form.  It would be nice to be able to warp back to the point where Link shrunk himself.  Minor point.

If there's anything wrong with the dungeons it's that there are only six of them.  I'm not asking for each new Zelda game to top all others in sheer size, but it would be nice if more of them would at least match the original standard of nine dungeons.  It's still a good length for a Game Boy game, but I wish it was a bit longer.

Like a lot of games these days, The Minish Cap tries to make up for its shortage of levels by throwing in a lot of collecting.  Kinstones are really neat at first: pieces are lying around and you can match the pieces up with other people in the game to unlock secrets.  What makes Kinstones a pain is that some people will only want to match up once out of every few visits, making it hard to tell if a character has any Kinstones.  On top of this, the rewards for matching Kinstones are often boring: Rupees or yet another Kinstone.  How about some Heart containers, Capcom?  The Kinstone set-up isn't bad, but it wears thin unless you're desperate to extend the game.

The challenge level is actually not bad.  Like all the recent Zelda games, this one cuts the damage to about 1/4 of what you'd expect from the classics but healing items aren't as powerful as in other games, so earning a ton of heart containers doesn't make Link invincible like it does in other recent Zelda games.  The shortage of levels is still an issue, but at least I didn't feel like I was breezing through the entire game.

In spite of some shortcomings in the depth and the feel of the game, The Minish Cap is still a very solid Zelda game that's great where it counts: fun gameplay.  It's not the best 2D game in the series but it's a worthy addition and a great GBA game.

Four Swords out of Five Swords.

See what I did there?
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »
Minish Cap gets 5/5 EVERY DAY.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 06:08:25 AM »
Not to me!  The game winds up being like 50% secrets/collecting.  I disapprove.  It's still a good game but I've played better Zeldas.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 11:06:02 PM »
5/5 EVERYDAY, god d@mmit!  jk, I agree with the score no game really deserves a perfect score.  This one though maybe a 4.8/5, thats just me though some people just hate decimal points.

I haven't finished it all the way though, it kinda got lost in the shuffle of getting a DS and also taking up a job and school full time.  I recommend anyone thinking to do that to just shoot themselves in the head, you'll get to the same place but faster trust me.  Well unless you really enjoy your job....

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:11:44 AM »
Ha ha, what can I say, this Zelda is a black sheep to me.  That's part of the reason I don't give out partial scores...it forces me to truly decide, "Is this Zelda game amazing or good?"  Not, "Is this Zelda game a 9.2 or an 8.9?"

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 06:45:22 PM »
I've always found that the Capcom Zeldas, while very good, just don't have the magic that Nintendo ones do..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 07:28:10 PM »
They seem to have a slightly different sort of magic, to me.
Although I feel they tend to borrow too much from the other games.  Callbacks are awesome, but they have an excess.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 11:23:27 PM »
Minish Cap feels like bad fan-fiction. Loads of characters and locations that appear for no reason other than having been in there before? Check. Main villain is a previously minor villain nobody cared about? Check. Back story explaining where the character's power (Master Sword) comes from completely rewritten? Check. Of course it plays nicely but that setting is just awful, feels like they let a grade schooler write that.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 05:03:04 AM »
Best 2D Zelda since Link's Awakening, and I'm a huge fan of the Oracle games at that...

"Main villain is a previously minor villain nobody cared about?"

What?  WHAT!?  Vaati is the best Zelda villain ever, bar none...BAR...NONE... >=O
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 08:55:52 AM »
So you cared about Vaati when he popped up in Four Swords? Or only for his appearance in Minish Cap?

(and if Wii is awkward in the US, Vaati is awkward in Germany because it means daddy)

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 06:37:05 AM »
Vaati is boring.  Maybe if I'd played Four Swords I'd feel differently, but to me he's just a stock megalomaniac with a slightly interesting back story.

I would have found him more frightening if he'd been after the Triforce...as it stands it feels like he's ignorant of the true source of the Light Power.  I feel like I understand the Zelda universe better than the Vaati does, which makes him feel distinctly non-threatening.

I found Majora's Mask had more personality and was a lot more intimidating.  The Nightmares in Link's Awakening had some really interesting motivation, not just the usual power-hungry stuff.  Ganon isn't especially original, but the way he comes back time and time again and often seems to be a step ahead keeps him interesting.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 06:33:25 AM »
There wasn't much to him in FSA, it was just "Banish Vaati!" instead of "Banish Ganon" and in the end you had to fight Ganon anyway.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 05:05:29 PM »
I would have found him more frightening if he'd been after the Triforce...as it stands it feels like he's ignorant of the true source of the Light Power. I feel like I understand the Zelda universe better than the Vaati does, which makes him feel distinctly non-threatening.

He's not supposed to be frightening, and the reason why he's ignorant is that he's A KID...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 01:17:36 AM »
And an ancient demon that was sealed away for a LOOOONG time.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 02:46:46 AM »
I thought Vaati was a devious Minish sorceror, not a kid.  Guess that point was lost on me.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 04:48:10 AM »
An apprentice, which is generally a child or a teenager.
Vaati is more interesting than Ganon, at least.  Ganon is just an excuse to have a plot, and absolutely nothing else.  At least until Wind Waker, they added some semblance of a character in that.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>